Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think Eggers has come out and said that one of his main goals in making this movie was to undercut the mythos of Viking culture as being heroic warriors full of martial virtue. White supremacists have done their best to coopt Norse iconography and this was Eggers basically giving those people the finger.

I think it makes the film richer by having Amleth compromised by these heinous acts. He is most certainly not a hero.

Yeah, it makes clear that he has gained martial prowess at the almost total cost of his humanity. That thin sliver of hope that he is not a total beast is shown when he doesn't partake in the massacre of the unarmed and shows some kinda-sorta disdain when the fisherman is shot earlier. It's not much. When he went back to the burned-out town hall, I was hoping he'd look for survivors or kneel and ruminate over their ashes but no, it's because he heard Björk' call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

This scene stuck with me the entire time I watched this movie and really took away enjoyment I may have had for it.

I had sort of the opposite reaction. The scene stuck with me the entire movie and vastly improved my enjoyment of it.

The scene firmly grounds Amleth and establishes him as a man of his circumstances. Everything Amleth does in the film is done on the backdrop of his participation in the raid. The viewer recognizes that Amleth’s journey bears no moral weight, which lends the film a sense of narrative purity. There is no good and bad here, no right and wrong. Amleth is a hero in the classical sense, but we are not asked to identify with him or to justify his terrorization of Fjölnir’s settlement.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

What bothers Amleth isn't killing and enslaving a whole village or murdering some foreigner just for the hell of it because those are normal things in his world. It's his responsibility for taking revenenge and not to run from his fate which weighs on him. I think his motivations are deliberately alien to the audience. It's not the romantic and heroic viking story we're used to but a whole different experience we can't really sympathize with at all.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As has been remarked by others, all of Eggers' films contend with the fact that people from different social contexts have totally alien moral frameworks from us, and their internal morality is completely subordinate to their material circumstances and upbringing.

Until pretty recently if you conquered a village it would be assumed that all the inhabitants automatically became your chattel to dispose of as you wished. The past is an alien country.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

One thing I noticed which it would be fun to read about if someone wanted to explore it is that both Amleth and Fjölnir talk about the other's evil and the necessity to extinguish it. I only watched the movie once but I distinctly remember the word evil being used that way.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Was wondering if all the night shots were shot with natural light, the stars looked real in most of those scenes. Is there any where I can read more about the cinematography?

Really great stuff if its all done in camera.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

toggle posted:

Was wondering if all the night shots were shot with natural light, the stars looked real in most of those scenes. Is there any where I can read more about the cinematography?

Really great stuff if its all done in camera.

There's an extensive technical writeup here:

https://ascmag.com/articles/the-northman

It's a bit of a difficult process to summarize, but the TL;DR is that most of the look was done via photochemical processes. For sequences that were entirely moonlit, they shot day-for-night using a filter that cuts out any color not on the green-cyan spectrum and then desaturated that to a near monochrome. It caused warm colors to become darker, as they appear to human eyes that are using only their rods, as at nighttime.

Sequences with firelight were more complicated. For those, they used HMIs with extremely low pass cyan filters for moonlight and also put a mid cyan filter on the camera lens. The result was that the cyan HMI light would pass through unaffected, but the firelight would be made more neutral. Then they printed everything on a pure red negative. So, the firelight would be warm but the rest of the set would be monochrome as the cyan light and red negative canceled each other out. Again, this is to emulate the way firelight appears to human eyes at night, because anything past a certain luminance threshold will register on your eye's cones which see color, but the rest will only be seen with your rods which only read in monochrome.

The last stage was a digital sky replacement. No way around that with cameras as they work today.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

There's an extensive technical writeup here:

https://ascmag.com/articles/the-northman

It's a bit of a difficult process to summarize, but the TL;DR is that most of the look was done via photochemical processes. For sequences that were entirely moonlit, they shot day-for-night using a filter that cuts out any color not on the green-cyan spectrum and then desaturated that to a near monochrome. It caused warm colors to become darker, as they appear to human eyes that are using only their rods, as at nighttime.

Sequences with firelight were more complicated. For those, they used HMIs with extremely low pass cyan filters for moonlight and also put a mid cyan filter on the camera lens. The result was that the cyan HMI light would pass through unaffected, but the firelight would be made more neutral. Then they printed everything on a pure red negative. So, the firelight would be warm but the rest of the set would be monochrome as the cyan light and red negative canceled each other out. Again, this is to emulate the way firelight appears to human eyes at night, because anything past a certain luminance threshold will register on your eye's cones which see color, but the rest will only be seen with your rods which only read in monochrome.

The last stage was a digital sky replacement. No way around that with cameras as they work today.

Wow, that’s awesome, thanks for the explanation. Here I was thinking they shot it all with natural light :laugh:

Has this technique been used before?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
A similar technique was used in Nope.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nope used a beam splitter (the kind typically used for 3D films) to record with two cameras, one of which was recording a conventional color positive while the other recorded an ultraviolet exposure. The luminance data of the latter digitally combined with the color data of the former in a process they haven’t been totally transparent about yet. They’ve said it required a lot of vfx work beyond the digital sky replacement (with they also did).

They’re rather different processes and they’re the first attempts for both. The Northman mostly uses traditional photography tools in novel ways, while Nope leveraged modern tech. They each had great final results which are a significant cut above standard night imagery in film.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I liked the bits where the grown men pretended they were dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Extra row of tits posted:

I liked the bits where the grown men pretended they were dogs.

You never know when a latent furry kink will reveal itself