Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think one thing I try to keep in mind as an educator is how far we’ve come. There is still tons of homophobia and transphobia that you see in kids, but honestly most of the children I teach would never even imagine saying some of the poo poo my friends used to say when I was a kid.

V fixed before DeSantis sees my poor word choice there :P v

Literally, everyone on this forums can look back on how school was for them, and remember how awful it would have been to even have be hinted about being LGBT. Even the hint of it would basically outcast you, let alone make you the target of rampant bullying or even assault or worse. My wife went to the high school in Michelle bachmans district, and they were featured in the rolling stones for the rampant gay bashing and abuse that went on there in a huge expose after several LGBT kids committed suicide. She even has memories of people being assaulted and attacked and kids using targeted accusations to cause harm to anyone they didn't like true or not. She is bi and always was more comfortable with woman, but the fear she had was like this massive drain on her because she was so scarred by what she dealt with.

Hell I will flat out admit it wasn't till college and going to a school that was extremely LGBT friendly (hell it was known for the fact that looking like a hippy or a hobo was more popular then any other look) that I started to realize how bad some of my views were. And watching a friend come out, transition and go through everything involved from therapy, hrt, and finally surgery made me realize my own issues and how I needed to change viewpoints because I was able to acknowledge how hosed they were.

Society has a whole has come extremely far in the last 15 years, it really can't be stated how bad things were before to people that didn't grow up in the 80s-00s. The fact of it is, LGBT is becoming mainstream and the outcry right now is because of fear and hatred by rabid assholes that are afraid of their fragile masculinity being impaired or their little child potentially not being this idealized figure they are grooming them to be. Biden at least is 100x better then trump ever would be on this, and I won't ever forget that he pretty much defined Obamas agenda on it and forced him to speak out for gay marriage because he went off script and stated his full approval for the gay marriage bans to be overturned without vetting it through the white house.

Irregardless, this shouldn't be focused on the federal response, the state governments are pushing this poo poo and it's being led by the same people pushing anti crt legislation because it's meant to make bigots happy and then be used as a platform to try and win federal seats. The side benefit of harassing and driving minorities back into hiding is just there icing on the cake :(:

It honestly does remind me of the push back in the early 00s of gay marriage bans in the states. Just much more rapid due to how extreme the right has gotten and much more blatent

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
And I fully believe part of this push is still the same as most classic transphobia, that fragile egos are absolutely terrified of being sexually attracted to a trans man or trans woman. Because that would mean they are gay!!!!!! It all rapidly devolves into that population thinking that trans people shouldn't exist because then they don't have to worry about possibly being attracted to someone that they feel isn't real.

Much of this being fragile male ego which seems to encompass many of the things that develop anymore.