Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Quality of life tip: you can select points of interest (that you've actually been to) in the ship's log to get a hud marker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I like that twice now you've basically solved the Tower of Quantum Knowledge puzzle, and twice you've gone "I don't know what to do here". :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

I like that twice now you've basically solved the Tower of Quantum Knowledge puzzle, and twice you've gone "I don't know what to do here". :allears:

OK I'll bite. What am I not getting here?

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Spoilered for other readers in the thread who may not want to be spoiled:

At 44:32 on the last video, right before the sun explodes, you were targeting the Tower of Quantum Knowledge there in the middle of space. A broken gravity wall will not stop you from getting to the top of the tower here, because there is no gravity in space.

E: vvv I can remove the spoiler if it's too much; I agree with what was said previously, that it's real hard to give vague hints without mentioning the key mechanic that basically unravels (and spoils) any one of the puzzles in this game.

Very Melon fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 23, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jamesman posted:

Reveilled posted:

it's hard to thread the needle between "so vague it's actually unhelpful" and "clue so good it felt like a spoiler".

I'll give it my best, erring on the vague side...What's preventing you from getting up into the Tower of QK? Be specific! edit: Oh and melon just fully spoiled it above me too if you want that. :)

There's nothing wrong with leaving it for later as well. You've kind of scratched the surface of most areas and are familiar with almost everything, now you need to be more thorough.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 23, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Very Melon posted:

E: vvv I can remove the spoiler if it's too much; I agree with what was said previously, that it's real hard to give vague hints without mentioning the key mechanic that basically unravels (and spoils) any one of the puzzles in this game.

In this case, I was asking for specifics, so it's OK. You started off with a timestamp, so I stopped reading further and just went back and looked at my footage and I have realized I'm a big dumb-dumb.

GuavaMoment posted:

You've kind of scratched the surface of most areas and are familiar with almost everything, now you need to be more thorough.

That's more or less the plan. I'll just say now that videos 11 and 12 are going to be a more thorough look at the Ash Twins, and then I'm going to start going with a different approach to things by assessing all the information I've gathered and follow up on leads.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 23, 2022

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
Here's a helpful UI thing people often fail to notice or forget - the landing mode view in the ship displays the globe with poles marked in red/blue for easier navigation around the surface of a planet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's kind of a shame you got spoiled on that. It seemed like you were on the right track by the end of the episode. I guess it's fine if your fine with it, but I think people need to shut up with the wink wink nudge nudge stuff and just wait for you to ask.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nihilarian posted:

It's kind of a shame you got spoiled on that. It seemed like you were on the right track by the end of the episode. I guess it's fine if your fine with it, but I think people need to shut up with the wink wink nudge nudge stuff and just wait for you to ask.

That was where I quit playing the game after trying and failing for two loving hours. A month later I went online specifically to find out how to get past that point.

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
I don't think there are true "I'm a dummy for not seeing this" moments when starting blind with Outer Wilds because the game front-loads you with so much information and so many options for where to go and explore/discover that, even when a puzzle's answer is right in your face, you just don't see it because your brain is busy trying to wrap around all of the stuff you've discovered so far and trying to make sense of it.

As Guava said earlier, now that you've scratched the surface and visited most of the locales, the next step is to pick a lead in the Ship Log and laser focus on it, until there is no more blood to extract from that stone, then pick another topic and repeat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

I can honestly say I was not on the right track. It was not registering with me the way you think it might have been.

When Guava said I basically solved it, I wasn't understanding what they meant, so I figured if I was that close to the answer it was OK to give me a push. Very Melon's answer probably didn't need to be as explicit as it was, since I just used the timestamp to rewatch that part of the video and everything clicked, but in the end I wouldn't say it did any harm.

It's not something I intend to have become a habit from this thread unless I'm feeling completely and utterly stuck, though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I think now's a good time to just ask "How is my gameplay?"

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
It's good! I feel like you have a tendency to overly worry about how you're doing that isn't really warrented, so just try to be more relaxed about the playthrough if you can.

I also think it's probably time to start engaging more actively with the overarching mysteries in the game - looking through the ship logs not just as a checklist of places you've been but really theorizing about what's going on, picking threads to try to hone in on and form active goals for each loop, and engaging with the story as you discover new Nomai text instead of just hurriedly reading through to collect it. Remember, time is paused while reading so it's ok to just take some time and think out loud about what the text is really conveying.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

arteliad posted:

It's good! I feel like you have a tendency to overly worry about how you're doing that isn't really warrented, so just try to be more relaxed about the playthrough if you can.

My original plan was to record everything in advance, prior to starting the thread. If I could change one thing about my approach, it would be that.

I'd like to think that the videos starting with #13 will be a turning point, because that's where recordings will have been done after publishing videos and getting feedback.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Tell me you've never played Kerbal Space Program without telling me you've never played Kerbal Space Program. *jetpacks into the sun*

It was quite amusing when you found the shortcut into the Sunless City, and then immediately turned around. "This is not an option". Then later you did take the shortcut and seemingly completely failed to notice the significance of it.

I know you're a little frustrated, and I know we keep saying it, but this is exactly what we want to see. You did great with everything about the anglerfish fossil.

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
One of the things I've been noticing since episode 1 is that James likes to put his foot to the pedal when flying in the ship, which more often than not seems to lead him into violent contact with the sun and other celestial objects. The flight model in this game follows Newtonian physics, so it may make it easier to slow down and avoid a collision by only using thrust to accelerate you part of the way to your destination and let inertia take you there - it's much harder to slow down if you've been constantly accelerating while flying to where you need to be.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GuavaMoment posted:

Tell me you've never played Kerbal Space Program without telling me you've never played Kerbal Space Program. *jetpacks into the sun*

It was quite amusing when you found the shortcut into the Sunless City, and then immediately turned around. "This is not an option". Then later you did take the shortcut and seemingly completely failed to notice the significance of it.

I know you're a little frustrated, and I know we keep saying it, but this is exactly what we want to see. You did great with everything about the anglerfish fossil.

This might be what you want to see. I've already been through this pain once and really don't need to watch it again and again.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Please remember the thing you were told about ghost matter...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brutal Garcon posted:

Please remember the thing you were told about ghost matter...

Never.

(You will be glad to know this is tackled at the start of episode 13.)

Very Melon posted:

One of the things I've been noticing since episode 1 is that James likes to put his foot to the pedal when flying in the ship, which more often than not seems to lead him into violent contact with the sun and other celestial objects. The flight model in this game follows Newtonian physics, so it may make it easier to slow down and avoid a collision by only using thrust to accelerate you part of the way to your destination and let inertia take you there - it's much harder to slow down if you've been constantly accelerating while flying to where you need to be.

This is a very fair observation. You are correct that I am not really controlling the SPACEship like I'm in space. Will work on this, for sure.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You've pretty much noticed by now that Outer Wilds is a game that is 70% information. You can play the game again but you can't unlearn the information. Because of that, most of the Outer Wilds audience ends up being fans that are looking for that experience, vicariously. So when your friend says "that's what they're looking for" he's right.

The game being mostly about info also means that no cycle is wasted as long as you are learning. Even if what you're learning is "don't do this".

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nihilarian posted:

You've pretty much noticed by now that Outer Wilds is a game that is 70% information. You can play the game again but you can't unlearn the information. Because of that, most of the Outer Wilds audience ends up being fans that are looking for that experience, vicariously. So when your friend says "that's what they're looking for" he's right.

The game being mostly about info also means that no cycle is wasted as long as you are learning. Even if what you're learning is "don't do this".

Deathloop also does this, but the information changes on a new run through the game even though where you find the information doesn't.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, you had such an easier time getting through the Lakebed Cave than I did. It took me a ton of tries to navigate that maze in the bottom, then I eventually gave up and accidentally discovered the quantum rule from one of the rock's other locations.

I'm still not sure if the stalagmites in that first maze are quantum or not.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The thing about stretching the time limit to an hour is you'd have to more than double the downtime you have to wait for stuff, or you'd have to more than double the amount of content in the game

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
But you can sleep to pass time.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jamesman posted:

But you can sleep to pass time.
only at campfires

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So add more campfires. :mad:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It would be disadvantageous to make the cycle too long.

Above all else, the solar system in Outer Wilds is dynamic. Everything in the world goes through stages during the loop; the islands on Giant's Deep get launched and fall back, the sand on the Hourglass Twins slowly falls from Ash Twin to Ember Twin, Brittle Hollow slowly crumbles, maybe some other stuff we haven't seen yet but trust me I could go on, all the while the planets keep on orbitin'. Everywhere you look there are environments that go through stages and little windows of opportunity for various things that open and close.

These things not only needed to be meticulously thought through and then designed and implemented, they also need to be comprehensible to the player in a way that lets them feel out when they need to be in a particular place if something time-sensitive is happening. There needs to be enough stuff that the changes are visible, and the changes need to come about quickly enough to get across the point of what's happening and often enough that there's a reasonable chance of stumbling across them or experimenting to find them.

Also players need to organically time out of the loop at some point, and the solar system is very dangerous; the loop needs to be short enough that a good amount of players will plausibly survive long enough.

22 minutes is way, way more generous than admittedly it feels like it is sometimes.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Aw man, you need to take one more look at the High Energy Lab. You missed one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a video game.

Tenebrais posted:

Man, you had such an easier time getting through the Lakebed Cave than I did.

Same same.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

(Now that these aren't pre-recorded) Remember, you already found another, faster, way into (or out of) the Sunless city.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brutal Garcon posted:

(Now that these aren't pre-recorded)

I've been recording more videos already. You will never catch me!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I hope you will understand why I might not have clued in on how to handle ghost matter before this. The "tutorial patch" doesn't really give you much in the way of experimentation or really strong information on what ghost matter actually is. "You can see it in a camera!" But there's nothing here to really indicate why that matters or how to effectively utilize that information, because the entire patch of ghost matter is dangerous, even if it seems like it shouldn't be if you go by the camera images. It wasn't that I "forgot" anything about it. It's just that my take-away from this tutorial was that ghost matter was dangerous and I needed to stay away from it, possibly until I got something later on to help me deal with it.

But the important thing is I do NOW understand it and that's one major obstacle removed from further progression.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 13, 2022

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
This was a much more fun episode now that you're no longer stressed out about the playthrough!

I'll note that there's a 'photo mode' button listed in the scout launcher UI that I don't think you've tried.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

arteliad posted:

I'll note that there's a 'photo mode' button listed in the scout launcher UI that I don't think you've tried.

Three people have pointed this out to me after this video, and while it is true I didn't notice that was an option, I'm not sure what I did "wrong" that everyone all at once decided I should be doing something different with the scout.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You did nothing wrong, people just jump over themselves to point out an easier way to do something.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
Where people draw the line with backseating is subtle and different for everybody, but it's notoriously easy to miss things in the UI especially for streamers/lets players. I've watched multiple playthroughs of people that never saw the option. We've also had discussions in this thread about things that are actual puzzles/mysteries, and my prior comment about a UI element didn't get any pushback, so this felt pretty safe to me.

As for why now, you just released an episode that prominently featured taking a bunch of photos. It felt like a pretty natural time to point it out. Apologies if anybody feels it was over the line, though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn't think it was over the line to point out something in the UI that I missed, no. I just found it amusing how so many people at once shared that same bit of info with me after this episode, and was trying to figure out if there was something I did where that would be a "better" method for.

To me, launching the scout was better because it showed when it was in a hazard area. And I was taking lots of pictures to observe any changes to the ghost matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I see where you're coming from with the ghost matter tutorial, it could definitely use a safe zone.

I actually spent most of the game not realizing you didnt have to throw your scout to take pictures. It made certain points inconvenient.