Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
whats truly beyond the pale is that even the delegates that claim to be supportive of trans people refuse to name names on which delegates voted against this in committee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
honestly, regarding demisexual and sapiosexual and such, I have to acknowledge that like half a decade ago i thought labels like asexual and genderfluid were pretty dumb and nothing but queer bandwagoning. yep, i was dead wrong about that stuff, so maybe i should err on the side of being tolerant of stuff even if it sounds weird to me.

besides, what honestly is the danger of respecting the labels that people choose for their own identity? what material harm is being threatened by such a choice?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Back when I thought I was cis, I absolutely felt like the genitals of a trans woman was a dealbreaker for a relationship with them. It's really difficult to fully capture the extreme degree of both internalized homophobia and transmisogyny that is rampant in the psychology of dudes, even a dude who is otherwise adamant in his support of trans people.

Hell I still haven't expunged the full traces of trans misogyny in my mindset after coming out to myself as enby!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Remember too that's warped by both the social pressure not to talk about it, and the 324,029 men and women who died of AIDS in the decade between 1987 and 1998. Roughly 10% of all out gay men among the Boomers died in those ten years.

not even social pressure, i would have never in a million years realized i wasn't cis without my close friendships with trans folk online.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1524889683376807937?t=TnmYgAeACxRxJh1ozX33TA&s=19

Lmao Freddie deboer ran face first into the paradox of tolerance yet again. Maybe this will inspire introspection on the concrete effects of taking an absolutist position of free speech?????

it won't

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know if it's exclusively a gay dude or even a queer thing, Mercy started being picked by people as a submissive fantasy kink years ago, since the character's kit encourages being a selfless follower of someone with better stats than you. This was a really small amount of players, largely revolving around a subreddit that predates that game called 'healsluts'; but then Kotaku published an article about both the activity and the reddit board, and that exposure mainstreamed the idea to the majority of players.

It's the same old Lowtax rule-of-internet-fetish thing, where something that wasn't intended to be erotic gets an erotic community because the internet allows you to signal to kindred spirits with minimal consequence to your personal reputation.

Healslut has been a thing for awhile and it's exactly as :cursed: as it sounds

In other news

https://twitter.com/sigridellis/status/1532339071007313920?t=4QJICFB3XYWNVBH9JsaM1Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/sigridellis/status/1532340701026983937?t=nJMbZfRQ3hZ10AAgN_Mirg&s=19

I want to thrash this person over how profoundly stupid they are. Even if we pretend these companies aren't brutalizing our queer comrades in the global south this very instant, they will throw us into a woodchipper the femtosecond it becomes profitable to do so

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Most likely should say "can't wait"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Clinton is coming out on the anti trans bandwagon because of course she is lmao

https://twitter.com/wideofthepost/status/1538154967365738496?t=2PBaCNzJhdLZp74PYCDuvg&s=19

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'd ask you not to speak for "us trans people" on this one. Hillary Clinton, as secretary of state, made it possible for me to change the gender marker on my passport without surgery.

She's horrible in a lot of ways, but "Hillary Clinton has always been a transphobe" is dumb, and the article you're referring to is even dumber. There's a reason it gets readily debunked absolutely everywhere it's brought up.

I'm sorry what

Does every trans person who exists in the global south who got utterly immiserated by Clinton not count?

Hillary doesn't get credit for making things marginally better for trans folk in America when she's the propagator of such immense suffering to those in the imperial periphery

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Hillary Clinton targeted trans people in the global south? It’s perfectly possible to give her credit for positive things she did in addition to condemning her for the negative.

If there’s a myriad of legitimate criticisms, why feel the need to make some up?

do trans people not exist in the global south in you mind? all the immense suffering we inflicted on places like libya just didnt affect any queer people?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ok to be clear i think that we cannot say a politician is good for queer people if their foreign policies end up inflicting vast suffering on queer people outside of the country even if their domestic policies benefit us.

if we don't have each other's back then what loving hope is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
xpost:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1550459483113095168

it's time for aids crisis part 2! this time with queer people being demonized for infecting children with monkeypox when schools inevitably become superspreaders!

christ i loving hate how this poo poo happens every time