Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Machikado Mazoku (The Demon Girl Next Door) got a second season!

The summary from MAL:

quote:

After a strange dream of a mysterious ancestor, high school student Yuuko Yoshida wakes to see that she has grown demonic horns and a tail. Dazed and confused, her mother reveals to her a dark family secret: her family is descended from a Dark Clan that was banished to live powerless and destitute by their mortal enemies, the magical girls of the Light Clan. The only way to lift their ancestry's curse is for Yuuko to find a magical girl, murder her, and splatter her blood all over her ancestor's Demon God statue.

Fortunately for "Shadow Mistress Yuuko," a magical girl saves her from being run over by an oncoming truck. Unfortunately, Momo Chiyoda happens to be Yuuko's classmate at Sakuragaoka High and is much stronger than her in both strength and endurance. Taking pity on her wimpy assailant, the magical girl agrees to train Yuuko and help her unlock her dormant powers. Now, Yuuko must rise up and defeat her generous frenemy to save her family from the terrible grip of poverty.

Season 1 thread (if you're an anime-only, be careful as manga spoilers start on page 4)
MyAnimeList page
English manga volumes via Seven Seas

Machikado Mazoku streams on HiDive Thursdays at 5:30 PM EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

First ep was a bit too rapid fire for me and I hope it calms down a bit but also yay!

Yeah the first ep was rough, but the schedule should ease up.

Ep 1 adapted chapters 27-29, plus an omake.
Ep 2 adapted chapters 30-31, plus had an small anime original scene.

There's a natural end point to the season at chapter 52, so with a 12 episode season, from here on out they'll probably do two chapters per episode, with one episode having to adapt three. Maybe the last ep will adapt 50, 51, and 52.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Fun episode.

lol

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Lilith, master of Darkness,

Also very scared of a nerd girl with a bindle

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is "cat jamboree" some kind of reference or is it just a funny phrase/idea?

The hiragana says "nekomatsuri" or "cat festival." I assume the translators are just punching it up a bit with the jamboree thing.

Momo just really loves cats (and has bad fashion sense).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This is the beginning of one of my favorite arcs in the manga so it's nice to see it animated.

The translators are having a decent go of adapting the puns and impossible cultural references. Like this one:

Sindai posted:

Part of that specificity is very concerning.

Here's how the manga fan translators did it:

Oh, we also got a Mikan transformation sequence, cool.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 29, 2022

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Some fanart of the new character

https://twitter.com/uitchu/status/1522965161920786432?s=20&t=j9b_vazWsgdVdD7ZpiCxhw

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Colorspray posted:

we're on episode 6 and that felt like a finale. There has to be more anime. ...right?

It was a finale! To volume 3 of the manga. There will be six more episodes this season, but the show is taking a break next week because of some golf tournament or something.

Anyway it was cool to see Sakura, given what she's done she's probably the most heroic character in the story.

Kind of a silly gag but it makes me smile that Lilith is STILL trying to make Mikan's hand-me-down dress work for her, even though it's clearly too big.

Darkness Peach is great! We even got a transformation sequence for it.

And, uh, Shamiko seems to be extremely impressed:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq98zR5IFDE

I did not realize it at first but Momo is appropriately chuuni near the end

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Lots of English this episode, took me by surprise

And Lico has invaded the interstitial. More work for Momo.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Super Jay Mann posted:

I always imagined Lico having a slightly harsh smug cadence in her voice but the flighty IDGAF thing they have going for her instead works just as well.

Yeah, I heard her in my head as more aggressive, and manager-san as more, I don't know, mind-mannered? But both VAs do a good job and it works well.

Omnicrom posted:

Same. I didn't really like her in the manga, but the way she's used in the anime makes a much stronger case for her, at least to me.

She grew on me. It isn't clear at this point in the manga whether she's just an rear end in a top hat or more of a well-meaning oblivious airhead, but we eventually see that while she's not entirely the latter she's mostly well-meaning. But with a trickster streak. There should be some fun troll fox moments coming up. And she will have some great scenes if we get a season 3...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
find yourself a girl who looks at you like momo does shamiko

troll fox always trolling

It was weird but the "let's check in with the other main cast girls!" at the end gave me a chuckle

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Numero6 posted:

Lico is just 2 sweeeet.

Good news! She brought enough drugs for everybody!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

also it is nice to see ogura run amok

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Shamiko is right to get excited, Darkness Peach (Katana form) is pretty cool.

Also I would like to join Momo's club, if my allergies permit it

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
plod plod

Seems that Shamiko's most versatile weapon is Staff of Snack Time