Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I would also add, particularly on the "trans in sport" thing, that I would argue that your average normal person cares a great deal more about the football team they barrack for than they do about the gender of the person next to them in the line at the supermarket. So your right wing transphobic culture warriors used that as a way to try and turn mostly apathetic/supportive people into transphobes by going "Hey, you know thatthing you care about? Football. Well the evil transes are ruining it! So if you care about football, you must hate them."

It has definitely been used as a right wing wedge issue, but I don't think it's because people care in the way you're describing. If you rounded up a group of "average" people and they all said that they care deeply about women's swimming or weightlifting, I'd feel pretty comfortable calling almost all of them liars.

I don't think it's meant to be making transphobes out of sports fans at any significant scale (though certainly some of that will happen just by getting some individuals sucked into the radicalization pipeline), it's just an outlet for preexisting feelings of "I don't understand this, I find it uncomfortable, and therefore I demand it stop" that is deemed acceptable in ~*the discourse*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU