Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBH even if transphobia ended tomorrow, a world where assigned at birth gender no longer exists is probably so far in the future, if it ever happens, that trying to come up with hypothetical terminology for it is a fool's errand. Language just evolves too fast; anything we came up with now would be next to meaningless by the time it actually matters.

E: Like, just as an example of the massive linguistic shifts we're talking about here, to get to this world we need to decouple names from gender entirely. Either that or kids just don't have names until they come up with one themselves, which sounds like a horrible idea.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Sometimes I think the zoomers (particularly outside of the states still hostile to LGBT people's right to exist) have been raised in the comfort of so much acceptance that they sacrifice too much to support the class war. In some people's lives, the pride flags at some big national chain outlet are the only pride flags in the whole town.

I'm not sure what exactly you think they're sacrificing? It doesn't actually cost anything to maintain a healthy level of skepticism towards capital's coopting of pride for profit. Except the fuzzy feelings you get from supporting [brand], I guess, but if you're already opposed to capital in general then those aren't worth anything anyway.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

When it comes to the question of nature or nurture, "OR" tends to be the word that is actually incorrect. I'm on the autistic spectrum, so there is absolutely a genetic aspect of me that made me predisposed to be trans.

Okay, so this is something I'm curious about (disclaimer: am, to the best of my knowledge, neurotypical, and not particularly informed about autism specific issues): I've generally been under the impression that the correlation between autism and transness isn't so much indicative of an inherent predisposition as it is a reflection that the circumstances of navigating allistic society mean that A) You're more likely to recognize that you're trans, and B) trying to stay closeted is even more mentally draining for you. Am I actually totally off base here?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I mean, while it's an extreme example, and the school setting and safety concerns do complicate matters, there's also a genuine discussion to be had about how women with large busts get discriminated against in the workplace for dressing "unprofessionally." (Read: wearing clothes that fit)

But yes, whether or not the woman in question is trans shouldn't have any bearing on that conversation.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Who the hell names their kid Zachariah Zachariah? But also that's exactly the sort of name I'd expect someone pulling this poo poo to have.