Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what's your preferred system of government?
strange women lying in ponds distributing swords (magical fascism)
watery tarts throwing rapiers (representative democracy)
moistened binks lobbing scimitars (elective hegemony)
damp maidens proffering cutlery (communism)
i don't want anything to do with this!!! >:[
View Results

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
monty puthon fans and the existing members give the whole eneprise a bad name, but if you go back and watch especially the OG series it holds up and is funny and insightful as hell

its funny that holy grail is basically the worst thing they did but it's the thing that the bad fans always quote lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

monty puthon fans and the existing members give the whole eneprise a bad name, but if you go back and watch especially the OG series it holds up and is funny and insightful as hell

its funny that holy grail is basically the worst thing they did but it's the thing that the bad fans always quote lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_bsE9B1LM

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ve20PVNZ18

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear Papa.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHGr8r5Cs4

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
No goku voted 1

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

precision posted:

Holy grail is really good you're just trying to look cool by saying its bad.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V4RtsQMaRM

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Me watcjhing movoes

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah, they're OK OP. I'm waiting for the crybaby zeros to waltz in here and whine about how bad Monty Python was and how they're "Literally Hitler!"

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
When I was a teen I had The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, it was an amazing resource for entertaining idiots for hours when I was a summer camp counsellor in the time before smartphones.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, they're OK OP. I'm waiting for the crybaby zeros to waltz in here and whine about how bad Monty Python was and how they're "Literally Hitler!"

I changed my username from Sir Not Appearing to my current username due to John Cleese's recent-ish comments. I actually have no idea what he said but I heard it was really, really bad and that his penchant for goose stepping was actually due to the fact that he served as a nazi in WW2 under the name of Adolf Hitler and that's enough for me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I always thought they were funny op. But, on the other hand I also liked Mad magazine and National Lampoon, so what the hell do I know

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Life of Brian was the best of them I thougt

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Bargearse posted:

Life of Brian was the best of them I thougt

graham chapman hangs dong

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

precision posted:

How have I never noticed your lovely posting until like three weeks ago?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Monty Python was regarded as a golden example of good comedy for too long, so over time unfunny idiots latched onto it to serve as a stand-in for their own nonexistent sense of humor. If you can't be funny on your own, just regurgitate quotes from something that most other people seem to agree is funny.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

In my will, part of my final instructions will be that everyone has to sing that at the funeral.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

neato burrito posted:

In my will, part of my final instructions will be that everyone has to sing that at the funeral.

This man has priorities straight!

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Some of it is bad i think

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBBlRB1HH2g

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I like Monty Python but I haven't watched the TV show in a while and I'm sure a lot of it aged like milk. Plus two of them are TERF dipshits who never stop whining about "cancel culture" instead of maybe reflecting on how what was progressive 50 years ago might not be so much now and when you're in your 80s you might not be on the cutting edge anymore.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I find that when I revisit old sketch comedy shows I used to enjoy, 90% of them are forgettable trash and 10% comedy gold. Monty Python’s movies are indeed good, but the show itself is unremarkable. There is no exception to my rule.

Except for Kids in the Hall. Kids in the Hall still owns after all these years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I like Monty Python but I haven't watched the TV show in a while and I'm sure a lot of it aged like milk. Plus two of them are TERF dipshits who never stop whining about "cancel culture" instead of maybe reflecting on how what was progressive 50 years ago might not be so much now and when you're in your 80s you might not be on the cutting edge anymore.

graham chapman was pretty cool afaik, so I choose to credit all their successes to him

None of them have done anything particularly funny since he died, so I think the theory holds up

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

CPL593H posted:

A cautionary tale of how you need to keep up with the times or risk becoming the old man yelling at the cloud.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i can kind of follow why old comedians specifically get brain worms about cancel culture. a lot of comedy deals with controversial subjects and operates on the edge of what is socially acceptable. that edge moves over time, so naturally not all of the bits they did decades ago will play well now. even stuff that was well intentioned may age poorly just because the acceptable terminology has changed. i can understand the thought process that would lead them to paranoia that someone could dig up an old joke of theirs and try to "cancel" them or whatever. it's not entirely irrational either, just because of how random and disproportionate the result can be. like, you can have a history of molesting women and become president or a supreme court justice just fine, or you can take a photo of yourself pretending to molest a woman as a joke and be forced to resign from the senate.

or who knows, maybe they're just paranoid because they have a lot of skeletons out there that have yet to be revealed :shrug:

either way, they're of course wrong to stand in the way of social progress, regardless of whether it's a reflexive instinct of self-defense or they really are just dumb assholes.

edit: also, just to be doubly clear, i'm not trying to say i "understand" as a roundabout way of defending the lovely opinions of cleese or any other ancient comedians. not dying on any hills for them. you can't cancel ME :colbert:

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 11, 2022

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The meaning of life was p good

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Who TF uses canned salmon

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
python owns straighjt up

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

its all nice on rice posted:

Who TF uses canned salmon

British people. And they paid for that mistake.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Bad Purchase posted:

i can kind of follow why old comedians specifically get brain worms about cancel culture. a lot of comedy deals with controversial subjects and operates on the edge of what is socially acceptable. that edge moves over time, so naturally not all of the bits they did decades ago will play well now. even stuff that was well intentioned may age poorly just because the acceptable terminology has changed. i can understand the thought process that would lead them to paranoia that someone could dig up an old joke of theirs and try to "cancel" them or whatever. it's not entirely irrational either, just because of how random and disproportionate the result can be. like, you can have a history of molesting women and become president or a supreme court justice just fine, or you can take a photo of yourself pretending to molest a woman as a joke and be forced to resign from the senate.

or who knows, maybe they're just paranoid because they have a lot of skeletons out there that have yet to be revealed :shrug:

either way, they're of course wrong to stand in the way of social progress, regardless of whether it's a reflexive instinct of self-defense or they really are just dumb assholes.

edit: also, just to be doubly clear, i'm not trying to say i "understand" as a roundabout way of defending the lovely opinions of cleese or any other ancient comedians. not dying on any hills for them. you can't cancel ME :colbert:

its because cancel culture was a very effective pressure release valve for the working class at a time of exploitation unprecedented for a century, but since nice rich old (non-rapist) comedians never got a chance to really exploit the proles first hand they never got any upside. they're still thinking of themselves as underdog comedians getting hosed over by prudish censors because that was their major battle. they see their friends getting publicly shamed and they think that's bad, failing to understand why the billionaires incited the poors to enact a completely bloodless, revenue generating pantomime of the Reign of Terror of the French Revolution, during a time where the wage gap is comparable if not larger to the actual French Revolution.

the poors get to think that they have guillotined the evil rich shitheads via twitter
the rich get to keep their heads, positions, lands, authority and make bank on the comeback tours
everyone wins except for john cleese who is upset about how everyone is yelling

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
When the thing most people remember about your show was a dumb bit about a dead parrot it's maybe not the most incredible loving thing ever made

And holy grail was fine God drat it

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
If you think Holy Grail is better than Brain Candy you probably larp or play quiddick or something

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Tarkus posted:

I dunno Mr. Hilter doesn't seem so bad, though not sure I like the sound of those boncentration bamps.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't help but feel that they would not have become privileged old terfs if Graham was still alive.
You were too good for this world Mr. Chapman.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Palin is still a dude
I believe Idle is alright I think
Gilliam is a sex pest

and Cleese became Always Online and unbearable terf type

But the show is mostly great, some stuff has aged really badly, some is unwatchable, but mostly its great.

And The Cycling Tour is the best 30 minutes of TV ever made.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Ratjaculation posted:

Palin is still a dude
I believe Idle is alright I think
Gilliam is a sex pest

and Cleese became Always Online and unbearable terf type

But the show is mostly great, some stuff has aged really badly, some is unwatchable, but mostly its great.

And The Cycling Tour is the best 30 minutes of TV ever made.

idle hasn't shown odious politics but he was a bastard to neil innes about the rutles, tried to take sole credit etc.