Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
Meanwhile in the US, Boston Children's Hospital got a loving bomb threat for providing gender-affirming care.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/westfield-woman-arrested-for-boston-childrens-hospital-bomb-threat/ar-AA11Ssdk

The woman who called in the bomb threat was arrested. It seems the bomb threat was a bluff.

Right-wing social media has spread lies about Boston Children's Hospital. The hospital refutes one of the lies in the above article: "The hospital clarified that age 18 is the standard age of majority for medical decision-making, and that it does not perform hysterectomies as part of gender-affirming care on patients under the age of 18."

I realize this story is a month old, but I didn't see it earlier in this thread so I'm posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

OwlFancier posted:

Does the US have an equivalent of Gillick competence?

I never heard of Gillick competence before today, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. "Gillick competence is a term originating in England and Wales and is used in medical law to decide whether a child (a person under 16 years of age) is able to consent to their own medical treatment, without the need for parental permission or knowledge."

US laws vary from state to state, but the whole concept of "no need for parental permission or knowledge" is extremely demonized by the right wing. A legally emancipated minor in the US might be able to do certain things without parental knowledge or consent. Beyond that, I have no idea.

From a realistic perspective, a child in the US who needs gender affirming care is very unlikely to get it without parental consent, simply because medical care costs much more money than a child is likely to have. Adult trans people here often have problems affording gender affirming care, especially if they're unfortunate enough to live in an area where none of the medical insurance providers cover it.