Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1679096551728197633?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BlindSite posted:

He should get 12 but he'll probably get 4 and the commentators will say he's put his troubles behind him.

For a misdemeanor involving another man? He should be suspended one game but will instead forfeit a game cheque.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1679143586607300608

:cool:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

need a gif of ronde winking, stat

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

They look good, honestly.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

BlindSite posted:

I remember when the fat rapist in Pittsburgh came back after his suspension and the commentators just said "it's great to see him back tonight and able to just focus on his career"

Sadly as a Minnesotan I must tip my cap to the Green Bay Packers, for stomping and pissing all over the horrific possibility of the Steelers winning the Super Bowl that year and this avoiding absolutely hideous"redemption " poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i still don't like the creamsicle uniforms, they always remind me of when we were (more) terrible

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Much like the terrible wave of 70s nostalgia that hit during the 90s, I have to ask you loving people if you are incapable of recognizing old things that are ugly.

The day-glo uniforms were terrible and should only be brought back as a kitsch joke. Don't fool yourself into liking them.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The thing I love the most about the way the Bucs are doing this, incidentally, isn't just in the uniforms but in the marketing. Someone made a very conscious decision to, for their late-70's era uniform promo shots, to use late-70's/early-80's style promo shot framing, posing, layout, and design.

Like, seriously, look at this poo poo! Immaculate. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me they were using vintage cameras instead of modern digital ones too. This is a level above and beyond just reusing the colors and design.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I like how all the players look like they would on those cards or whatever too. Like that one of Godwin is obviously a staged pose where they’re like “look over there” and he’s not actually running.

Or maybe I’m just so used to seeing cards be from in-game shots these days.

Either way yeah agreed they’re great

Bert Kreischer did a thing with the Bucs lately and met with 50-year old Mike Alstott and Mike needs to suit up god drat man

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

GD_American posted:

Much like the terrible wave of 70s nostalgia that hit during the 90s, I have to ask you loving people if you are incapable of recognizing old things that are ugly.

The day-glo uniforms were terrible and should only be brought back as a kitsch joke. Don't fool yourself into liking them.

This is the correct opinion.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

Good or bad?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Extremely good

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Only madmen and fools find no joy in Tequila Sunrise

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
They’re ugly as hell but the irony is what makes them good. I think I’ve cracked the code

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
What makes it good is that they completely commit to the bit.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/_jillbeckman/status/1679538978523865105?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

70s design is good, modern graphic design has destroyed everything

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Silly Burrito posted:

Good or bad?

there are only two bad baseball uniforms:
1: the episode in Seinfeld where George changed the Yankee's uniforms from polyester to cotton, and then after one great game of free breathing fabric they washed the uniforms and the uniforms shrunk and then the Yankees lost because they couldn't move in the too tight uniforms.

2: Chicago White Sox, with the shorts.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Nice article from the Athletic about the upcoming year for the NFC South:

https://theathletic.com/4690652/2023/07/15/nfc-south-buccaneers-falcons-panthers-saints-biggest-concerns/

In what most would say is a very competitively balanced division, it’s a struggle for me to project a deep playoff run for any NFC South squad in 2023. No team posted a winning record in 2022. Accomplishing that this year probably makes any one of them a lock for the playoffs. The issues that would be keeping me awake at night are all over the board, but they are more long term and less about Band-Aids for 2023.

I say this often: Team building is more philosophical than just picking players, and the pace each team uses to re-tool is based on cap space and the level of aggressiveness/confidence carried by its decision-makers. In this division, each team’s front office has been in place long enough for us to identify some patterns. Let’s see where that leaves us.

Here is how I see each team, listed in predicted order of finish based on where they stand today. My prior analysis: AFC South, NFC North, AFC North, NFC East and AFC East.

New Orleans Saints

The most complete team in the division, for my money, is the Saints. They are always aggressive, they have always been ahead of most in mapping out deals to acquire players, and therefore the expectations are always high with this team. I love the fact that they will roll the dice, will be in the middle of every deal and are not afraid to have convictions for their evaluations. Sure, they kick the can down the road year after year with their salary cap, but they compete for a division championship every year as well.

The deal-making acumen they used to acquire quarterback Derek Carr was a prime example of how they play chess when many others are playing checkers. Forget whether Carr is good enough. We’ll cover that in a minute. The Saints played the rules, the situation, the timing and — oh yeah, the Raiders — all to their advantage. They scheduled a visit with permission from the Raiders, kicking the tires like they were interested in a trade. They checked all the pre-trade boxes including medical, personality and fit, etc. And they used Carr’s no-trade clause to their advantage by knowing it would leave the Raiders with no choice but to release him.

Why would he agree to a trade that would force his future employer to give up anything and weaken his new team? All he had to do was hold tight, and he could walk out the door (because of a triggering point in his contract that made it impossible for the Raiders to keep him). Once that happened, he signed with the Saints as a free agent and the Raiders got zilch. I thought the Saints played their hand perfectly.

Carr’s history as a quarterback is up for some debate, but I think he gives the Saints a chance at their best QB play since Drew Brees retired. It also reflects their win-now philosophy instead of developing a young and inexperienced option. I think Carr also gives the Saints the highest level of achievement paired with NFL acumen at QB within this division for 2023. I’m not saying he’s the best option for the next six or seven years, but I would surely sign up to take him for the next three or four based on where the rest of this roster, coaching staff and front office are on the urgency meter to win now.

I worry less about this team because it has skins on the wall when it comes to roster construction that only Tampa Bay can match within the division. The Saints’ main goal since the departure of head coach Sean Payton was to minimize change (hired Dennis Allen from within their staff) and continue to strategically add a player or two via free agency but mainly improve the quality of the roster through the draft, which they have done.

They spent money this offseason on 27-year-old defensive lineman Khalen Saunders from the Chiefs and in the first round drafted Clemson’s Bryan Bresee, who I thought was one of the most versatile defensive linemen in this year’s class.

I trust this defense the most of any unit in the NFC South. The Saints are unique in that they play a lot of man coverage (fourth most in the NFL, per TruMedia), they pressure the opposing QB (fifth in the league in 2022 with 48 sacks) but they do it without blitzing. You have to have a really good front to get away with this, and the Saints have prioritized building that.

My biggest worry for this team is its perimeter weapons on offense. Chris Olave is the Saints’ most complete receiver, and he’s a good player. But Michael Thomas is not the Michael Thomas of pre-pandemic times. The company line has been that he’s back and ready to roll. I didn’t see that last year, and I’m not sure we will this year. I also can’t buy James Washington (broken foot in 2022) and Bryan Edwards (three catches in ’22) being the answers. Somehow the Saints have to come up with better options to give Carr a chance.

Running back Alvin Kamara settling his case and now just waiting for the NFL response is a good thing. Of course, I might lose some sleep while waiting for that ruling to come down. Any time missed will be aided by the signing of former Packers and Lions RB Jamaal Williams. I think the ball will always come out quickly in a Pete Carmichael offense, and Carr will make sure of this. Carr will face less pass-rush pressure here than in any of his Raider days. But the Saints have to find a way to score without driving the ball for 10 plays. A lack of speed and perimeter playmaking is a recurring nightmare if I’m a Saints decision-maker, but I do think they are the class of this division in 2023.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The line of delineation for the next three teams within this division is gray, at best. But I feel like the Bucs, without Tom Brady, have fallen off the face of the earth. Has there ever been a team that went from winning a Super Bowl two short years ago to fighting for relevance within its own division this fast? OK, let’s leave the Rams out of this.

Let’s start with the reality that Tampa was somewhat limited by salary cap issues they knew would come due (such as $35 million in the wake of Tom Brady’s retirement). Releasing running back Leonard Fournette ($5 million) and several others totaling $75 million in dead money … yikes. Nothing like biting the bullet for 2023.

If I thought the Saints defense was the most trusted unit in the division, well, the Bucs defense is the second easiest to trust. This defense will have to sustain them. Overall they ranked in the top half of the league in most relevant defensive categories last season and were top 10 in sacks and getting off the field on third downs.

I like GM Jason Licht’s philosophy of drafting BIG with his top three picks this year — two front-seven players on defense and an offensive tackle. Add free-agent acquisition Greg Gaines from the Rams at defensive tackle, and this group has gotten a nice makeover on a limited budget.

Also, it’s Year 2 under head coach Todd Bowles, and roles should be defined more clearly after the awkward departure of Bruce Arians last offseason.

On offense, I struggle with which Baker Mayfield, on his fourth team after rising from walk-on to being the first pick in the 2018 draft, they will get. I have less faith in Kyle Trask, his presumed backup, than most. The Bucs’ inexperience at running back and lack of depth among perimeter options leave me with more questions than answers for this offense, but I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt as the division winner from 2022, even if it was with an 8-9 record.

At least they have that Super Bowl trophy to shine up if all else fails.

Carolina Panthers

The headliner here is obviously the No. 1 pick in this year’s draft, QB Bryce Young. His size, athletic ability and skill set have all been discussed ad nauseam. I get it, he’s tiny. But the Panthers picked him and he is their guy for the foreseeable future, so my worry is not him. At this point, the concern is, based on those characteristics, how do we build around him?

One factor to be aware of is that when the New Orleans Saints were in their heyday with Brees at the helm, his size and vision made them very aware of the type of offensive line they had to construct in front of him. I’ll be very curious if this topic has or will come up with the Panthers.

Young measured almost three inches shorter than Brees, but with Brees and the Saints, the interior positions of center and guard and the skill set of these players had to be different from the norm. I remember having this discussion with Saints brass. Brees’ interior blockers had to be really stout, couldn’t get knocked back and ideally couldn’t stand more than 6-foot-4. Vision for a shorter QB is exacerbated versus push/pressure from the middle of a formation.

But center Bradley Bozeman, signed by Carolina from Baltimore, is 6-5, and the two presumed starters at offensive guard are also tall. Brady Christensen, a 6-6 offensive tackle at BYU before being a third-round pick in 2021, and 6-foot-4 5/8-inch Austin Corbett, signed from the Rams, may be somewhat problematic just based on height, pad level and the challenge to not get knocked into the QB’s lap. Just something to keep an eye on.

Head coach Frank Reich has a reputation for being a QB guru. This rep had to take a bit of a hit with the recent failed experiences in Indy under his offensive direction. The Colts had one of the best offensive lines in the league, maybe the best running back and adequate wide receivers, but the choices they made at QB were questionable. Why is that relevant? Reich is going to have lesser at all these spots in Carolina until Young is ready for prime time.

The Panthers defense has some individual parts that are really good, but as a group, they have to be better. In 2022, they were 20th in scoring defense, 23rd in getting off the field on third downs and they forced only 17 turnovers. A healthy Jaycee Horn should allow them to be more aggressive up front, but I just worry this group doesn’t have enough difference-makers at this point. Trust me, I know how hard they are to find, but pressuring the QB (25th with 35 sacks in 2022) through some more aggressive man coverage (they ranked 25th in the amount of man coverage they played in ’22) would help.

I worry, and I’m sure Carolina decision-makers do too, that all these moving parts coming together might take some time, which is fine. Let’s just pump the brakes on Young being the savior for 2023.

Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons enter Year 3 of their current régime of team building and decision-making. Having been in cap jail for the first two years from previous leadership decisions, it has been hard to hold them accountable for results in 2021 and 2022. This season should be different. It’s not like they are flush with cap space — $9.9 million for the rest of this year according to Over The Cap and $37 million available for 2024 — but at least they can get in the game.

Here is where their team-building philosophy gets a bit blurry for me. They have drafted a tight end, a possession wide receiver and a running back in the first rounds so far. They re-signed guard Chris Lindstrom (approximately $20 million a year). They paid big money ($15 million a year) for a safety, Jessie Bates, from the Bengals. That is a substantial investment in what I’d consider meat and potatoes players. Good players, don’t get me wrong. But difference makers? Eh.

Thus, my worry is this: Do they have enough bells and whistles at premium positions and game-changing spots? When picking high in the first round in any draft, some teams’ goals are either big guys (tackles or defensive linemen) or fast guys who force teams to either defend you differently (perimeter speed) or allow you to get to the passer on defense. Grinding out touchdowns with RPOs and play-action passes only has so much shelf life.

Bijan Robinson is a weapon, so I’ll give them that one. I think he makes you better, especially in this offense. But I need to see more than tight ends being the focal point of a team’s passing game.

Quarterback Desmond Ridder is at best a work in progress for me. I saw in his four games last year the same things I saw in college at Cincinnati: an inconsistent processor of defenses and a lack of accuracy from the pocket. I’m going to leave this one alone and see how his development goes.

And we haven’t even spoken about the defense yet. A new defensive coordinator and scheme should help, but this team was 31st in getting off the field on third downs (only the Bears were worse), 31st in sacks (21) and gave up almost 23 points per game (23rd). Those all are points to improve on.

I’m not sure the Falcons have enough good players yet on either side of the ball. We all need to tell ourselves this is Year 1 of a retool for this front office and staff and to have some patience. Playing in the NFC South helps their cause.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah I can't really argue with any of those points. Other than the author kind of handwaves away the changes in the Panthers coaching staff by saying that Frank Reich had a better offensive line and outside receivers and couldn't produce with Carson Wentz and the ghost of Matt Ryan during his time in Indy. The offensive line was better in 2021, not last year and the outside receivers were injured in Indy quite a bit. So I don't know that it's really fair to say - oh we should be concerned with Reich being in charge because of two bad years. I think the troubles indy had post Reich with appointing Jeff Saturday as head coach and severely struggling to attract candidates kind of speaks volumes. Carolina arguably had good front office and decent roster with a horrendous coaching staff. Indy had good coaching staff with a decent roster and terrible front office and we know you need all three to compete.

I would also add that a lack of difference makers on defense for Carolina can be put as much down to scheme and philosophy as anything else under Rhule who was running some dinky college system. All of that has changed in Carolina where they have probably one of the best defensive coordinators in the league at the helm now which will maximise the talent they do have, rather than hindering it.

While I don't think Reich and Young with a couple of additional free agents automatically makes Carolina some football juggernaut, when you look at the teams on-field product last year. The Browns, Giants, and Falcons games all stand out as examples last year where there was just some boneheaded coaching decisions and calls late in the game that barely competent NFL coaches wouldn't make. You add in that Baker Mayfield and PJ Walker were under center and we traded away CMC mid season transforming the offense - you kind of have a recipe for failure.

I'll freely admit that while Young hasn't shown poo poo yet at the NFL level - I think it's fair to assume he'd be an upgrade in those late situations requiring a smart decision under center and I don't think its unfair to Rhule to assume that Reich is better at not completely going to loving water with the game on the line.

My expectation for next year is a three game swing. Which year on year is a 10 and 7 record and probably has Carolina at least sniffing a wild card spot if not the division depending on how the Saints perform which would quite literally take, not missing a wide open receiver, not missing a field goal and not dropping Brian Burns into coverage on obvious passing downs.

We'll know a little more when camp opens and the full scheme is a little more apparent, but there's already a lot of talk about how they're going to run the offense and defense and it seems like a much more positive direction for the organisation. The team's a little short on depth and like I said - I'm not expecting big things, but there is a case for a little more optimism.

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Makes for a nice read, but I’m not buying the “stable means good” part for NO coaching. Some very bad calls and gimmick plays cost us a lot last year, hope Allen just finds his footing.

With Kamaras suspension still up in the air we’re losing one of our stable threaths, Carr will have to do a whole lot more with an offense he’s not 100% used to yet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ripperljohn posted:

Makes for a nice read, but I’m not buying the “stable means good” part for NO coaching. Some very bad calls and gimmick plays cost us a lot last year, hope Allen just finds his footing.

With Kamaras suspension still up in the air we’re losing one of our stable threaths, Carr will have to do a whole lot more with an offense he’s not 100% used to yet.

Honestly, if DA is just more aggressive, that would be an improvement for me. Dude wimped out on some calls that bit him in the rear end later.

I’m not so worried about Carr. I don’t think he’ll be Breesian but if he’s better than the five starting QBs we’ve had in the last two years, great. He will have a plethora of weapons on offense, now it’s just up in the air whether the offensive line can stay healthy. If they do and Carr has time to let the play develop, he’ll be fine.

If I had to bet, I’ll bet Kamara gets a 2 or 3 game suspension. We’ve got options other than Kamara in the run game, so it won’t be optimal but not as worrisome.

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

6 games was the expectation before the plea deal iir, he's also setteld in civil court, so we might get lucky.

Waiting for Brett to cover the NFCS to get a better feel, season still feels so far away :smith:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Honestly, if DA is just more aggressive, that would be an improvement for me. Dude wimped out on some calls that bit him in the rear end later.

He won't. Like Todd Bowles he's a coward rear end conservative defensive coach.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

wandler20 posted:

He won't. Like Todd Bowles he's a coward rear end conservative defensive coach.

I would think if the Saints were going to see a change from him, it would've been last year when he finally got another HC gig after the Oakland one so long ago.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ripperljohn posted:

I think when compared to the rest of the south the saints coaching staff is a bonus. I don’t necessarily think the saints will be good, but good enough to take the division.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Are the Falcons just a big question mark? I'd been pleased by what I hear from Falcoholic and other sites. That article has them at the bottom of the division, though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pershing posted:

Are the Falcons just a big question mark? I'd been pleased by what I hear from Falcoholic and other sites. That article has them at the bottom of the division, though.

Difficult to look at the falcons and tell what their plan is, short or long term, especially on offense.

Gonna…run the ball a lot? Someone is gonna throw playaction to Kyle pitts?

Also jarretts contract has an out after this year and I would be surprised if he doesn’t get traded.

Kinda feels like they’re just….there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ozymandius1024 posted:

I would think if the Saints were going to see a change from him, it would've been last year when he finally got another HC gig after the Oakland one so long ago.

I know preseason talk is all unicorn farts and rainbows, but supposedly last year he really wanted to keep the same vibe in camp in a “if it ain’t broke” type of matter. Well that failed, so this year he’s basically doing things his way. Bullshit or true, I guess we will see when camp starts.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
It feels good as a Panthers fan to have the only good QB in the division now. We'll probably see the next decade or so of the NFC South be how the Patriots in the AFC East with Brady were.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Feels like a stretch to call a rookie QB who has never taken a snap in the NFL the only good QB

Unless you mean &e, which ok fair

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

Feels like a stretch to call a rookie QB who has never taken a snap in the NFL the only good QB

Unless you mean &e, which ok fair

Gotta agree, all hail Andey

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Silly Burrito posted:

I know preseason talk is all unicorn farts and rainbows, but supposedly last year he really wanted to keep the same vibe in camp in a “if it ain’t broke” type of matter. Well that failed, so this year he’s basically doing things his way. Bullshit or true, I guess we will see when camp starts.

Him doing things his way is what I’m afraid of

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I saw Jameis has been putting in the work. He looks good and I fully expect him to win the job over Carr.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Silly Burrito posted:

I mean, if that Panthers/Saints game at the end of the season wasn't a wakeup call, nothing will be. We played like rear end and all it could have taken was one series where he wasn't a coward for y'all to have won it. I know it was a meaningless game, but I think ending the season 8-9 is a far cry better than 7-10

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Glorious:

https://twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1681333002914398209?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are we doing the FF league again so I can get rid of this av?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Are we doing the FF league again so I can get rid of this av?

You mean you don't want to proudly display it for 2 years like GD_American has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

You mean you don't want to proudly display it for 2 years like GD_American has?

No I was sad to lose my last one :(