Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Bisexual-- a term for people who like two genders, often male or female

Pansexual-- people who enjoy folks from multiple genders

I'd like to chime in and note this right here is an enormous can of worms.

Bisexuality's naming convention is a lot older than discourse around the modern model of gender identity being a spectrum. A better working definition of bisexuality in my opinion is 'attraction to more than one gender', where as pansexuality more accurately is defined as 'attraction regardless of gender'.

Unfortunately the definitions used above have been used by certain people to harass bisexual people by claiming they are inherently transphobic or prejudiced against non-binary people, both of which are fairly absurd and pretty offensive.

Edited to clarify, as opinions on such definitions are just that, there really isn't any prescriptive definition.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Absolutely, and there's no real good that can come of arguing against someone's self-definition, nobody else knows their mind as well as they do.

It's a frustrating issue, and not helped by the amount of poo poo people get over bi/pan identities even from other queer people over stuff like 'if you're in a faithful closed relationship with a partner, then clearly you're gay/straight', or 'a bi partner is always going to cheat on you, it's in their nature'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I don't look back fondly on my high school years for the same reason. Growing up in the rural Midwest in the 80's-90's was not a place to develop a healthy attitude towards queer issues and I know for a fact I said a lot of pretty heinously homophobic poo poo to try to blend in and not admit that hearing it hurt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

In response, Minnesota's got a bill proposed to make them a sanctuary state:

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1517010154570588160?s=20&t=aHrwB8ru1WqVWd4HhC6VEA

Reading it, it's nicely specific in how it shelters families.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Miss Broccoli posted:

I didn't know. He should still shut the gently caress up about trans people and women.

Vaush should shut the gently caress up in general as well. Dude's a self-admitted sex pest who has argued in favor of legalizing possession of CSAM because he sees no moral or legal argument against it as there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 24, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The state of research is rapidly changing as are the definitions of what is even being researched.

The criteria for Gender Dysphoria, for example, were changed significantly in the DSM-V from the old definitions that were part of Gender Identity Disorder, no longer treating it as a mental illness to be worked against but a source of psychological distress to be treated. Much like the removal of homosexuality as a mental illness in 1973.

This means that a lot of the older research is based on definitions of transgender identity that are wholly out of touch with the modern understanding, making it somewhere between difficult and outright intellectually dishonest to try and draw conclusions from them.

For an example of the intellectual dishonesty, see Florida's recent one-pager here.

In it, they state that social transition and gender-affirming treatment should not be given to children and adolescents based on a 2105 paper referencing studies from decades before that determined 80% of a sample of birth-assigned male children seen for gender identity issues in the late 80's at the Center for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto did not still present with them in follow-ups 20 years later. Said study has been criticized for methodological issues given it counts those who did not respond among the 'desisters', and in some cases did not even speak to the patients at all, but rather their parents. The author later wrote a rebuttal to criticism stating that the paper being quoted did not attempt to measure rate of persistence at all.

The Child Gender Identity Clinic at CAMH, it must be noted, has since ceased operation. Kenneth Zucker, author of some of the studies referenced by the Florida DH, was a clinician there who made statements about his practice that were decried as amounting to conversion therapy, and was let go and the clinic closed after an external review could not state this was not the case. Another who worked for the clinic was Ray Blanchard, who those interested in trans issues may be familiar with as the primary proponent of the theory of autogynephilia, which has been widely criticized and rejected by WPATH as lacking any empirical evidence.

The Human Rights Campaign has a more detailed rebuttal, with reference to studies published in the last few years, here.

The American Psychological Association has responded as well, stating:

quote:

“This memo from the Florida Department of Health distorts the psychological science regarding the treatment of gender non-conforming children. Research into the treatment of gender non-conforming individuals has found that withholding evidence-based treatments can be psychologically damaging, especially to children and youths who are struggling with their gender identity. Rates of self-injury, suicidal ideation and suicide attempts are much higher among gender dysphoric youth, ironically attributed to stress associated with non-affirming approaches to these very real issues.

“The Florida memo relies not on science, but on biased opinion pieces and cherry-picked findings to support a predetermined viewpoint and create a narrative that is not only scientifically inaccurate but also dangerous.

“The American Psychological Association urges both policymakers and psychological practitioners to follow APA’s carefully researched ‘Guidelines for Psychological Practice With Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People,’ which call for ‘culturally competent, developmentally appropriate, and trans-affirmative psychological practice’ with such individuals, including minors."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

It's almost like we need to turn the Kinsey scale from a linear 1-10 thing into a Political Compass meme wherein sex characteristics and gender identity are charted on an axis.

EDIT: If there are sapiosexuals, I hope they keep their community clean because man does that sound like an easy avenue for racists to slide in their lovely theories.

The Kinsey scale is 75 years old and further elaboration on it has been ongoing. Adding an X and Y axis to denote a scale between asexuality (attraction to no partners) and pansexuality (attraction to all partners regardless of gender expression) was proposed as early as 1980.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 26, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah. That is definitely not the context 'identifies as' is used in normally. It is a matter of self-definition, not outward announcement.

It's also often twisted by transphobes, TERFs especially, as a way to otherise trans people. Constantly using 'x identifies as a woman' to imply 'but is not', especially by "jokes" like 'I identify as an attack helicopter', to quote one of the most common angles of this bullshit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A lot of people, especially those who've never questioned their own self-definitions, have a very hard time drawing a hard line between 'this is what I find attractive' and 'this is how people are allowed to be'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It also depends on how you're counting transgender people. Most of the research done has been on women who transitioned.

Men who transitioned and nonbinary people who identify as trans seem rarely considered.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

As I brought up earlier though, there predictable variables that make someone less likely to identify as queer:

-Being assigned male
-Being religious
-Being politically conservative
-Being older

The total queer population in the US is 5% but closer to 20% among younger generations.

Remember too that's warped by both the social pressure not to talk about it, and the 324,029 men and women who died of AIDS in the decade between 1987 and 1998. Roughly 10% of all out gay men among the Boomers died in those ten years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

This is gonna sound kind of like I never developed empathy, but a certain number of teenagers die every year, and some of them are queer. Proportionally how many of them are queer, I haven’t seen any details to see how it aligns with the general population.

If you don't know, why are you then immediately trying to minimalize it?

I want to think you're in good faith, but that sort of response is exactly the rhetoric that immediately puts up my hackles and says 'this person is a bad actor pretending to be civil'.

Please stop and ask yourself why that is your first reaction.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

It should be pointed out that sex is very much not a binary and it's entirely possible for you to be XX and present as a male with a fully functioning male biology. Sex is a spectrum just as gender is.

Yeah, it's important to remember that the 'assigned sex at birth' transphobes harp on is quite literally a best guess by doctors based on external anatomy, not some pronouncement from on high.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Speaking of research on LGBTQ+ issues: https://pridestudy.org/study

The PRIDE (Population Research in Identity and Disparities for Equality) study is an ongoing long-term national health study from Stamford School of Medicine and UCAL SF to better understand health issues in the LGBTQ+ community as there has been a lack of research on how we are affected specifically, and what disparities exist in health care.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2017/08/pride-study-will-help-doctors-learn-about-lgbtq-health.html posted:

The study’s principal investigators, Juno Obedin-Maliver and Mitchell Lunn—both physicians and researchers at UCSF—were medical school colleagues at Stanford, and two of the founding members of the school’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Medical Education Research Group. (Lunn was co-author of a study about homophobia in medical schools, which I’ve written about previously.) Obedin-Maliver told me:

One of the big barriers we often found trying to encourage people to teach medical students, doctors or other health care providers about LGBTQ+ people was they said, “Well, there wasn’t enough evidence about the health care needs of the community.” And we kept giving lectures and complaining that the studies weren’t being done. We knew that health disparities were there, but we didn’t know how bad, how deep, how broad the problems were, or how comprehensive, because there wasn’t inclusion often in national studies. So Mitch and I said, “We’re both researchers, we’re both clinicians. Let’s stop complaining and do something about it.”

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dog King posted:

The problem I see with seeing trans as an intrinsic and unchangeable (essential) quality, where your actions and self-description don't affect it, is that it can lead to someone like me who lives as their assigned gender being able to say they're trans in spite of that having no material effect on their life. Like if I walked into a trans space and said I was one of them, but I have no plans to ever identify as a woman or change my life in any way, I think they'd be justified in looking at me weird.

Frankly, who cares?

Labels are descriptive, not prescriptive. To use an example from my own life, my orientation does not depend on who I'm presently in a relationship with. There's no bisexual mafia out there throwing people out of the club if they aren't smooching a sufficient variety of partners.

If you're questioning your gender enough to want to say that you're transgender, the odds of you not being so are extremely slim. A fair number of transgender people, especially nonbinary folks, may not outwardly transition in any easily observable way. Especially given the discrimination, hate, and violence directed at openly trans people.

If you're just going into those spaces to be an rear end in a top hat, it'll be glaringly obvious, and frankly a lot of extra work since some dudes will walk in anywhere and feel justified by their social role of perceived authority.

Same thing that always comes up around bathroom bills. If a predator wants to assault someone in a womens' restroom they will just do so.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 2, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's absolutely a threat. Fifteen minutes after that decision drops, the TX AG is going to issue guidance only allowing marriage certificates to be valid for straight marriages based on 'Original, unaltered certificate of birth'. Shortly backed up by executive order from Abbot to bait a civil rights suit that can be escalated through the 5th District to Alito's desk.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that's a thing. Even something relatively more minor like top surgery for trans dudes is out of reach for a lot of people due to the costs and recovery time involved.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's just the usual bullshit.

"I don't personally have the will to do violence against you, so I'll just pretend you don't exist and hope others do the violence for me offscreen so I can pretend it never happened."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The common one that really weird me out is "how can you be in a monogamous relationship, you'll always want to cheat with the gender you aren't with"

like I dunno dude how do you manage to not cheat with other people of the same gender you're attracted to? I manage it the same way.

Yeah, I lean on 'dude, the number of people of your preferred gender you have slept with isn't even a rounding error compared to the population, what keeps you from loving them?’

It seems like it's always dudes for some reason.

OwlFancier posted:

I was I suppose more thinking about the pearl clutching about younger people transitioning, or showing any indication of wanting to transition.

I was helpfully linked a youtube documentary done by Caelan Conrad a little while ago where they infiltrate online terf spaces and demonstrate all the hosed up poo poo they talk about and how they seem to think about trans people. It's very good I think, albeit difficult to watch because the subject matter is, of course, horrible. But it is full of these bizzare posts about people acting like they own their children, sometimes even their adult children, it's extremely loving weird and it's been simmering in my brain for a while.

The Venn diagram of TERF parents and narcissists isat best slightly oval.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 14, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

My experience of treatment of bisexual men in the gay male community was mostly "oh you're actually gay you're just shy and still half in the closet."

As if bisexual men were just cowardly gay men who were in denial and still clinging to a bit of their straight-ness.

Yep, heard that line before.

Weirdly coupled with being hit on after telling someone I was in a relationship because they assumed bi meant 'incapable of sticking to a single partner'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Due to having no sexual preference for men or for women I thought I was bi for my entire life up until Jan. 2020 when I learned that actually, I am functionally the opposite, I am ace (and I am also forever grateful to Julias and to you, Liquid Communism! for telling me that this is an orientation that is real and exists). Unfortunately this means I am twice-over excluded from the greater LGBTQ community :hellyeah:

I have a bunch of ace-colored pins and stickers that make me happy but a common thread between being bi and being ace is not being comfortable going out and joining pride festivities, rip.

Glad to have been helpful, LaB! It's a shame that there are LGBT+ people out there who struggle to understand ace folks and make them feel welcome. I can kind of see how, for some, it'd be hard to get their head around someone lacking attraction when attraction is such a strong part of one's self identification, but that's still no reason to be a gatekeeper over it.

I honestly think there is more to be found in common than not when it comes to folks whose orientation lies outside of the assumed social norm of heterosexuality.

On another note, anyone bracing themselves for the incoming wave of pinkwashing? I already saw a new low in Walmart house-brand Pride themed ice cream...

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 23, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It mostly bugs me because it's often a cynical marketing grab companies use while treating their LGBT+ (especially trans) employees like second class citizens year round.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Would and likely will over the next decade or so depending on how the ongoing attempts of the religious right to install Christian dominionist beliefs as law go. The megacorps will support whatever makes them money, and that'll waver based on public perception.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah. Please do not turn the CCCC chat threads into pits of endless despair. We've got Twitter if we need a running list of all the terrible bullshit going on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I mean, a certain meme comes to mind, where discussing gender with trans people is likened to a Socratic dialogue with Socrates himself, and discussing gender with cis people is likened to having a complex conversation with a toddler. I've had a number of fascinating discussions about the relationship between sex/physiological realities, gender identity and gender expression with trans people, especially with my non-binary friends, but it's pretty obvious it's something a lot of cis people never really think about or engage with in a meaningful way.

So, when we come at them with our well-developed sense of these concepts, a lot of them just reject us out of hand, because many cis people seem existentially uncomfortable with scrutinizing the nuts-and-bolts of our internal experiences of gender and how society mucks that all up.
That's not to say that cis people are incapable to understand, it's that we have to reject accepted gender roles and norms and redefine our own roles and norms just to survive, so it comes naturally for most of us. Cis people have to get really introspective and think in unfamiliar ways just because to cover that ground and a lot of people just aren't willing to do that no matter the subject.

I think it comes down to most cisgender people never having had to think deeply on what gender means to them, rather just going intuitively with what they feel fits them and the social expectations developed around it. It's one of those things that until you have a reason to really think about it, can be background noise.

some plague rats posted:

You can absolutely just not. I can't imagine why you would think you need to?

Let's be real: if someone is trying to put you on the spot and asking that question to do so then the only correct answer is "I know what you're trying to do and it won't work on me, go gently caress yourself." No one without a terrible preexisting agenda is ever going to ask you what a woman is, it's a trap question every time it's deployed and the only rational response is to just never engage on their terms

I'd go with 'Your mother, presumably. Now get out of my face.'

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh gee, there's that 'grooming' narrative again from so-called Christians.

This poo poo is going to end in someone getting shot at, same as the whole Pizzagate bullshit where the foaming at the mouth conservatives got themselves all whipped up over their fantasies and attacked a restaurant.

Also gotta love the bit at the bottom where these lovely folks play the 'if these media orgs don't platform is, take it as evidence that all our baseless accusations are true' game.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 8, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yep, and far too often the more fire and brimstone the GOP politician is in describing the sexual sins, the better the chance he or one of his buddies is into whatever he's accusing others of.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Don't forget that they bring the TERFs' strongest weapons: studies they never read which were reposted with a headline that suits them, and a complete lack of knowledge regarding what exactly the medical treatment they're objecting to others having access to consists of.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So yeah, to go with today's Roe horseshit:

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1540338064324698112

For those not familiar:

Griswold v. Connecticut is the right to privacy case that eliminated contraceptive bans.
Obergefell is of course same sex marriage.
Lawrence v. Texas is the really fun one, that's the one that eliminated loving sodomy laws.
Happy Pride month, here's a SCOTUS justice saying he wants to relitigate criminalizing sexual relations based on his religious beliefs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's going to be a fun next few years.

The Democrat establishment will, of course, have zero understanding of why this doesn't drive votes to them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Less than a third. Trump's portion of the popular vote to be elected was ~63m out of 153m registered voters, of an adult population of ~255m. So ~24%.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gotta love even the AP posting outright loving wrong poo poo to forward that homophobic narrative.

Monkeypox is vastly more virulent than an STI, and calling it one means people who should be seeking treatment will hesitate to avoid that shame and thus be infectious in the open for longer, as well as the problems with demonizing gay men over it.

Oh, and the 'groomer' calls are back after the head of the loving CDC made a crack in an interview last week how the infections seen in kids so far were 'traced back to the MSM community'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Someone should publicly ask MTG how kids get herpes, given it's an STI. I guarantee she has no idea why cold sores exist.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Meanwhile stateside, the Florida state government which commissioned its own non-peer-reviewed studies (and took a dozen or so older studies out of context to the dismay of their authors) to go against national-level guidance from the DHS and attack trans kids predictably moved forward to attack trans adults by labeling puberty blockers, HRT, and GRS as 'not medically necessary' and therefore not to be covered under Medicaid.

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1558094039114825728

Goes into effect next week, and generally private insurers use what Medicare covers as their guideline for covered treatments, so this is likely to get even uglier.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

By ignoring the latter I would expect. It is much easier to feel like you are right if you simply ignore anything that suggests you aren't.

Goes right along with their raging urge to accuse each other of being secretly transgender based on outright prhrenology-level weirdness, and spending their time harassing cis women in the bathroom for not looking feminine enough because contrary to their brainworms there just aren't that many transgender women in the world, as a percentage of population.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah the weird infantilizing bullshit about how I can't possibly know what I'm about and I've been bullied into transing is.........weird.

Yeah, the whole 'stealing our lesbians!' narrative about trans dudes being forced into being trans is certainly a... thing. Especially out of a group that is overwhelmingly straight, middle aged, middle class, cisgender women who bully gay women for not being feminine enough whenever they aren't using them as a prop for their social crusade against transgender people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Remember when Utah decided they needed laws against transgender kids playing high school sports? As always, transphobes immediately started seeing their fears everywhere, and now resorted to accusing a cisgender girl of being transgender for winning a swim meet.

The parents of the second and third place finishers demanded the school district verify the winner's gender. Neither she, nor her parents were told about this. Thankfully someone has two brain cells and they checked via a records search and not a strip search.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I mean gently caress that noise, I can eat cheese too if I'm willing to put up with the consequences, that doesn't make me lactose tolerant. :v:

Oh, and of course since it's Friday, noted human-shaped pile of excrement and traitor Marjorie Taylor Green felt the need to show the world her rear end in a top hat like a hairless cat on a glass table.

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1560660360373620737

Full text here: https://greene.house.gov/sites/evo-subsites/greene.house.gov/files/evo-media-document/Protect_Children%27s_Innocence_Act_Bill_Text.pdf

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hits keep on coming: https://ktla.com/news/nexstar-media-wire/florida-private-christian-school-asks-lgbtq-students-to-leave/

quote:

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A Florida mother is opening up about her decision to remove her lesbian daughter from a private Christian school with a policy that gay students are not welcome and “would be asked to leave immediately.”

“She was scared she was gonna open her mouth and expose herself, right but she’s not scared anymore,” said the mom, who asked to conceal her identity for fear of harassment.

NBC News first obtained an email from the Grace Christian School administrator in June that outlines the school’s human sexuality policies. It told parents that they had to agree with the policies before their students could start the new school year.

“From what I read it is not a new policy, but that was the first time I was made aware of that policy,” the mom said.

All of her children have attended the Grace Christian School in Valrico, but after reading the email from administrator Barry McKeen, she said she couldn’t send her youngest daughter back there for her junior year.

“I actually respect their opinion,” she said, “but my daughter’s wellbeing, right, and mental health is more important.”

According to the email, the school will only refer to students by their sex assigned at birth. It also states that any form of homosexuality or transgender identity is “sinful in the sight of God and the church.”

“Students who are found participating in these lifestyles will be asked to leave the school immediately,” McKeen wrote.

Neither the Grace Christian School office nor McKeen responded to emails from News Channel 8 asking for comment on why the school decided to reinforce its human sexuality policies for this school year.

“I have to say about that school — there are some loving teachers at that school,” the mother said. “There’s teachers that know a lot of these children are gay for sure and they still love them.”

The mom said her youngest daughter never faced discrimination, but at times she was left out. Before enrolling her daughter at a new private religious school, she said she spoke with the owner.

“I just want to know if it’s Christian based and he said, ‘Yes it is.’ And I said ‘I’m gonna tell you up front my daughter is gay and will that be a problem?’ “He [the owner] said ‘No, God loves everybody.’”

The mother said her daughter is thriving at her new school.

“I am accepting,” she said. “I love my children. I don’t care but there’s families that I know of that really have more than a hard time with their children being gay and it’s sad.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Victar posted:

I never heard of Gillick competence before today, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. "Gillick competence is a term originating in England and Wales and is used in medical law to decide whether a child (a person under 16 years of age) is able to consent to their own medical treatment, without the need for parental permission or knowledge."

US laws vary from state to state, but the whole concept of "no need for parental permission or knowledge" is extremely demonized by the right wing. A legally emancipated minor in the US might be able to do certain things without parental knowledge or consent. Beyond that, I have no idea.

From a realistic perspective, a child in the US who needs gender affirming care is very unlikely to get it without parental consent, simply because medical care costs much more money than a child is likely to have. Adult trans people here often have problems affording gender affirming care, especially if they're unfortunate enough to live in an area where none of the medical insurance providers cover it.

Note in disgusting truths that 'need for consent of an adult guardian' has been used to keep child brides from getting medical care (including contraceptives or abortions) or filing for divorce from their of-age husbands, as they are legally speaking their guardians.