Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I have always used they/them occasionally to refer to people of any type. Example sentences:
"Oh, Mike? He's a good person. I gave them an Olive garden gift certificate for their birthday.
Oh, Mike? They're a good person. I gave him a Olive garden certificate for his birthday."

No one has ever complained about this, but I wonder if it is something I should try to avoid? I've never cared much about pronouns because for some reason people have always occasionally called me she/her even when I've had a full beard, but I understand that they are very important to other people and I don't want to hurt people.

Also, the websites I have looked at explaining pronouns don't tell me what to do when someone lists he/they. Does that mean that I should use sentences like my first example, or that either he/him or they/them is valid, or are they letting people know that they are male non-binary?

Finally, why are so many people assholes to bisexual people? I've never come out to any LGBT group as bi because I've never met an official in person group where the members didn't look down on us. Is this just bad luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

TLM3101 posted:

And this is why I have not, and will not, celebrate Pride. It was bad enough growing up here convinced that I was some sort of condemned, Frankensteinian abomination ( Bible-belt, '80s ), and then finally hoping that I'd find some allies and people who'd understand, only to be told "Oh, no, you don't exist" by them.

Why yes, I am bitter.

e: To be clear, I think Pride is a very important thing, and that it's worth celebrating, but my personal experiences has left me on the outside of it.

I grew up thinking that everybody was bi and that's why there were rules in the church about it. It didn't help the misconception when they brought in married people (as in married someone of the opposite sex) who talked about how hard it is to resist gay temptations. I just assumed that non-religious folks who stuck to dating the opposite sex were just being culturally conformist. When I discovered that the local LGBT groups disapproved of bi people it threw me for a bit of a loop, and I've felt annoyed at the church, straight people and official LGBT groups since then.

Hello fellow outsider!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I am not a doctor or virologist, but keeping up with virology is a hobby I have had since pre-covid days.

Monkey pox has probably been circulating for a while now being mistaken for random STIs, especially if a clinician has forgone palpating for swollen lymph nodes. If someone presents with a genital rash or pustule and someone isn’t paying close enough attention, they’ll get prescribed an antibiotic if it gets mistaken as bacterial or antivirals and a herpes lecture, and when the rash/pustules go away the clinician and patient assume the diagnosis was correct. This variant also usually presents with only one or two lesions, generally in the genital region as opposed to all over the body, and to my knowledge has killed only 5 people which is unusual given the serious nature of ordinary monkey pox (often about 5%). If anyone wants to learn more about monkey pox, SARS COV-2, or other viruses go to YouTube and listen to This Week in Virology. Here is a monkey pox specific episode from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMiT73ycw-I

Viral DNA has been found in semen, and though it was not confirmed as containing actual virus with a plaque assay there has been at least one case of transmission without direct contact with another individual or their clothes and bedding via semen contacting a patient’s eye.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I want to clarify that the reason that a plaque assay probably wasn’t done is that it’s way less resource intensive to stick samples in a machine rather than pay a grad student to do plaque assays. PCR has done wonders but nobody wants to spend time and money on plaque assays when journal reviewers don’t even call you out for saying “viral load” in your paper when at no point did you measure viruses, you measured dna or rna fragments with PCR.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Vote margins have been getting thinner in Texas so anyone they can force to leave the state is a bonus to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I just get so frustrated with people and singular they. Oh my God Bob, yesterday you literally used they when referring only to Jim, you can’t tell me that you believe that they is only used as a plural after that. They has been used as a singular pronoun for literal centuries! Forget getting with the times, get with great great great grandpa’s times! Something is wrong when late Victorians were more progressive than you.