Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what's your preferred system of government?
strange women lying in ponds distributing swords (magical fascism)
watery tarts throwing rapiers (representative democracy)
moistened binks lobbing scimitars (elective hegemony)
damp maidens proffering cutlery (communism)
i don't want anything to do with this!!! >:[
View Results

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ChesterJT posted:

Why would anyone care about that poo poo? I go to Mony Python for comedy, not hot political takes.

yeah and it's the funniest thing he's done in 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Remember the monty python where the guy walks funny XD

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Devils Affricate posted:

Tim & Eric was the best sketch comedy

Nah, it's aged worse than old SNL episodes, which is saying something

It's like watching old VHS poo poo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's like watching old VHS poo poo

I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Devils Affricate posted:

Tim & Eric was the best sketch comedy

Eric Idle, I understand. But Tim Cook? In comedy?!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s only a model.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

same

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's ok but a lot of it is really dated and regional to the UK

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Who What Now posted:

It's ok but a lot of it is really dated and regional to the UK

That's part of the charm, sort of like when MST3K would make references to Midwest stuff in general or Wisconsin/Minnesota in particular

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kntfkr posted:

I think I first brushed up against Monty Python when I was like 8 or 9 in (not officially) Jewish day camp and it was the first instance of disliking a property without having seen it for its fans being obnoxious and out of context quotes failing to wow. Kind of like Rich and Marty is these days.

this. i like both python and rick and morty, though both can be very hit or miss and i am more partial to weird aqua teen smiling friends type hosed up/weird surrealist humor. but yeah Python is basicaly rick and morty for boomers in alot of levels.

Sex Farm posted:

John cleese is a self important old gently caress

this. i still find him funny but it clearly went to his head. that being said most of his twitter is boring American liberal stuff so idk.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 12, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
an English friend tells me that Fawlty Towers had much more cultural staying power in the UK than Python.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fawlty Towers and Python are pretty good, but what English people really like is listening to weekly radio shows where a panel of Cambridge graduates make dry jokes about the news.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Extra Large Marge posted:

Fawlty Towers and Python are pretty good, but what English people really like is listening to weekly radio shows where a panel of Cambridge graduates make dry jokes about the news.

They also like watching them, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2z-AdzgKjY

Also here's some more Python and John Cleese and Fawlty Towers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UEjBqr8dyU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also here's some more Python and John Cleese and Fawlty Towers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UEjBqr8dyU

a tip: do not watch this

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Empty Sandwich posted:

a tip: do not watch this

I disagree *Argument Clinic Sketch begins*

Busted Pisser
Dec 6, 2020

Never skip kegels day
When I have a child, it's going to be like the Miracle of Birth Part 2: The Third World except it will fall into a puddle of piss while I'm lifting for sick gains.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I disagree *Argument Clinic Sketch begins*

No you don't

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
minch paythin

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Palin did do a polite laugh when I made a joke to him at a book signing.

He will forever b my hero

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

At a place where I used to work the general manager came in talking about the stupid movie saw the previous night. He then spent the morning quoting various bits. He THEN decided it must have been a good movie.

The movie was MP and the Holy Grail.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mozi posted:

some of it could be edited down a bit but yes very funny overall IMO and if compared to what was otherwise available at the time there's no contest
This is the important thing to remember. Just try watching the shows that the cast did either before or after Monty Python and you will quickly discover it really was great IN THAT it holds up at all

The problem is there is really no reason to watch it now unless you have a specific nostalgia for it (like I do, having grown up with my parents watching it in some of its late-1980s/early-1990s reruns on like PBS or whatever) since it is definitely not as good as modern comedy appealing to modern audiences. I would argue there are a few things that hold up well enough that they could still win over someone dubious of it today, thinking immediately of Upper-Class Twit of the Year, even if without fail every episode also has something either painfully unfunny in modern contexts or, of course, because this was England in the 1960s/1970s, blackface (only twice that I can think of, but you know, two times too many).

I mean when I re-watched all the episodes a few years back for the first time in ages I could not believe there were still things I laughed out loud at rather than just thinking "ah, remember Mom laughing at that in 1992? How nice." The bit with the police division chanting laments to minimize the comedic atmosphere of the house with the world's funniest joke is still hilarious. Much of their incredibly high-concept stuff for the era still passes as, like, at least modestly creative in 2022

Also Michael Palin is an awesome person and did lots of great documentaries

Terry Jones' documentary series about medieval occupations is must-watch stuff too

Too bad about Gilliam apparently sucking as a person given how cool most of his movies are

And Eric Idle and John Cleese were there, too!

(Eric Idle retweeted me more than once when I was talking about specific episodes of Rutland Weekend Television having surprisingly innovative stuff in them considering how much everyone involved seems to want them forgotten, so he is cool by me too)

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/iJ1sg1ypWVE

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cheese Shop > Dead Parrot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Edward Mass posted:

big agree

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

iawtp

and yeah the palin around the world documentary stuff was pretty great too

but really yeah for all the stuff that doesn't work anymore there's just as much truly fully original creative ideas and jokes that stand the test of time

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Edward Mass posted:

yeah. that and mister hilter is great too. much like rick and morty everyone quotes like 10 quotes and forgets about the actual funny poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. Quarex posted:

(Eric Idle retweeted me more than once when I was talking about specific episodes of Rutland Weekend Television having surprisingly innovative stuff in them considering how much everyone involved seems to want them forgotten, so he is cool by me too)

Rutland Weekend Television has some of the smartest conceptual comedy sketches I've ever seen.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ripping Yarns was also hilarious.

https://youtu.be/9_2P2mFT_ac

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
^^^ True, I forgot to mention that Ripping Yarns, while not overall my thing, had at least a couple of episodes I would highly recommend to anyone even remotely into all this nonsense. The Testing of Eric Olthwaite comes to mind and I do not remember what was so great in it but something definitely made me remember it

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Rutland Weekend Television has some of the smartest conceptual comedy sketches I've ever seen.
It really makes sense ever since I heard John Cleese's succinct explanation for how to tell who wrote which sketch, which is hilarious in how it has to be accurate given that it describes about 90% of all their sketches

Something like "if a sketch starts with a slow pan across a lovely scene with orchestral music it was Terry and Michael, if the plot mainly focuses around abuse it was Graham and I, and if the whole thing is about language going up its own arse it was Eric." Eric Idle left unfettered to go berserk with wordplay in Rutland Weekend Television really did produce some astounding results, even if it also struck out hard sometimes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I got around to seeing Rutland Weekend Television a couple of years ago and while I understand why it wasn't exactly the happiest of times for Idle (mainly because he expected to get an actual budget, instead of whatever pocket change the Beeb had left after spending a fiver on Doctor Who SFX), drat if he didn't manage to spin some gold out of it regardless. If anything, the practically non-existent budget helped sell the premise (that this tiny-rear end British area had their own cheap little TV network, that only aired during the weekend).

Ripping Yarns was also great, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. that and mister hilter is great too. much like rick and morty everyone quotes like 10 quotes and forgets about the actual funny poo poo.

heinrich bimler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
:j: "I said, you wouldn't have had much fun in Stalingrad, would you?"

:hitler: "Not much fun in Stalingrad, no."