Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

SirPablo posted:

What new way will the Vikings find to crush their fans' spirits?

Every season is like strapping into a rollercoaster knowing somewhere there's a track derailment and yet you're still hopeful that this is the year they remembered to tighten all the bolts. This division is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

hughesta posted:

how about those bears????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgynrxYZHuE

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
https://theathletic.com/3240661/2022/04/11/nfl-offseason-trades-signings-analysis/

Chicago: They just gutted the roster. You look at the types of players they brought in. It’s just low-cost, piece things together for a year.

Detroit: To be a team that bad and to make the conscious decision to be like, ‘Yeah let’s run it back’ like they’re the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or something, I don’t really get that at all.

Green Bay: I don’t think this (offseason) is a positive for them in any way, shape or form.

Minnesota: I don’t understand anything that they did there. It’s like a team that’s just going in circles. There’s no long-term vision right now at all. I don’t get it.

hell yeah #nfcnorth4lyfe

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And they ask for money for that kind of analysis? Wow.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

surf rock posted:

https://theathletic.com/3240661/2022/04/11/nfl-offseason-trades-signings-analysis/

Chicago: They just gutted the roster. You look at the types of players they brought in. It’s just low-cost, piece things together for a year.

Detroit: To be a team that bad and to make the conscious decision to be like, ‘Yeah let’s run it back’ like they’re the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or something, I don’t really get that at all.

Green Bay: I don’t think this (offseason) is a positive for them in any way, shape or form.

Minnesota: I don’t understand anything that they did there. It’s like a team that’s just going in circles. There’s no long-term vision right now at all. I don’t get it.

hell yeah #nfcnorth4lyfe

It's a division you can set your watch to

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Well Detroit has to wait for Goffs contract to end so it kinda makes sense to keep trying to build the team through the draft and other pieces. Hopefully they'll have a cheap good young QB in 2023 and can then sign some splashier free agents to round out the team.

Now the Bears are just weird and dumb. They have the young QB and seem to want him to fail.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Artonos posted:

Now the Bears are just weird and dumb. They have the young QB and seem to want him to fail.

Yes, but i think they are trying to unfuck what pace left them and its too much to do in one year via free agents.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Grading team success based on the couple months of offseason prior to the draft seems a bit premature, but I guess if there’s nothing else to write about…

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

surf rock posted:

hell yeah #nfcnorth4lyfe

So this is from 2012 right?

Oh....

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Artonos posted:

Well Detroit has to wait for Goffs contract to end so it kinda makes sense to keep trying to build the team through the draft and other pieces. Hopefully they'll have a cheap good young QB in 2023 and can then sign some splashier free agents to round out the team.

The lions are completely correct in not trying to win now. They were 3-13. There is no amount of trades FA signings that’s gonna get them to a winning record

What does that guy want them to do

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

CharlestheHammer posted:

The lions are completely correct in not trying to win now. They were 3-13. There is no amount of trades FA signings that’s gonna get them to a winning record

What does that guy want them to do

The time is right for them to make a big splashy trade. Offload Jared Goff for Super Bowl winning QB Matthew Stafford and become instant competitors. It worked for the Rams

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Criticizing the teams for not doing a whole lot three weeks before the draft seems a bit odd. Yea the Bears haven’t done much, but there’s still a lot of time before camp starts.
Either way, the Packers are probably the only team that should want to compete this year. Everyone else is probably trying to set things up for 2023.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2955236-grading-every-nfl-teams-offseason-before-the-2022-draft

I read this this morning and it seems way less. Stupid? And more cognizant of where the teams actually are and what they should be doing. It still slags off the Bears, but it at least acknowledges that that's mostly because they were left in an awful position by Pace.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

The athletic piece was a bit more in depth about the bears but realistically it's hard to see what they could've done without mortgaging the future. If Fields had this amazing rookie season and was a no doubt guy you probably would've been ok with them kicking the can down the road. But he's not, so hey this year probalby going to suck (hard) but next year will actualy have picks & cap space. It'll just make it really difficult to evaluate Fields because he'll be surrounded by poo poo

quote:

On one hand, you would have liked to see the Bears do more to surround Justin Fields with talent for the upcoming season. On the other hand, Bears fans should probably be encouraged that new GM Ryan Poles appears to be making an honest assessment of the state of the roster, salary cap situation, etc.

“This is a complete tear down,” Fitzgerald said. “They sent away about $75 million in contracts this year, whether it was signings or trades or whatever it was. They just gutted the roster. You look at the types of players they brought in. It’s just low-cost, piece things together for a year.”

The Bears’ decision to trade Khalil Mack made complete sense. They made low-cost signings on guard/center Lucas Patrick and wide receiver Byron Pringle. The only quibble would be that the Bears spent money on their defensive line that probably could have been better spent on the offensive line or wide receiver, given that helping Fields has to be the top priority.

But bottom line: This offseason was about cleaning up a mess and setting up Chicago for 2023, 2024 and beyond.

“Next year you’ve got a clean salary cap,” Fitzgerald said. “You’ll have one of the better salary cap positions in the league. You’ll get your draft pick next year since you lost your first in the trade for Fields. So this is all about 2023. If you’re a Bears fan, it’s probably disappointing, simply because you look at this and you go, ‘We’ve got this quarterback in his second year and we’re putting nobody around him.’ But if you tried to put even a couple pieces there, you’d have nowhere to go in years three and four. So I like what they did. I think it’s the right way to do it. But it’s gonna suck this year.”

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I don't care about surrounding him with talent, i just don't want him to die because he's being protected by J'Marcus Webb reincarnations

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

surf rock posted:

hell yeah #nfcnorth4lyfe

Yeah I'm kind of with you all in that that article is a bit weird. Not to be too much a prisoner of the moment but the Vikings and Packers are kind of handcuffed by salaries. The extension to Cousins on paper makes sense because it gives cap relief. There are a lot of tough calls and the Vikings aren't a terrible team and as others have pointed out...the draft hasn't even loving happened.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, we should be talking about how each team is going to screw up the draft.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, we should be talking about how each team is going to screw up the draft.

The Packers should draft two wide receivers, a blue chip and a high RAS project.

What will happen is they take a reach on a raw edge rusher project at 22, trade down from 28, and then take a tight end.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Packers should draft two wide receivers, a blue chip and a high RAS project.

:hmmyes:

SKULL.GIF posted:

What will happen is they take a reach on a raw edge rusher project at 22, trade down from 28, and then take a tight end.

Yeah. :sigh:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Anyone buying into the lions taking Willis at 2? I don't see it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bears screwed it up years in advance.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Parallelwoody posted:

There's no reason for the Lions to take an uncertain project when so much of the roster is so weak and you're still paying Goff. It's just predraft babble because the media is running out of things to mutter about.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Parallelwoody posted:

I don't have the quotes on hand but the indication from the team is that it's very unlikely.

I think they just take whichever edge is available at 2, which is probably Thib.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The Lions offense isn't actually a dearth of talent and is actually setup amazingly well for a rookie QB right now and would be an amazing spot for Willis if he was drafted.

That said, the Lions defense needs some serious inject of talent, however, and really needs to spend almost every pick on fixing it this year.

Next year still seems the most likely.

Or Detroit could be one of those veteran FA/trade QB teams next year too, kinda like the Broncos.

The only thing the Lions have explicitly mentioned is wanting a legit WR in the draft, which will likely be their 32nd or 34th.

Their first draft pick will almost certainly be best player available.

Hizawk fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 12, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah the Lions are clearly second to the Vikings in WR talent right now with GB and Chicago behind them

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hizawk posted:

The Lions offense isn't actually a dearth of talent and is actually setup amazingly well for a rookie QB right now and would be an amazing spot for Willis if he was drafted.

That said, the Lions defense needs some serious inject of talent, however, and really needs to spend almost every pick on fixing it this year.

Next year still seems the most likely.

Or Detroit could be one of those veteran FA/trade QB teams next year too, kinda like the Broncos.

The only thing the Lions have explicitly mentioned is wanting a legit WR in the draft, which will likely be their 32nd or 34th.

Their first draft pick will almost certainly be best player available.

Offense is decent now, but apart from the line and ARSB, they don't really have anyone locked up.

Are they going to sign Hock? Swift? Do they want to?

Everyone else is on a short term deal.

I do agree that they should spend a lot of picks on defense though (Edge, Safety, tackle, LB). Maybe a later round receiver or a guard if there is one they really like.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also requesting the Lions pick in the op be muscle coach in the race car helmet.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Danny LaFever posted:

Offense is decent now, but apart from the line and ARSB, they don't really have anyone locked up.

Are they going to sign Hock? Swift? Do they want to?

Everyone else is on a short term deal.

I do agree that they should spend a lot of picks on defense though (Edge, Safety, tackle, LB). Maybe a later round receiver or a guard if there is one they really like.

Hock, I assume they'll extend. Swift, I dunno, I like him a lot but apparently you're never supposed to give RBs a second contract?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Danny LaFever posted:

Also requesting the Lions pick in the op be muscle coach in the race car helmet.

assume it's condensation but it really looks like he's hotboxing that helmet

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

ghosthorse posted:

assume it's condensation but it really looks like he's hotboxing that helmet

Reminds me of that joke article about him uh...hitting the powdery white slopes at Allen Park.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My general philosophy about Fields is that, with a competent offensive system and playcalling, he will show you if he's capable of being *that guy* even if he doesn't have the best pieces around him

But also Mooney and Kmet managed to put up decent numbers despite being in a completely garbage offensive system and playcalling.

That guy will show you he can be that guy even if there is minimal talent around him.

I think Jenkins and Borom can be solid tackles, Whitehair is a solid guard, the Packers center is alright from what I've seen, they need to find a guard, which is doable.

I'm putting so much stock into just how bad the coaching staff was offensively all around the past few years under Nagy. But it was real loving bad.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bring back Kyle Long

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Chicago Bears will never have a good offense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Chicago Bears will never have a good offense.

The Bengals made the Superbowl. The Cubs won a World Series. Anything is possible.

I believe it is possible for a better and just world to be born from the ashes of despair

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Dexo posted:

The Bengals made the Superbowl. The Cubs won a World Series. Anything is possible.

You think it's possible for the Lions to win??

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

My general philosophy about Fields is that, with a competent offensive system and playcalling, he will show you if he's capable of being *that guy* even if he doesn't have the best pieces around him

But also Mooney and Kmet managed to put up decent numbers despite being in a completely garbage offensive system and playcalling.

That guy will show you he can be that guy even if there is minimal talent around him.

I think Jenkins and Borom can be solid tackles, Whitehair is a solid guard, the Packers center is alright from what I've seen, they need to find a guard, which is doable.

I'm putting so much stock into just how bad the coaching staff was offensively all around the past few years under Nagy. But it was real loving bad.

Exactly my feelings. The new scheme seems much better suited for Fields skillset, and Mooney, DMont, Herbert, and Kmet are decent enough weapons for the Bears to have a middle of the pack offense if they are balanced, get the ball out quickly, and limit mistakes.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Dexo posted:

I believe it is possible for a better and just world to be born from the ashes of despair

The Cubs winning a world series is why the Bears will never have a good offense, all the luck is used up.

It's why Green Bay will always choke in the playoffs, the Bucks used all the luck to win that NBA championship. :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Marc was the good Bears offense.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Kyle Orton would have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006