Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FWIW, every time I watch someone stream this they get spoiled on something because chat can't keep its collective mouth shut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Michael joined me for what ended up being sort of a podcast. We do space stuff in the game and talk about the game.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
It's like looking in a mirror. Michael did exactly what I did with Jade, for the exact same reasons, in the much the same way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

One of Michael's comments reminded me, did James find out why the Nomai were killed by the ghost matter explosion but not the Hearthians? There's a lot of video to dig through to find one revelation, and even when you reralize that's why the Nomai died the reason the Hearthians were spared is one tiny detail in one spot that in no way requires you to look at it..

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Bruceski posted:

One of Michael's comments reminded me, did James find out why the Nomai were killed by the ghost matter explosion but not the Hearthians? There's a lot of video to dig through to find one revelation, and even when you reralize that's why the Nomai died the reason the Hearthians were spared is one tiny detail in one spot that in no way requires you to look at it..

Oh yeah, he mentioned the fog was what might have saved the anglerfish; I think being a pocket dimension or whatever the hell it is saved them. But he never spelled it out. I'd spoiler it but there's a small chance that knowledge could be discovered and useful/misleading in the DLC.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

There's actually a third way to bypass the current of Giant's Deep: Wait for the cyclones to lift an island out of the water, position your ship underneath it, and let gravity do the rest.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I don't believe I found anything that spells it out, but my assumption was it had something to do with living in the water.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I've already started playing Echoes of the Eye, so expect those videos to start popping up soon enough.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Your setups for landing on the sun station were on point, but you're unaware of one fact that would have helped you a lot. You probably noticed that the sun station always seemed to be moving faster than you, and you were pushing to catch up. This deep in a gravity well, to go faster, you need to go lower. Lower than the station. Which is obviously scary since the edge of the sun is right there. Everyone's naive intuition is to be above the station and swoop in, which can work but, well...

Good idea on ejecting, I'd never done that. The heavy gravity sometimes traps you in the chair, and even if you do exit the ship there's a moment of disorientation as you regain your bearings. Ejecting solves both issues.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Getting to the Sun station is definitely a lot easier with a basic understanding of orbital mechanics, which is why I considered it a fun challenge myself. Kerbal Space Program prepared me well there, it seems.

Did get stuck inside the ship a few times though, when I attempted landing directly on the station itself. Hadn't even considered using the ejection to make that easier for myself, so props for that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Here we go.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For people worried about the scary stuff, those warnings play it up a bit because they want to make sure people know it can be dialed back but given the nature of the game are wary about explaining what exactly it is they're talking about. In part because some parts of the base game really didn't sit well with some people (I watched a stream, spotted the tornadoes when the streamer didn't, got the game myself and flew out there only to immediately be shot into the core and have a claustrophobia panic attack. Not anything the game could've done about that but between that, the rising sand tunnels, the black hole and the anglerfish a lot of folks have stories of "I loved the game except X nearly broke me").

I'd liken it to the anglerfish; first time you wind up having to engage with it it's going to be startling, after that you at least know where you're engaging with that thing and start learning ways to handle it. Some people can just adjust better than others.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's a common saying that just because something's on the screen doesn't mean the player sees it.

20:30 is a perfect example.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

It's a common saying that just because something's on the screen doesn't mean the player sees it.

20:30 is a perfect example.

I mean, I did see it. I just didn't realize it was something to actually see, because I was so sure I was looking for something else. I disregarded it as just one of the planets or something crossing in front of the sun.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Yes, you can get the achievement for crashing into the satellite before owning the DLC. The PS4 got the pre-dlc update before PC and I did it there.

Aside from me, you're the first player I've seen who avoided the pillar of light on the raft. Like you I immediately regretted doing that, so I jumped to the shore to explore the first area. So you're the first (of many!) people I've seen to do a lap of the stranger first. I'll never get tired of watching people discover the stranger. The way everyone looks up a bit, then more, then all the way over, it's just the greatest game design ever, and collective experience I love trying to experience again. Then I love seeing the thing that happens a few minutes later...which you didn't experience? Or notice? I'm going to need the next video right away please!

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

I absolutely adore this area, and it was very amusing to see how entirely different your first jaunt in it was, and what all you were able to witness. Definitely seconding the desire to see the next video.

You figured out the operation of the door and the rafts so much quicker than I did...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

Then I love seeing the thing that happens a few minutes later...which you didn't experience? Or notice? I'm going to need the next video right away please!

Absolutely perfect timing where I went around the loop without seeing/noticing it.

StarFyter posted:

You figured out the operation of the door and the rafts so much quicker than I did...

Since I got into the habit of using the scout as a light source, I think I just got lucky in stumbling upon the operations. I probably wouldn't have really understood had I been using just the flashlight or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It never occurred to me to look at the angle of the satellite, I don't thing I even noticed that was on there. Just hung out until the Stranger showed up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Your timing for coincidence is impeccable.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Your timing for coincidence is impeccable.

I seriously thought that was scripted, because of how perfect it was.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I seriously thought that was scripted, because of how perfect it was.

That's the fun part of this game, loop just keeps on happening and the player stumbles into it. One person discovers Brittle Hollow is falling apart because they go there late in a loop, someone else learns it when the scenery starts going up past them, they both have very different stories to tell later.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I've seen multiple people witness the dam break for the first time while standing on top of it, which is always fun.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

There is a slight choppiness to this video and a couple more in the future. I do not know what caused it, but it was in the recording and not visible during gameplay, so I didn't know it was happening until after I looked at the recordings.

Someone on YouTube said it made them a bit dizzy, so I wanted to just point it out here because I didn't realize it might create such an issue.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 1, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Using the probe as a winch never occurred to me. I don't think it has the strength to do anything amazing, but that could be a handy tool when things go slightly wrong. Good catch.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
There is a slight choppiness to this video and a couple more in the future. I do not know what caused it, but it was in the recording and not visible during gameplay, so I didn't know it was happening until after I looked at the recordings.

Someone on YouTube said it made them a bit dizzy, so I wanted to just point it out here because I didn't realize it might create such an issue.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

This and the next video will also be a bit choppy. Again, I apologize. I had no idea it was happening until after the recording session and I couldn't figure out a way to fix it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Your determination to not look up, and not use the raft is impressive. I mean yeah, I guess that's what the fuel tanks are for, I've just never seen someone need them so much. It works!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

Your determination to not look up, and not use the raft is impressive.

I am part dog, and therefore I cannot look up.

And I do to use the rafts! It's just sometimes diving into the water and getting thrashed against rocks is more efficient!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So we beat on, non-boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jamesman posted:

And I do to use the rafts! It's just sometimes diving into the water and getting thrashed against rocks is more efficient!

this dude gets it

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is hopefully the last of the scuffed videos.

And I know after watching this video, you will be really turned on and wanting more of me, so please go check out my LP of Little Hope I just started posting. Thank you.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

It's fascinating watching different people play this. An artist friend of mine with great spatial recognition skills, was able to grasp the layout of the Stranger very quickly, meanwhile I spent a while just looking around the whole place, analysing what I'm seeing and building a mental map first, trying to figure out paths of least resistance. And yet, I don't think the pace you're going through stuff is all that different from ours. I really like how they managed to make the DLC.

Also, just a hunch, but in order to try to reduce possible frustration on your part: This DLC is giving you information visually, and some of it may not be easy to understand the first time you see it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Still some performance issues, so I have some more tweaks to do to try and resolve the problem. I even checked before this recording session and everything seemed fine, but I guess I was tricked because it's mostly happening during certain areas of The Stranger. I don't know why it's only recently been happening, but I'm gonna try to lower some of the graphics settings and see if that helps at all.

Sorry that this keeps happening. I'm trying.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
There hasn't been a lot to comment about since everyone explores the stranger in basically the same way. From this point forward that'll change, and I am very much down for that!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm really hoping this will be the last of the choppy videos. I think I figured out what the actual issue is and have been doing multiple test recordings to do my best to confirm it's resolved now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We're back. Sorry for a hiatus, but I had some other projects I wanted to address first and finish up, and I was trying to sort out the choppy framerate stuff that was popping up in the last few videos. I really hope it's addressed now, so if you see something still acting up, please let me know.

Anyway, this video sort of serves as another pass through and around The Stranger, just to remind me you of everything that's been discovered so far, and to see if there is still some more stuff for me to find. Which there was, it turns out.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I've been patiently waiting for this to come back, and I was surprised to see how long it was.
How many more videos ahead are you recording, and do you want nudges from us here? Like in regards to Stranger exploring thoroughness yes, you've found everything you're intended to have found at this point.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm not done with the game, but I'm a bit further along than this video. I'm making progress and I think the endgame is in sight now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe