Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Sharkie posted:

Holy poo poo that this thread is arguing about demisexuality or whatever like it's 2015. Self-identification is a tool and if a particular linguistic object is useful to you then use it, if it's not, drop it and let it go. And also be aware of what "useful" means: does your definition of that include rethinking harmful power structures, etc.?

So yeah LGBTQ rights are being rolled back across the United States and it sucks, what are the current nation-level strategies to fight against this? What are the state/local strategies?

What are we supposed to do?

Circle the wagons around abortion everything else is an after thought

edit: or rather an outgrowth of the socioeconomic freedom provided by family planning

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like gender has served double roles, initially as a classification system for mating it has ballooned into a cultural thing that was supposed to determine things as arbitrary and personal as which color is your favorite. I can presuppose that the dumbass cultural significance of gender in ways like "has a vagina, therefore pink dress and Barbie" has so distorted gender as a concept that it has almost completely unmoored it from chromosomes and sex organs.

Is it? we're still in a situation where half the population does more than half the work relating to the reproduction of labor, which as we know involves sex organs amongst many other things. So it seems to me like gender as a concept is still successfully doing what it was developed to do.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Dog King posted:

I'm not sure is as much of an issue for trans rights. Other than political pundits, when it comes to transphobia, cui bono?

powerful people will absolutely do anything they can to ensure that the costs of reproduction of labor are paid for by the working class itself.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

More sinisterly it means that the NeoLiberal hawks have got a readymade excuse to invade any country who hasn't been given the space to develop past the homophobia that Colonialism imposed on them.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Colonel Cool posted:

It's not a bad answer. But the trouble you're going to run into here is to even try to define it properly is a fairly complicated philosophical process that can't really be boiled down to a sound byte that sounds particularly convincing. By its very nature, that question requires you to lay a good bit of groundwork before you can even start to answer it properly. Which you obviously can't do with someone asking you gotcha questions on the spot who isn't interested in having an actual discussion on the subject.

This kind of sounds like you lack confidence or training in your ideology if you can't come up with debate answers or convincing soundbitez on the spot

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

some plague rats posted:

Yeah you got it. It's any kind of corporate nonsense, generally involving splashing rainbows around, that's designed to LGBTQ people and our allies feel like the companies are "on our side".

while also intentionally riling up the "other side" in a Strategy of Tension

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Norah Vincent, author of "Self Made Man" is dead at 53 of physician assisted suicide in Switzerland

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Do we know how the both line up with birth order/other epigenetic theories?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

idk this story has that fishy tabloid smell of context being omitted or fabricated. i don't discount it entirely or think trans people are incapable of doing something incredibly silly like this but it feels like a piece is missing.

at first glance my impression is that this is some sort of dress up day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

PT6A posted:

I don't see the average cis teenager going "yeah, I'm not sure that's for me, let's hit the pause button on that one."

You'd be surprised, however they've got every right to those medications as well