Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
At least it's not asbestos. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I haven't heard much about microplastic based deaths

But some of the body's cells grow uncontrollably for various reasons and invading other parts of the body. That's scary.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
We are in the midst of an ecological collapse. Insect biomass is down 90% in some places. It doesn't happen overnight, but on an ecological scale it's happening quickly. It's irreversible and microplastics are a symptom but maybe not necessarily a direct cause.
Even if every single factory/chemical plant/power plant shut down today, and not a animal was pulled from the ocean, or pesticide sprayed, it would maybe slow the collapse but not stop it. Your children's lives will be harder than yours, and your grandchildren's harder still.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Fattest PI posted:

We are in the midst of an ecological collapse. Insect biomass is down 90% in some places. It doesn't happen overnight, but on an ecological scale it's happening quickly. It's irreversible and microplastics are a symptom but maybe not necessarily a direct cause.
Even if every single factory/chemical plant/power plant shut down today, and not a animal was pulled from the ocean, or pesticide sprayed, it would maybe slow the collapse but not stop it. Your children's lives will be harder than yours, and your grandchildren's harder still.
sounds bad!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
smoke em if u got em

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

The Fattest PI posted:

So having a kid is good or bad?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Don’t worry, be happy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It didn't until it started showing up in lungs, that seems pretty bad.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

it's gonna put microshellac out of business

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Wizard Master posted:

I don't understand why this isn't seen as a bigger deal? Modern society will never give up plastics willingly.

You answered your question in the second sentence. They're not going anywhere so it's no use worrying about it either way.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it'll be fine when we have nanomachines to go into our bodies and get them out anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMsboqMMzs&t=17s

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If you worry about it more it will probably fix the problem. Worry harder idiot!

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
wAS JUST AT mICROPLASTICS uNIVERSITY

iT was pretty cool. All STEM only

I love seeing tech people online begging for any people applying for their job to have some loving arts.

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 11, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i know a couple of guys who have microplastics and they get along just fine

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

everything else about me is micro so why not

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it turned the frogs gay, and next it’s coming for us. wish it would hurry up.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I just learned about there being backwards satanic messages in rock music, i'm gonna go ape over that for a while but yeah, plastics, maybe next month

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Fattest PI posted:

This is quite literally why I decided (and mostly but not quite unsaid by my wife as well) decided not to have kids. The next couple centuries if not a millennia will be chaotic and full of plagues, climate changes, food shortages, population collapses and migration, and societal upheaval not seen around the world since the 530's-600AD where the Plague of Justinian decimated the Roman Empire, the Avars were destroyed in far eastern europe/western asia, and the indigenous peoples in central mexico collapsed simultaneously during that time frame (and much more) due to global climate change intersecting with a few other factors. It was marked as one of the worst centuries to be alive in recorded history, anywhere on Earth.

I don't usually say that part out loud and just go with 'just chose not to, not for us' as the answer to 'kids?', and I'm not emphatic about it, but since we're talking about it that's deep down what I think is going to happen because we've seen it happen in history before, multiple times, and the same hardships occur.

I don't think it will be the end of the world. I just think it's going to be a global catastrophe beyond measure that I don't want to bring a life into that has to go through that, or that their children would have to live through, etc. and to be honest I wonder about people who do actively choose to have children and I do judge them. And before you get mad, yes I in turn judge myself critically for doing so and I don't like it, but can't help it.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Icochet posted:

I just learned about there being backwards satanic messages in rock music, i'm gonna go ape over that for a while but yeah, plastics, maybe next month

TAOG EHT FO HTAO EHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNVSSCY7cs8

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Buce posted:

it's gonna put microshellac out of business

I was speed scrolling down the page and saw this as 'putting microphallus out of business' and really started worrying about my own future.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2022

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
sTEVE aLBINI IS hosed

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Big Beef City posted:

I don't usually say that part out loud and just go with 'just chose not to, not for us' as the answer to 'kids?', and I'm not emphatic about it, but since we're talking about it that's deep down what I think is going to happen because we've seen it happen in history before, multiple times, and the same hardships occur.

I don't think it will be the end of the world. I just think it's going to be a global catastrophe beyond measure that I don't want to bring a life into that has to go through that, or that their children would have to live through, etc. and to be honest I wonder about people who do actively choose to have children and I do judge them. And before you get mad, yes I in turn judge myself critically for doing so and I don't like it, but can't help it.

:same:

I'm happy that me and my girlfriend are on the same page about not having kids. Although her reasons are a bit more personal than my doomer reasons.
If you think our generation got hosed over then kids growing up now are going to be even more bitter.

I love my 1yo nephew to death but I really worry about his future life quality.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
My butt feels like it's getting plasticized whenever I eat Culver's and also I see the biggest butts I've ever seen in real life at Culver's and maybe no one should eat at Culver's it's pretty grim unless you want a really big butt I guess then I say go for it you're probably better off than Kanye's mom anyway

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

The Fattest PI posted:

Life = strife, so good.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
world is a gently caress

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Personally I'm going to replace my whole body with plastic like those bodies in that one exhibit where you can see all their muscles and poo poo. It's gonna be awesome op. Sorry you are missing out

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
that scene in x-men where the shapeshifter lady injects metal into the security guard so magneto can get it and escape except it's plastic and he's Plastico and he pulls little green army men and hotwheels and fake snow out of the guy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I can 3D print with my penis and cum

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

that scene in x-men where the shapeshifter lady injects metal into the security guard so magneto can get it and escape except it's plastic and he's Plastico and he pulls little green army men and hotwheels and fake snow out of the guy

this except instead of all of what you said I turn into silver surfer except instead of silver or mercury or whatever it is he surfs on it's a wave of microplastics and I totally ride it and it leaves a bitchin' mess everywhere but it looks cool when I do it though so don't worry

e: also I can't really surf so I kinda just boogie board it but mostly I'm just trying to hang on to it. I can still toss up the horns once and a while though without falling off too often.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
As long as my cumminz starts every day, and my mich ultras cold I don't give a gently caress. gently caress u commie

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

I’m worried about everything brother

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Microplastics can put an end to this world.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i believe microplastics are god's plan to slow and eventually reverse climate change. plastic pollution will overwhelm the delicately balanced human endocrine system, causing widespread gender confusion and fertility reduction. the birthrate will fall and the human population will shrink to a sustainable level of only 144,000 individuals by the year 2150. this will be heaven on earth and christ shall return triumphantly.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
The fungi that eventually evolve to devour all our gas station OJ cups in like 3 million years are gonna have a fuckin field day when they finally figure it out

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here
I'm actually more concerned about micromicroplastics.

Unbelievably overwhelmed about micromicromicroplastics.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Fattest PI posted:

Me, wielding the sum of all knowledge and intellect across humanity, looking at trash piles and deciding the best course of action is to lay down and die.

:lol::lmao: The World Dies With Me :lol::lmao:

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Other men have asked to touch my inner thighs on two occasions due to microplastics that i picked up from sitting on robots. Just a heads up in case anyone else runs into this situation.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I should be worried, I guess, but I already wish for death on a daily basis so, realistically, stuff like this just accelerates that decision.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

Me, wielding the sum of all knowledge and intellect across humanity, looking at trash piles and deciding the best course of action is to lay down and die.

:lol::lmao: The World Dies With Me :lol::lmao:

OTOH it's pretty arrogant to look at the same and think 'what this needs is more of my DNA'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, but in the same way that aging and sickness do. No putting that genie back in the bottle (tee hee), it's just another unavoidable factor of entropy against which I have limited and ultimately inadequate agency to protect myself