Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

So I just saw Jimmy Haslam is buying the Milwaukee Bucks.

I never really followed basketball, but :yikeseroo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

So I just saw Jimmy Haslam is buying the Milwaukee Bucks.

I never really followed basketball, but :yikeseroo:

He's buying 25% of the Bucks, and will be one of the 3 primary owners who have a rotating governorship. It sucks, but it looks like he will help pay the luxury tax where Lasry was unwilling to continue to pay.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Whooping Crabs posted:

He's buying 25% of the Bucks, and will be one of the 3 primary owners who have a rotating governorship. It sucks, but it looks like he will help pay the luxury tax where Lasry was unwilling to continue to pay.

Ahhhh, okay. I thought he was going to be majority owner.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How did the loving Detroit Lions get the only coach in the league with his head screwed on properly?

https://twitter.com/jeffrisdon/status/1631045982824677377

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sheila rules

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

All owners are scum (yes including Packers owners), but Sheila seems less scummy than most

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SKULL.GIF posted:

How did the loving Detroit Lions get the only coach in the league with his head screwed on properly?

Literally every coach and GM say this, and then they draft the 4.3 40 combine guy.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Not shocking the Cardinals are a dog poo poo organization as seen by players.

Pretty awesome how good the Vikings are run. Now draft a QB.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Dexo posted:

Literally every coach and GM say this, and then they draft the 4.3 40 combine guy.

It's because every coach think they are so awesome, they can turn any player into an All Pro.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It feels like if a guy late has great numbers from the combine you might spend a pick on him and see what he turns into, but the likely result from that is Alex Leatherwood so

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

MikeCrotch posted:

It feels like if a guy late has great numbers from the combine you might spend a pick on him and see what he turns into, but the likely result from that is Alex Leatherwood so

To be fair, Alex Leatherwood has the "Raiders First Round Pick" asterisk.

There needs to be an investigative white paper produced on the Raiders recent drafting and issued league wide as a warning.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mark Davis hiring Mike Mayock to be the Raiders GM was/is just a slight step below Matt Millen: Lions GM.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Which league is it that says you can't own multiple teams at once? Or maybe it's just in the same city? Can't remember

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

SKULL.GIF posted:

that sounds like something any random yocal could say :/

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
"Gosh these guys are BIG, I gotta keep 'em in line...."

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Gonz posted:

Mark Davis hiring Mike Mayock to be the Raiders GM was/is just a slight step below Matt Millen: Lions GM.

Honestly, it might be worse. At least Millen drafted Calvin Johnson.

Of the six first round picks that Mayock had over three years:
- Two actually made it to the end of their rookie deals
- Three are with other teams
- One is in jail

Their 2020 first round might be the worst draft round ever recorded.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Brad Holmes doesn't care about the combine apart from the interview time he gets with the players.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Why's Dan talking about pajamas. Was there a pajama incident at the combine?

soggybagel posted:

Read the bad scores. It's crazy how many teams don't provide child care of any sort and also LOL at Arizona charging players for meals if they eat at the facility in the offseason.

It's like Moneyball but for real lmao

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 2, 2023

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Bumhead posted:

To be fair, Alex Leatherwood has the "Raiders First Round Pick" asterisk.

There needs to be an investigative white paper produced on the Raiders recent drafting and issued league wide as a warning.

I can't believe how funny this is year after year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/1631377968617365515

Good thread about Ben Johnson.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm really curious to see what happens with Jalen Carter's stock now. Sort of leaning toward the Bears just trading with Houston and taking Anderson at #2.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I'm really curious to see what happens with Jalen Carter's stock now. Sort of leaning toward the Bears just trading with Houston and taking Anderson at #2.

I'd trade further down and draft Tyree, I have doubts about Anderson as a 4-3 end

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dexo posted:

I'd trade further down and draft Tyree, I have doubts about Anderson as a 4-3 end

I guess maybe he might fit like a more talented Alex Brown, who was fairly slight.

I dunno.

Personally, If I were an NFL GM I would try and gauge how far the Carter drop is and still take him lol.

He is like the absolute perfect loving fit in this defense.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Shrimpy posted:

Honestly, it might be worse. At least Millen drafted Calvin Johnson.

Of the six first round picks that Mayock had over three years:
- Two actually made it to the end of their rookie deals
- Three are with other teams
- One is in jail

Their 2020 first round might be the worst draft round ever recorded.

They were Gruden grinders though. I always figured Gruden was the main dude drafting and Mayock was along for the ride.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

I guess maybe he might fit like a more talented Alex Brown, who was fairly slight.

I dunno.

Personally, If I were an NFL GM I would try and gauge how far the Carter drop is and still take him lol.

Yeah, I feel like I'd still take him because he's a generational talent at the position. But what a loving idiot.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

I dunno.

Will Anderson is basically the same size as Yannick Ngakoue (who I can't stop thinking about as the perfect FA pickup), and considering the line needs to be fully rebuilt anyway the Bears have the luxury to build the rest of the line around him anyway

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MJeff posted:

Why's Dan talking about pajamas. Was there a pajama incident at the combine?

Didn't a guys dick fall out last year

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Several years ago.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vm8ni

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bears are gonna get to trade down twice between Richardson and Levis jumping up boards.

https://twitter.com/corbinsmithnfl/status/1631430798405521412

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bears are gonna get to trade down twice between Richardson and Levis jumping up boards.

https://twitter.com/corbinsmithnfl/status/1631430798405521412

I wonder if this is good or bad for the Bears. On one hand, chances to trade down multiple times. On the other, if there was just one clear cut QB who was above the rest, the pick would be more valuable.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Niwrad posted:

I wonder if this is good or bad for the Bears. On one hand, chances to trade down multiple times. On the other, if there was just one clear cut QB who was above the rest, the pick would be more valuable.

I think it's still good for the Bears because of where the Texans/Colts/Seahawks are drafting. Teams vary with their QB preferences, Richardson might be a good fit for one coaching staff but absolutely not for another, so if you want your guy you're gonna have to cough up, or else risk getting a QB that doesn't at all fit your system or your roster.

They probably won't be flipping spots with the Texans anymore, but they'll likely get a haul from the Panthers/Raiders/Titans or another team that gets a hair up their rear end about missing out on a QB.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Niwrad posted:

I would say bad - if they start with a high asking price, other teams might sit and wait to see who falls.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No idea if it benefits them or not but its the bears so something bad will happen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's generally moot, teams are gonna fall in love with one QB prospect.

It's how it always goes.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It would be bad if everyone approached the draft with a sense that multiple QBs were on the exact same tier, but luckily I don't think most GMs have the humility to be passive in a situation like "selecting a franchise quarterback." More likely than not, there are going to be at least a couple of teams who feel the need to go up and secure Their Guy rather than accepting whoever happens to fall into their lap

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bears need to trade down 32 times, and then hope the 2023 draft class is good enough in a few years

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I don't see how this is bad for the Bears. If the consensus is that the first 3 picks are all going to be QB, then that makes trading up to 1 even more attractive. Only way to make sure you get your guy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If there was "one guy who was clearly better than the rest" then whoever wins the sweepstakes for #1 overall means everyone else is content to sit and wait for the 2nd tier QBs to fall to them. If they're all "tier 1" then you don't want to miss out on any of them, which means the Bears are much more likely to be able to trade down twice, if the first trade-down puts them into a position where one of the top 4 are still available to them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

It's generally moot, teams are gonna fall in love with one QB prospect.

It's how it always goes.

Q_res posted:

I don't see how this is bad for the Bears. If the consensus is that the first 3 picks are all going to be QB, then that makes trading up to 1 even more attractive. Only way to make sure you get your guy.

Yeah, if there's three potential firsts then it's a matter of convincing the GM who fell in love with one to trade you for it and if you're lucky it's low enough that you can convince another GM to do it to, and keep mid level first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Bears will gently caress this up somehow