Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Originally forming in 1984 the Kids in the Hall is a Canadian comedy troupe consisting of Scott Thompson, Dave Foley, Mark McKinney, Kevin McDonald and Bruce McCulloch. They had a TV series running from 1989-1995 on CBC, HBO and Comedy Central. There was a movie in 1996, Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy, before breaking up for a number of years. They reunited in the 00s to do some tours and specials before making a miniseries for the CBC titled Death Comes to Town in 2010. In May 2020 Amazon announced an 8 episode revival and after a pandemic delay it now has a release date of May 13th. The series is currently available on Amazon Prime and they just rereleased Brain Candy on bluray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm2rAjmH_JQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGVpj6kUZLM

Kids in the Hall was one of my favorite comedy shows growing up and it definitely influenced my sense of humor. I was lucky enough to actually get to see Brain Candy in theaters during its short run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll never forget that most important life lesson: always put salt in your eyes.

KitH was on Comedy Central constantly in the mid- to late-90s, I've probably seen every episode four or five times.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I really hope this revival is funny. The original series was the perfect poo poo for weird teenage me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Show's back. Now with graphic full frontal nudity!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I watched the first episode and it's really fuckin good.

They haven't lost their touch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/PrimeVideoCA/status/1524373922921254912

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is going to be very difficult to not just binge watch the entire season but right now I've stopped at episode 2.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

zoux posted:

I'll never forget that most important life lesson: always put salt in your eyes.

it's actually 'cocaine, but only if it's offered.' it's a great rule for pretty much everything in life.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I saw the restaurant sketch last night and got this sense that the season is just going to be slightly underwhelming. The original series is the Gold Standard of Comedy to me and while I was surprised and pleased to see one of my favourite sketches (Dipping Areas) nodded to, it didn't land for me as a preview and gave me a mild sense of dread for the rest of the season.

Just threw on the first episode and I feel better immediately. Its magnificent, and on rewatch the restaurant sketch is funnier and has a very strong improv feel, which sort of felt weird at first but just reminds me how well they move together.

All the nostalgia so far has hit well, as with the Toronto references. I absolutely love that they re-shot the super 8 title sequence with the band and presumably some of the same people as the original, it's giving me major feels. And the little things, like how 'Don's' boardroom hasn't changed since Brain Candy, complete with the crooked skyline photo that still looks like 1995 downtown Toronto.

Their new stuff is great too, has me in stitches. They've still got it. And Bellini looks great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I've watched two episodes so far.

-I had lowered expectations so I didn't expect to scuffle laugh out loud much, but I did
-for some reason I didn't expect the original credits being redone. It got me good.
-Absolutely did not expect two of them to get their dick and balls out right away

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

So glad Canada and Dave Foley resolved their differences so we could have this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I feel like it's very clear that amazon told them there weren't any content restrictions and they responded by accepting that challenge.

Watched the first two episodes. They've still got it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I haven't laughed that much in a while. like, only being able to understand referential humor I guess I can only laugh at stuff that references stuff I used to find funny

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another thing that's tripping me out is hearing Mark McKinney's regular voice again. He practically lived in that character on Superstore for a bit there.

As an aside, I have a sneaking suspicion that that's Mark's Jordan Peterson impression. He's already got a perfect Lorne, and that's not far off. Picture him doing the 'Preacher Character' monologue in a Jorp voice instead and that's basically one of that fool's lecture videos.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
"Come out with your hands on your own heads!"
The clothes got away too.

I was expecting a lot worse but this is classic and I'm trying not to binge it all.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Watched the first four episodes last night, and it's great. The post apocalyptic radio DJ bits were amazing. Dave's ability to look incredibly sad is off the charts.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
This is pretty great so far.

Related note: Don't sleep on watching Last One Laughing: Canada. Dave is on it as is Colin Mocherie, Tom Green, Squirrely Dan and some others

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That was a CLASSIC Kevin McDonald sketch

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I realize nothing will ever be as funny as it seemed when I was 13 and I'm one of the maybe three people who actually liked Death Comes to Town so I went in optimistic and holy poo poo I was not let down. I kept saying "Okay, just one more" until I was at the end before I knew it.

It seems like Mark's more prominent than he was back in the day, which makes sense because he's landed a steady stream of regular roles over the years. It's paid off, I never realized how ridiculously talented the guy is. I may be moving on from my edgy teenage Bruce self to Team Mark.

also lol that they proved the Cathies' sketch claim that the cute do not age well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

an owls casket posted:

Watched the first four episodes last night, and it's great. The post apocalyptic radio DJ bits were amazing. Dave's ability to look incredibly sad is off the charts.

Dave is the star for me so far. The baby drop bit was gold.

bunnyofdoom posted:

This is pretty great so far.

Related note: Don't sleep on watching Last One Laughing: Canada. Dave is on it as is Colin Mocherie, Tom Green, Squirrely Dan and some others

Watched this with my gf and we both loved it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dave is the star for me so far. The baby drop bit was gold.

I'd always thought of Dave as the star before now but this season feels more like an ensemble of equals than they did before.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
holy gently caress it's so good so far

I never would've guessed that of all things they'd revive the restaurant sketch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of weird to see them with actual budget for things like sets and cinematography.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol at the "Kevin McDonald sketch" sketch.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
that was a tasty looking pie

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Lol at the "Kevin McDonald sketch" sketch.

One of my favorite lines of the whole series was Kevin's response to Dave saying "I can't do a southern accent!" - "I KNOW!"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Watched the first episode and it felt hacky. I think you should leave blows it away

- the best sketch idea was the getting naked one but they barely played it out

- But even then cops (other macho figures) being emotionally open with each other or hugging I've seen a million times

- Triggered and Audio Aggressions (?) in our year of the lord 2022

- Old poo poo is old was the dominant comedic observation

- Oh wow a death drive over reaction to a slight annoyance sketch

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

fez_machine posted:

Watched the first episode and it felt hacky. I think you should leave blows it away

- But even then cops (other macho figures) being emotionally open with each other or hugging I've seen a million times

:goonsay:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Sorry I just watched the second episode and it's just not for me

I could swear I saw the imaginary girlfriend sketch done as an Always Sunny b-plot

loved the original series and Slings and Arrows is one of my favourite t.v. series of all time but these guys are out of ideas and over the hill

Why was it always raining in half the scenes anyway?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I was prepared for them to all be old but I wasn’t prepared for Bruce to look exactly like Tim Conway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kevin works pretty well as a middle aged lady.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fez_machine posted:

It's interesting that you compare it to I Think You Should Leave because that was the comparison I thought of too, except I thought "holy poo poo, these dudes are sixty years old and should be dinosaurs, but those first two episodes were comparable with I Think You Should Leave, which is cutting edge poo poo." I mean, compare with other comedians from the 90's (Seinfeld?) and it's amazing these guys are still able to hit home runs at all, even if they don't knock it out of the park every time.

That said, most sketch shows have about 2/3rds poo poo and then a few bits of gold (ITYSL is no exception there). There's certainly a fair bit of "ehh, ok" in the first four episodes (all I've watched so far) but there's a lot of gold in there too. The Zoom Meeting sketch was one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That said, most sketch shows have about 2/3rds poo poo and then a few bits of gold (ITYSL is no exception there). There's certainly a fair bit of "ehh, ok" in the first four episodes (all I've watched so far) but there's a lot of gold in there too. The Zoom Meeting sketch was one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

That skit started out OK but as soon as Mark bares his whipped rear end, it just descended into madness. I assume everyone was improving at this point as well, especially Bruce.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jose Oquendo posted:

That skit started out OK but as soon as Mark bares his whipped rear end, it just descended into madness. I assume everyone was improving at this point as well, especially Bruce.

That's what made it great!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's my secret only I get to know is one of the best lines ever to come out of kith

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
NO, THE BEARD STAYS, YOU GO.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah episode 2 completely won me over.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Lost my mind at the Kevin MacDonald sketch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

Lost my mind at the Kevin MacDonald sketch.

Kevin's joy at being found out was quite the sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

“I can’t do a southern accent!”

“I KNOW!”