Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Thanks for making this thread. Something dedicated for queer issues was needed here. My only concern is that the reason there wasn't one was that these type of threads tend to attract the bad faith assholes. So knock on wood this thread stays up.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

One again, I wanna thank Timeless Appeal for making this tread. We have been needed a new space to talk about queer issues for this board and hopefully It doesn't get swarmed and forced to be closed. I do wanna try and make an effort post though on some...more abstract queer issues though. I'm not THAT great at it, but here we go.

Joe Biden sucks. In fact most of the Democratic party sucks. They seem to be more focused on saving a status quo that the 2016 election, at best, proved to be untenable. It also appears that they never really had a problem with any of the more troubling things the Trump administration did. They had a problem With Hillary Clinton not being president. We still have ICE detaining and keeping children locked up and trying to keep non white people from coming here. There's no real effort to try and address the growing inequality. And simply putting people from marginalized communities in positions of power is not going to fix that. If there is anything the past decade or so of US politics has taught me, it's that electoral politics will not save up. At least not by itself. But even with all that going against them, the Republicans view the existence of trans people as a "Debate". In truth they view the existence of all queer people as a debate and as proof that pedophilia is on the rise but they secede ground to Gay's and lesbians for now. If these are my choices, then yes I am voting Democrat. I may live in a capitalist hellscape, but at least they don't view my existence me as a threat.

But ever since the 2020 election I've had other leftists who, after telling them I voted for Biden, have said that I am also partly responsible for the suffering that the Biden Administration is causing. That I am unsympathetic to the suffering of others because I voted for Biden. I even had one guy in a discord tell me that Trump could have been brought around of Trans rights.

There was a video made about a certain type of leftist by a trans woman named Sophie from mars that I really recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyIjBxxpTY It's basically talking about the type of leftists who call everyone else in Left wing movements who are not them as straight up paid CIA assets, Or evil boushie liberals. And other insults like that. The kind of leftists that feel that in order to build a workers revolution, that we need to build a large tent movement that welcomes everyone. Including those that have racists and homophobic and transphobic beliefs. But in practice this usually ends with people from these marginalized communities pushed out of said big tent. And I'm noticing this kind of leftists more and more? Maybe I need to poke my head into C-SPAM again. Or maybe I'm crazy.

At best, I think the conclusions that are being jumped to by leftists that are critical of queer rights in general are. "The Democrats and mainstream liberals big corporations are doing more and more to celebrate queer people, even if it is surface level celebration. Therefore the celebration of queerness is neo-liberal, boushie, and counter revolutionary" Like...because Amazon is using a rainbow colored logo on twitter and putting queer books and TV shows on it's front page in celebration of Pride month, Queer people love Jeff Bezos. Or they reach "Bullshit stories and debates in the media that tangentially involve queer people. like Mr. Potato head is now Non-Binary, are a distraction from Real Issues." which is true but without fail, I've seen that evolve into "The concerns of queer people is a distraction from real issues." Or we get to the far end of the spectrum which is straight up transphobia or homophobia. Painting all queer people as only caring about parties and loving.

I think a big part of this is that a lot of people are aware of queer people but have never actually interacted with queer people, so their reference point is still pretty, rich white gay people they see on like...People Magazine or are championed by Liberal Politicians (I'm thinking of that guy from the New Queer Eye show. Forget his name). Or it's liberal politicians like Pete Buttigieg who even though they are gay, fit the mold of milk toast liberal politicians. This leads a lot of them into thinking of Queerness as a thing that only exists in rich white people. And that colors their impressions of the entire community, including those in the working class and POC.

My overall point here is that Homophobia and Transphobia is not exclusive to the religious conservatives. It exists in Liberal and leftist spaces too. Hello, Bill Mauhr once said during the 2016 elections that Trans people need to shut the gently caress up or were gonna cost Hillary the Election. And more and more of what use to be held up as champions of the left now seem to view the existence of Trans people as a bridge to far. And its...really depressing.

Did all this make sense? It was kind of stream of consciousness and I can go back after training to add stuff or clarify.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Help! I somehow ended up on Buck Angel's twitter page and I can't look away!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Well he started doing videos with Blair White about how harmful transition is for children so...

Thats where he's at

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Very big "Angry that trans men today can get on HRT much more easily" energy when they had to struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Bill Mahur has always been a poo poo heel, this is not new. Its just that he found a new low.

Remember, this is the guy who invited Milo onto his show and then took credit after the conservative establishment gave him the boot.