Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I just got good at taking a picture the instant my scout fired instead of taking a standing photo. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

GuavaMoment posted:

Aw man, you need to take one more look at the High Energy Lab. You missed one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a video game.

Same same.

What was it? I just watched it and I’m not sure what he missed

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

bop bop perano posted:

What was it? I just watched it and I’m not sure what he missed

In a video that's just new to James' channel but not posted here he goes back to the high energy lab! And still misses the thing. It's not like the devs put a scroll right next to the thing you need to notice to get you to notice it!

In the comments apparently in the next NEXT video he goes back and does the thing.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

GuavaMoment posted:

In a video that's just new to James' channel but not posted here he goes back to the high energy lab! And still misses the thing. It's not like the devs put a scroll right next to the thing you need to notice to get you to notice it!

In the comments apparently in the next NEXT video he goes back and does the thing.

I guess I mean specifically what was it specifically that you said was the coolest thing you’ve seen in a game? I assumed it was the black and white holes but he found those, I can’t remember much else that you find there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

bop bop perano posted:

I guess I mean specifically what was it specifically that you said was the coolest thing you’ve seen in a game? I assumed it was the black and white holes but he found those, I can’t remember much else that you find there.

You can recreate the experiment that made the time travel visible to the naked eye.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Tenebrais posted:

You can recreate the experiment that made the time travel visible to the naked eye.

Yeah, I just thought I saw him do that, but never mind, I’m going to continue watching the let’s play anyways.

Edit: nvm, I forgot that giving power to the warp cores or whatever is what makes the time anomaly work, I forgot how obvious it is, I thought I just wasn’t seeing the scout arrive early

imhotep fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 18, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the late posting. With Outer Wilds, I've been trying to publish videos on YouTube a day before posting them in this thread, but today was a busy day and I fell asleep when I got home.

When editing this video, I noticed what I missed and the next video will address that. Buuuuut I've got a little bit of an editing bottleneck so the next episode might not be out this week.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Good job navigating the Sun Station gap! It's easy forget, being so close to the sun's surface, that you're still in orbit and need to move like you're in zero-G. The natural move is to try jumping and jetpacking but that'll just put you on an elliptical suborbit straight into the sun's surface. Ask me how I know!

I do like what's going on narratively with the sun station. You need to have figured out a few things to even get there so you have probably learned that the Nomai had a plan that involved blowing up the sun (or at least loving with it somehow with that station). But once you finally get there you discover it never worked, the sun is just old, and you perhaps realise that of course they didn't succeed in blowing it up, they've been dead for hundreds of thousands of years.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 24, 2022

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Huh, I don't think I've ever tried to retrieve the scout while there were two of them present, it's cool they came up with a unique message for that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've always assumed the crystals covering the nomai in the interloper were shrapnel from the core explosion

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I'm really happy you're enjoying things now that certain parts are coming into focus.

I also did the probe thing to find Feldspar at first, but you don't have to. You could have just followed his harmonica signal and not run into any anglerfish.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
But I felt so smart and clever doing it the way I did. :(

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Apropos of nothing, projection stones have the information you'd want on the stone themselves, it doesn't matter where you use them. I probably wouldn't use the stone on a broken wall in that case (something I have never seen and didn't know was possible).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

(something I have never seen and didn't know was possible).

People seem to say this a lot about my LPs and usually in the context of "How did you gently caress up that spectacularly?!"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I have finished the base game and am in the process of getting the remaining videos uploaded to YouTube. The plan is gonna be that Michael and I will do a bonus video or two to explore some things I missed and maybe a little bit of achievement hunting, and then I'll get started on the DLC.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jamesman posted:

I have finished the base game and am in the process of getting the remaining videos uploaded to YouTube. The plan is gonna be that Michael and I will do a bonus video or two to explore some things I missed and maybe a little bit of achievement hunting, and then I'll get started on the DLC.

When the time is right, I'd love to hear your thoughts at this moment about how this game can even have DLC. Any ideas? I can't wait for the first DLC video, because the first section of it is just video game perfection.

GuavaMoment posted:

(something I have never seen and didn't know was possible).

Jamesman posted:

People seem to say this a lot about my LPs and usually in the context of "How did you gently caress up that spectacularly?!"

How did you get your ship to run out of fuel? I mean I know how, damage, but I didn't know that was possible.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 22, 2022

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Yeah, if the ship's fuel or oxygen tanks are damaged they'll slowly deplete. Similarly, as I found out the hard way, if the ship's reactor is damaged it will eventually explode. Other things - like the computer, headlights, or autopilot - can be taken out of commission as well, although that seems to be a more common occurrence.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 22, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

When the time is right, I'd love to hear your thoughts at this moment about how this game can even have DLC. Any ideas?

My assumption is that since it's incorporated into the base game, it's going to be an side-story of sorts. Something related to the existing universe, but also something a bit more isolated as its own mystery.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
The side-to-side gravity transfer as you're going to the Southern Observatory is supposed to be much, much more annoying and difficult than you made it look.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Yes, the answer was staring him in the face the whole time. I love those moments.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This game was fascinating to play, a game full of keys and locked doors, but the keys are information and the doors open immediately if you know it (or get lucky).

Fedule posted:

Outer Wilds is one of a not-really-dying-just-vanishingly-rare breed of puzzle game, in which you're not so much exploring a setting solving puzzles as solving the puzzle that is the setting. The comparison I always make is that Outer Wilds isn't like Myst, it's like Riven: The Sequel to Myst, a game which only really actually had two puzzles in it, but in order to even understand what those puzzles were you had to explore and understand almost everything in the game.

From a ways back, but I *hated* Riven when I first played it for that reason. It felt like I was getting nowhere while overlooking all the little puzzles I was solving to get around because nothing made a "puzzle solved" noise. I can look back and appreciate the design of the game but it's the Myst game I most disliked in the moment (except maybe URU, but that's a weird one).

OW landed a lot better for me. I'm not sure how much of it is my age, but they also give you things to figure out from the beginning. It felt much easier to make progress toward *something*, even if I didn't know what that was, and all the bits come together. You say "what's that" and go have a look and can get a lot of the answers on a first visit even if you can't do whatever big thing it's there to do. The computer log helped, noting information and linking stuff so when I was stuck it gave me things to think about.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 6, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Yes, the answer was staring him in the face the whole time. I love those moments.

I'm disappointed flying up there didn't work, I was all prepped to yell "you magnificent bastard I never thought of that".

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I'm disappointed flying up there didn't work, I was all prepped to yell "you magnificent bastard I never thought of that".

Just about every solution that involves piloting yourself somewhere the game doesn't want or expect you to, does work, if you are willing to throw hours of smashing your face on it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The finale will be coming up next, followed by a bonus episode where Michael joins me and tells me to do a bunch of weird things in the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I didn't find the body until after talking to Solanum so I assumed I killed them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I didn't find the body until after talking to Solanum so I assumed I killed them.

By observing them, you did!

(I don't know how quantum physics work.)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jamesman posted:

By observing them, you did!

(I don't know how quantum physics work.)

Since the game doesn't truly spell it out ever, there are (spoiler for safety)six potential versions of Solanum that existed when she was on the moon. Five were killed on each planet version of the moon with the rest of the Nomai, but the sixth version was out of range of that, and survived. Since time doesn't work quite the same way on the sixth location, that's how Solanum is still alive there. An extremely rare game over ending helps to spell this out a little bit. That's maybe one of the weird things your friend will tell you to do?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The quantum moon is one of the cooler bits of this game, even if it does break its own rules a bit.

There's only meant to be one of those orange light towers, right? So why can't you just get in there and flash your lights until you're at the north pole? Also all the scout picture/atmosphere interactions. You also can't keep Solanum alive by looking at a picture of her while you go to another location.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
All that's left for me to do is wait. I really wanted to play this, but couldn't get past timer anxiety. If I had more time instead of like an hour a night after kids go to sleep I may have gotten over it, but I've been telling myself that for a while.

Still tempted to start it up and mess around though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Following this, I'll have a video to put up where I'm joined by Michael/P0LARMic, and he guides me toward a few more things to do/try and I get a few more achievements along the way.

But there's still a few more achievements left for me to get in order to 100% the base game. Are you interested in seeing me clean up on those in another bonus video? The question is brought up in the video with Michael, but I figure it doesn't hurt to bring it up here as well and get a heads-up on if you want to see me do that or not.

There might be a little downtime between the end of the base game and starting up the DLC, as I've been trying to get stuff done for the LP I've got planned for October, AND I've still got videos to edit for We Were Here Forever. Trying to clear some stuff off my plate at the moment and all that. But the DLC will be played soon enough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think everybody freaks out at the music. Everybody DEFINITELY freaks out at the last anglerfish. (it's a quantum illusion and vanishes when you touch it)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Once again, you're all worried because you have no idea what's going on, meanwhile us watching are like "boy, he'll have no idea what's going on here!" But you nailed it, the themes of death and moving on hit you at the end, and it's a really special thing. You're welcome for thanking us for providing support and feedback. I could talk for hours about the ending and this whole game, but let's find a meme to sum it up instead:

Oh, even though you did what I did the first time and found the escape pod to find the vessel to put in the warp core, you can mark the vessel from your ship computer and go straight there. So many people missed this the developers kind of bonk you on the head with this knowledge in the DLC at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I will definitely watch your attempts at 100% if you are going for it. This was a fun ride.