Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel also like there's a larger disconnect between being able to accept a trans person and a gay person to some people. Like "I'm a dude like you, I just like having sex with other dudes instead of women," someone can still see them as "normal" and who that person is dating doesn't really change much about them.

This is us reaping what was sowed in the fight for gay marriage. I remember this explicitly being the decision to make same-sex relationships normal/acceptable and I remember a variety of queer activists, including trans activists, sounding the alarm that people who fell out of that normalized category would be further marginalized, and a couple decade later, here we are. The fact that society now sees homosexual as more normal than these other things is a testament to how effective that campaign was.

It’s not hard to imagine (if the demographics were different) a movement that had won rights for binary heterosexual trans folks that threw everyone else under the bus, since it preserved the sanctity of marriage being between a woman and a man. In fact, there are (outdated/odious) standards of care for treating transgender people that include a requirement that the person be living as their desired gender and one of the tests of that is their heterosexuality.

Hil Malatino writes about this in Trans Care which is short and excellent.
https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/trans-care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My position is that I have exactly 0 oz of interest in policing the borders of the queer community. I'm not particularly interested in patrolling the borders either. Like, I just don't much care about what happens there. Plenty of interesting and urgent stuff happening in the more populated zones.

My disinterest is driven by two things. One is that in my real-world personal experience, the marginalized people devoting their time to policing the borders were doing so in order to define out of relevance marginalized people who disagreed with them. Two is that intersectionality means that I don't need to be particularly concerned about the boundaries because my work spills over the edges of whatever boundaries we might draw.

This passage from Repairers of the Breach has been resonating with me.

quote:

Intentionally diversify the movement with the goal of winning unlikely allies. Often the groups most impacted by injustice have been convinced that they are enemies. Fusion politics is about helping those who have suffered injustice and have been divided by extremism to see what we have in common. We do this by bringing people together across dividing lines and helping them hear one another. We have no permanent enemies, only permanent issues, rooted in our deepest moral and constitutional values.
https://www.breachrepairers.org/14-principles-of-moral-fusion-organizing

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Congratulations to Monáe on their apotheosis.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

We know of gay animals and trans animals, and asexual animals. Does nonbinary and all "beyond the binary" definitions we are using for people (which in my experience are often post-puberty adults with sexual characteristics) exist in nature outside of human society? Is there any scientific basis behind it? How much scientific research has been put into it?

There is a pretty good summary of the biology/science of sex & gender at the outset of this article that Woozy linked in the transgender athletes thread.
https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/shades-of-gray-sex-gender-and-fairness-in-sport/

In summary: There's a big pile of biological and cultural phenomena that do not fit neatly in the gender binary. The reality of people is far more strange and varied than a simple 1/0 switch.

quote:

Or is it just one of those words like 'cisgender'? For those unaware, cis is one of those words which originated not in a scholarly capacity but is widely believed to be coined in a USENET post as a way to deny social dominance to the majority.

I think you might want to revisit your ideas about where valid ideas or words come from. In general, the academy is not in the business of coining and doling out new words and definitely not in the business of defining and distributing new cultural phenomena. Mostly, when it comes to cultural things and vocabulary, the academy studies and codifies things happening in the world.

A term was needed, and so in was invented and then in was adopted and is now in widespread use.

I think it's kind of weird that you are fine with the idea that there are trans animals (whatever that means) given that 'transgender' was coined in 1965. It took some time to catch on. There are people alive today who identify as transsexual even though that is no longer the preferred term. It was the term that was used and continues to make sense for them. We continue to learn and things continue to change. Reality is not stable.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

The problem here is sexual orientation. How the gently caress do we square the people we select for intercourse when descriptors have lost their relevancy?

The descriptors have not lost their relevancy. The idea that the borders of these descriptors can be cleanly drawn is a misunderstanding of what descriptors do. The idea that the borders must be cleanly drawn and vigorously enforced is where the problems and oppressions lie.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think that except for the part where we are living through a moral panic, so nothing about identity can be neutral, there’s really nothing about identity that demands you do anything other than the path of least resistance. I mean, another name for that would be “the path of comfortably being.” Which, to me, is the goal. Going through a period of angst or suffering to get there doesn’t make it any more authentic, you know?

I don’t want to spend the rest of my life urgently considering the shape and parameters of my identity and I resent that the politics of the moment has made the work I need to do now much more fraught than it needs to be. I would not, however, say that you comfortably existing makes you part of the problem. The paths should be easier for everyone.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dog King posted:

What I'm interested to go over is the exact definition of trans where it makes sense to say one can be trans and not know it. Or where being trans can't be conditional on externalities, like Jaxyon implied. Like I said, the definition I'm operating under is "identify as a gender other than what they were assigned at birth," but I'm not really an expert in this.

A useful term I’ve come across is “bio-social”. It’s a recognition that a lot of human health and disease is a mix of a lot of factors and we can’t cleanly silo them by the disciplines. There does seem to be some biological basis for gender dysphoria (summary here: https://genderdysphoria.fyi/en/causes) and also gender is socially constructed and the current diagnosis scheme for gender dysphoria is basically self-diagnosis. This society doesn’t have a lot of respect for self-diagnosis, so you have a moral panic about “groomers” tricking people into thinking they are trans and a lot of airtime given to de-transitioning people. This doesn’t do anyone who is questioning any favours because it means you might have to climb over a mountain of stigma and denial to self-diagnose.

The degree to which identity is discovered vs constructed by the individual and the society they live in is extremely messy, made all the messier by the fact that we haven’t really gotten over the mind/body duality.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, “I could lie to people,” is not actually a powerful philosophical objection.

I think you’ll find that, in many places, telling people you are trans will have an immediate material impact on your life.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dog King posted:

That wouldn't be lying to people in the example I gave.

Wait, in your example they are genuinely trans but they are not socially/medically transitioning? That’s…a lot of trans people. Especially a lot of the ones going to a trans space for the first time.

As someone who has been living that exact situation, I can tell you: it has a SUBSTANTIAL material effect on one’s life.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
When I worked out that I had gender dysphoria and started experimenting with my appearance, I learned that the ceiling for how enthusiastic I could be about my body was much higher than I thought.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
None of the language-like noises that precede "but" contain meaning.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I don’t think Maher, Shapiro, Peterson are properly labeled as TERFs. There’s not a lot of RF in their politics. They’re just boring regular transphobes.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Corporate fashion is a signal, not a source so I can’t bring myself to care about it one way or another. The fact that many people do think it’s worth caring about is a testament to the successful spread of the notion that our main political/ethical agency exist in individual buying decisions.

CHUDS burning Nikes didn’t help or harm the BLM movement. Same deal when I see a cute pair of rainbow converse.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
There is nothing inherently anti-capitalist about being queer.

Like every other form of resistance, rebellion, and non-conformity, capitalism is perfectly capable of carving up queerness like an artisanal butcher. It takes the choice cuts to suit its uses and throws away the rest.

Take one of the great queer victories of our time: same-sex marriage.

quote:

Marriage is a legal instrument that establishes legitimate entitlement to assets and their inheritance. As such, access to it is necessary for ascent into the ruling class. For example, as a 2017 Pew report shows, marriage is becoming something disproportionately for rich people. As the economy shifts from one built on presumably legitimate theft and extraction to one focused on presumably legitimate inheritance (e.g., the booming market in music copyright), limiting access to marriage on the basis of sexuality alone is no longer in the best interest of the ruling class. Obergefell, the Supreme Court case that guaranteed gays couples the right to marriage, maximized rich white families’ capacities for the intergenerational hoarding of both wealth and life chances.
https://jezebel.com/who-does-cancel-culture-serve-1846481257

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

No.

The trans chat thread where trans people share personal stories and support and commiseration and tips is not the place for debates about the place of queerness in capitalism, LGTBQIA+ political discussion in general etc.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
You are not, in fact, required to engage with every bit of grievance-driven media that the right wing grift-o-sphere produces.

Given that “what is a woman” is at the heart of just about every Gender studies/Women’s studies 101, and that the boundaries of womanhood are extremely blurry, culturally specific, and fluid, I’d prepare myself for a hypothetical encounter with these people by doing a refresher on that material and then asking them lots of sincere and increasingly troubling questions.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Which module of media training covers “telling people they are dumb in order to begin their education”?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Here is Levi's definitely understanding the essence of gender.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It’d be nice to communicate to the provider that we are not happy sharing services with KF. Feedback from customers is louder than feedback from the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Cloudflare changed their mind.
https://archive.ph/NkfgB

quote:

Cloudfare Chief Executive Matthew Prince, who earlier this week published a lengthy blog post justifying the company’s services defending Kiwi Farms, told The Washington Post he had changed his mind amid an online campaign against the site and a surge in credible violent threats stemming from the site.

“As Kiwi Farms has has felt more threatened, they have reacted by being more threatening,” Prince said. “We think there is an imminent danger, and the pace at which law enforcement is able to respond to those threats we don’t think is fast enough to keep up.”