Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
The only reason why I think the Panthers made a mistake is that the current org looks just completely out of their depth at QB evaluation.

That's probably a bad sign in general. Falcons at least have a guy who was great at evaluating talent when he was with the Saints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The funniest thing is that im pretty sure Corral was the only "first round grade" QB who wasnt mock drafted to the panthers at some point during the scouting process

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The way I see it is 3rd rounders have a success rate of around 50% if he's trash we'll probably know it this year and Rhule will be gone and we go into next year with (hopefully) a gun left tackle and questions at QB like we have now, if hes good. Well cool. I'm happy they took a swing anyway. We know what Darnold is (or rather... isn't) might as well suck it and see.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Pretty drat happy with the Falcons draft so far. Glad we took Ridder over Willis and really glad we didn't get him in the 1st or 2nd round.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

The only reason why I think the Panthers made a mistake is that the current org looks just completely out of their depth at QB evaluation.

That's probably a bad sign in general. Falcons at least have a guy who was great at evaluating talent when he was with the Saints.

Hurney was responsible for bridgewater and he’s gone. Hurney was also going to draft Herbert if he fell.

Rhule was responsible for darnold. He thought he could rehab him and make something out of him and clearly that hasnt worked out.

They were also in on the stafford and watson trades.

And now they’ve drafted Matt corral.

Oh and I guess they backed out of baker but I’ll judge that if we ever hear terms.

What was the better qb move in the last five years? What move did they not make? I mean maybe trade up for Herbert (which would have been laughable at the time), or get in on the Wilson trade but I’m not sure Carolina is ICONIC enough for him. Obviously fields but it’s hard to judge since horn got injured and field’s career was just dragged into a corner and shot. Maybe mccorkle but gently caress that guy

They obviously traded too much for darnold, but the contract numbers are meaningless (as I know you agree) and I actually think picking up darnolds option/spending a second was an attempt to boost his confidence.
That’s just a theory tho.

I’m just saying I don’t see any better options over the last four years, so it’s difficult to judge their ability to evaluate, especially since there’s been so much turnover.

One thing is clear with this draft tho: fitterer is in charge. Gotta think Rhule is on a short leash.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 30, 2022

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

FizFashizzle posted:

I’m just saying I don’t see any better options over the last four years, so it’s difficult to judge their ability to evaluate, especially since there’s been so much turnover.

I think you're right. I'd say moving on from Bridgewater was a tough problem. He went from top 10 in DVOA to 20th, then back to top 10 in Denver (though hilariously with identical stat lines?). But I get why they moved on. Just you're left with a guy leaving and playing better immediately while the replacement looks no better.

Honestly the bizarre answer is Winston, but I get why no one would push that button or run "QB who looked good in New Orleans will certainly look good here" back after Bridgewater. Hell, no clue if Winston will be good at all anyway with the coach change.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I will toxx that Jameis Winston will be a top 30 QB this year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

I think you're right. I'd say moving on from Bridgewater was a tough problem. He went from top 10 in DVOA to 20th, then back to top 10 in Denver (though hilariously with identical stat lines?). But I get why they moved on. Just you're left with a guy leaving and playing better immediately while the replacement looks no better.

Honestly the bizarre answer is Winston, but I get why no one would push that button or run "QB who looked good in New Orleans will certainly look good here" back after Bridgewater. Hell, no clue if Winston will be good at all anyway with the coach change.

I think his collapse is half him plying a full year and teams keying in on him and half joe Brady. Brady was obviously not what was advertised.

And this latest (fifth?) eye surgery for Winston is gonna be the one that does it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

:rip:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Silly Burrito posted:

How many games will he need to play?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

I think his collapse is half him plying a full year and teams keying in on him and half joe Brady. Brady was obviously not what was advertised.

And this latest (fifth?) eye surgery for Winston is gonna be the one that does it.

Winston could just be as good as he was last year, not get cheap shotted into an ACL tear, and the Saints would have won the South, and they're returning almost the entire defense (Williams is so good it's a big loss, though) and hopefully not third stringers on the O Line.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

Winston could just be as good as he was last year, not get cheap shotted into an ACL tear, and the Saints would have won the South, and they're returning almost the entire defense (Williams is so good it's a big loss, though) and hopefully not third stringers on the O Line.

Is the sheriff going to transport Kamara to games or can deputies do it?

not sure how thats set up under Napoleonic law

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

His mistake was committing crimes outside of the city. Will Smith did a drunken hit and run and was shot while pulling a gun in the insuring altercation and his shooter had the fastest murder conviction in the history the city it felt like.

Also Smith got hammered before driving while at dinner with a police officer who showed up and likely tampered with evidence.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Who the gently caress drafts a punter in the fourth round?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Jags drafted Bryan Anger in the 3rd

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A team trying to free up cap space.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

this makes more sense when you see that the Bucs don't have a 5th or 6th rounder, they feel that he probably wouldn't be there in the 7th

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How many games will he need to play?

https://twitter.com/RodWalkerNola/status/1520444130190675968?s=20&t=J_HrkjIzu9CcHgriyfPtNw

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 30, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

There was also some scuttlebutt at the time that he didn't get along with other players on the team and they weren't confident in him. If he's lost his team mates and he's a known quantity you're always going to be better off deciding to cut bait.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Saints UDFAs so far:

1) Abram Smith, running back, Baylor
2) Joel Dublanko, linebacker, Cincinati
3) Lukas Krull, tight end, Pittsburgh
4) Rashid Shaheed, wide receiver/kr, Weber State
5) Nephi Sewell, linebacker, Utah State
6) Damarcus Fields, defensive back, Texas Tech
7) Smoke Monday, safety, Auburn
8) Eric Wilson, Guard, Penn State
9) Daniel Whelan, punter, UC Davis

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bucs apparently drafted some lab concocted athletic specimen.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1520483473747853312

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How did 3 punters get drafted? And the hyped one was third?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

How did 3 punters get drafted? And the hyped one was third?

Complete guess out of my rear end but perhaps the proliferation of borderline unstoppable QB play is leading to some analytics driven strategy to place an especially large premium on goal line mortar and corner coffin punting. Maybe.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Complete guess out of my rear end but perhaps the proliferation of borderline unstoppable QB play is leading to some analytics driven strategy to place an especially large premium on goal line mortar and corner coffin punting. Maybe.

And they're getting paid. It's not a very deep position in the NFL right now. Could be in two years but for now the Saints literally held two punters for a year so that they'd have a backup for their star punter when they let him go.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Feels like punting should have a larger talent pool to choose from then it does. It’s not like kickers who are essentially impossible to really scout due to the intangible emotional component to it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hey Texas had a FG kicker who was also the punter eligible for the draft. That saves a roster spot! First-round material if you ask me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its kind of weird to me that the two are mutually exclusive so much in the nfl considering in rugby and rugby league the vast majority of your kickers do the punting equivalent too.

A friend of mine got offered to try out as a punter for a college when he was in the US and he could kick from 50m out regularly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Field goal kicking is one of those sports positions where once you’ve got the yips they might as well put you down like a race horse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BlindSite posted:

Its kind of weird to me that the two are mutually exclusive so much in the nfl considering in rugby and rugby league the vast majority of your kickers do the punting equivalent too.

A friend of mine got offered to try out as a punter for a college when he was in the US and he could kick from 50m out regularly.

There's your problem right there. We kick in yards here in the States.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im sorry I don't measure things in freedom per French fry.:biglips:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

does australia still measure weight in stone or is that a freak rear end british pervert thing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Alaois posted:

does australia still measure weight in stone or is that a freak rear end british pervert thing

Its a Brit thing. Occasionally some boomer will say something like he must be 12 stone or something but gun to my head I couldn't convert it.

All kilos and grams for weight. I can usually estimate pounds just from plates in the gym being stamped with both and being a boxing / mma fan but stone is foreign to me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Our new UDFA learns quickly.

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1520590821703229443

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

10/10 name. Putting bad jokes and puns on index cards for the season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Bucs now have at least one player born in 4 different decades. Logan Hall was born in ‘00

Holy god I’m getting old

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

PostNouveau posted:

Hey Texas had a FG kicker who was also the punter eligible for the draft. That saves a roster spot! First-round material if you ask me.

He could've been the only Texas player drafted.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Honey Badger coming home.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1521117742367186949?s=20&t=bAF-P74KLH33N_oEIz4rWw

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well it’s not like the Bucs can play worse against the Saints.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1521116043313397760?s=20&t=VL8pRlWEbYaEf-sjIZJ2fw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Not bad at all.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1521218594008272896