Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to op for making this thread!

Depressing/infuriating stuff ahead:

So the "Don't Say Gay" bill in Florida is hosed and evil. Here's a piece about it if you're not familiar: https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/3263384-floridas-parental-rights-in-education-act-is-unconstitutional-unnecessary-and-bigoted/. But if you think it's about trying to drive lgbtq people into the closet, well, that's a half-truth!

It's about building support for mass murder.

Here's what DeSantis's press secretary says:

https://twitter.com/ChristinaPushaw/status/1499890719691051008

They know exactly what this rhetoric is. I'm not going to dive into the history of "they're gonna get your children" and genocide but this is how it works.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1511721033207848960

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1511171842366713858

https://twitter.com/saoirsegowan/status/1512977926819618818

Here's another godawful thing that just got passed.

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/life/alabama-governor-kay-ivey-signs-two-deadly-and-harmful-anti-trans-bills-into-law/

quote:

medical professionals will face felony charges for offering gender-affirming care to trans youth under the age of 18 years old.

If an individual is found guilty of providing puberty blockers, hormone therapy or gender-affirming surgeries, the penalty could be $15,000 with up to 10 years in prison.

According to the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics), it seems depriving trans youth of their medical resources will increase the suicide rate of trans children. Here's what they say: https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/12780. There's no way this is not intentional, but frankly who cares, we know where it leads.

I sure hope other people and especially people with power fight back against this!

Remember the only reason gay people can even get married in the United States is a single Supreme Court case!

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

Genuine question: are we actually treating sapiosexuality as an actual orientation now...?

No, it's not a thing.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo that this thread is arguing about demisexuality or whatever like it's 2015. Self-identification is a tool and if a particular linguistic object is useful to you then use it, if it's not, drop it and let it go. And also be aware of what "useful" means: does your definition of that include rethinking harmful power structures, etc.?

So yeah LGBTQ rights are being rolled back across the United States and it sucks, what are the current nation-level strategies to fight against this? What are the state/local strategies?

What are we supposed to do?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with microlabels is, identity and community are inextricably linked, and you really don't want to atomize communities down to the level where there's no community at all. Why? Because there's strength in numbers and size. We're going to need to find commonalities, the things that link the lgbtq community together, because that's important for collective action. Everybody belongs to muliple categories and there's nothing wrong with being specific and individual about what category you're in, but you can't lose sight of the other, larger communities you're also in. And the big communities, when organized, can get things done.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

I've got a question: do people qualify as part of the movement simply if they're not straight, or do they need to want to be in some way?

I'm cis and I've lived my life 99% as a straight guy, but I'm definitely not just a straight guy. I'm comfortable in private, very private as in with my partner, talking about the ways I'm attracted to men as well as women, but I've never acted on it even though I'd kind of like to some day. I don't, and never have, identified as a pansexual or queer person. Maybe as bi? It's not how I present myself, and not really how I think of myself, yet it is an indelible part of me. "Queer culture" kind of makes me uncomfortable, which I can pretty safely blame on being raised in the blood-gargling beating heart of White American Evangelical Christianity right up until I went to college. I've never felt the need or desire to identify as anything but straight, which is definitely my privilege, yet I am not just straight.

I don't have anything riding on the answer. I am just kind of wondering how, if at all, people like me are fit into rich and varied tapestry that is identity in modern 21st century America.

You have uh "concerns" about trans women doing too well in sports so no, you do not fit in anywhere.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Miss Broccoli posted:

I think this is a good example for the ally chat. How are you is clearly stating they are straightn't. He's saying he comes from a hosed up catholic environment that has messed him up. He didn't say anything too egregious in that thread - he was no trolologist or aginor or mycophobia or col. cool. He's clearly thinking through some poo poo and is stating hes pondering where he sits sexually, seems like hes going to land somewhere around bi. He is one of us.

We don't have to tolerate transphobia. We shouldn't have to. But this ain't it Sharkie. How Are You I'm gunna have to put my foot down too and say >:c if you question my right to play sport but you're not the enemy.

Sharkie if we turn away every single person who comes from a conservative shithole we are never going to get anywhere. Like I admitted to earlier, I'm trans and I was cracking helicopter jokes right up until i came out. I'm better now. I know better now. I like myself now and I was doing that poo poo out of self hatred. He's quite clearly come from an environment where his only exposure to people like me (and you?) is loving silence of the lambs and ace ventura, that doesnt make him a bastard. It makes him a victim of this same bullshit culture around queerness.

You're right. For the record I am a trans woman, and I live in a place where yeah I do interact with and live/work with people who uh, don't always have the best takes about trans issues. Most people would call it a "conservative shithole." So yeah I try to meet people where they're at. If I didn't associate with people who had lovely beliefs at one time or another, I'd starve.

I will say though that part of navigating that comes down to recognizing people as individuals and making determinations about how I feel about them based on that individual's history and behavior around me, though that bumps up against certain debate-style rules, so I'll let it go.

But you are right, I try not to expect, I don't know what you'd call it, a history of perfectly acceptable opines from the people around me. That's not feasible, or desireable. People learn and grow and it's important they have the space to do that.

edit - Though yes that's not incumbant on everyone in the community to put up with bullshit. I don't know that hard and fast rules are really neccessary as opposed to taking people how they come, looking at that particular situation and the people involved, and working from there.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just a reminder that D&D is not safe or welcoming for trans people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)