Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

PT6A posted:

Yeah, looking at some of the definitions online, I was probably wrong, but in my defense: it seems really ridiculous to call that a sexuality.

Kink is not a sexuality, preference for intelligent people or tall people or whatever else, is not a sexuality.

I've personally known very few people who identify primarily as sapiosexual but my interpretation has usually been for it to mean someone whose attraction to a person is driven more by their mental attributes than their physical -- someone primarily attracted to people who exhibit high emotional intelligence regardless of body, etc. I think that's, at least to a point, different than just "I prefer smart/tall/[insert specific characteristic here] people."

OwlFancier posted:

But you aren't going to foster a sense of community by telling people they can't identify as [x] they have to identify as [umbrella term y] instead.

Agreed, and it's real easy to feel out of sync in a larger umbrella community to the point where you need to seek out those who might also align to your more granular identities - there are plenty enough articles/interviews/blog posts with demisexuals who cite previously identifying as ace before realizing it didn't quite fit and felt much more at ease with themselves upon discovering demisexuality, and were able to find/build a community from there. They're still under the broad asexuality spectrum/umbrella but some conversations/etc. are easier to have with people who more closely align to your specific thing, especially when it's an umbrella community that can sometimes feel a little too gatekeepy in how much sexual attraction someone can experience before they're no longer allowed to consider themselves ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU