Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Thank you very much for making this thread. But also:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think one thing I try to keep as an educator is how much we’ve come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I'm trans. Taking hormones, changing my name and wardrobe are all decisions I made in response to that fact, not the other way around.

I view being trans as a positive thing, but to use an extreme example: if I have cancer it's not contingent on me getting treatment or not. If I live in a cave and don't know what cancer is I still have cancer. Likewise when I was a teenager and didn't yet have the knowledge and language to apply the trans label to myself I was still trans. Egg cracking is a long process.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

For whatever it's worth I spent a lot of time thinking I'd only transition if there was some way to do it at the push of a button. I didn't think there was a good chance I'd be happy with transition tools as they were currently available. But eventually I decided that even if it wasn't perfect it was better than living as a dude so I made the jump and I really couldn't be happier.

The Button hypothetical has its issues (mainly I believe with covering nonbinary identities) but it did help me early on cut through a lot of the bullshit fueling my doubts and insecurity. Once I was able to establish "this is who I am and this is what I want" it was a lot easier for me to move forward.

oh god oh fuck fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 3, 2022

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

While it doesn't at all encompass the realities of transition, it did help me recognize and accept that I was trans and transition was something I wanted.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Mrenda posted:

I'm specifically not talking about starting transition. I said that repeatedly. I'm trying to start a more nuanced discussion about how useful such questions are once someone has decided, "I'm trans," and has gone on to take action on transitioning.

In the endless attack on trans healthcare I'm trying to get ahead of some doctor asking someone who's settled into a comfortable-ish routine, with sacrifices in their life and saying, "Would you press the button?" and when they're told stop talking so stupidly by the trans person writes down. "Combative about their gender. Stop treatment."

Similarly, this goes back to my earlier point about how someone having a solid conception of self — a trans self — separate to legal, medical and social transition, and how the approaches used ten years ago might not work with someone now knowing they're trans but exposed to how trans life actually is (through friends, the media, etc.)

Well that hypothetical is only really aimed at and relevant to someone very early on in figuring out their gender identity. Someone who's on the cusp of establishing "the trans self". I've never seen it come up in any other context.

Once we get into questions of actual real life transition it becomes a lot less abstract. When I started I'd ask people in my area about which clinics offer informed consent, how to deal with family and partners, how do I shop for clothes, etc.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I didn't notice the immediate dramatic brain shift some others did but I did over time notice I was a little more emotional and less aggressive. A lot of the changes are so slow you don't notice them until you stop and compare to how you were pre HRT.

Everything that's come I've been happy with though. Prior to starting I was filled with a lot of doubts over whether I'd regret it but as soon as I did I knew for certain I was never going back.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

TERF at this point has morphed into "anti trans but nominally left wing/liberal/centrist". I wouldn't say it applies to Peterson or Shapiro but Maher is a guy who portrays himself as seeing through conservative bullshit.

Maher is weird because he's been around forever but I've never seen a genuine fan of his, even online. He's mostly just known for being the most annoying man in the world

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I mean nominally with a capital N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I feel like this was already mentioned earlier but the classic example is Disney splashing a bunch of "everyone is welcome love is love" poo poo in june while explicitly shutting down queer poo poo in movies/tv behind the scenes and donating to politicians trying to force us out of public life. All the superficial pride poo poo smooths over the awful poo poo for queers and allies who aren't paying attention.