Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The latest Robert Eggers epic, starring Alexander Skarsgård, Anya Taylor-Joy and Claes Bang, with supporting cast Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe and the swan lady herself, Björk. The film starts off with a young prince Amleth witnessing the death of his father and vows to become a bat revenge upon the usurper, his Uncle.

The film has already premiered here in Europe, but I'm given to understand that it has yet been released in the US, so be ye warned, here be spoilers

Now I can already see some of you clever clogs thinking "Hold on a second, Amleth? Young prince, uncle murdering the king? You can't fool me, this is just Hamlet with the serial number filed off" Wrong, you absolute fool. It's actually the other way around. Hamlet is actually based on the old scandinavian folktale of young Amleth seeking revenge for his fathers unjust slaying. Eggers himself called it "Viking Hamlet. Or as one studio executive said, ‘I love this Viking version of The Lion King.’"

If you can imagine the kind of Arthurian storytelling of The Green Knight applied to Viking Hamlet and add lots of blood, nudity and muscles, you've probably gotten a good idea of what The Northman is. I personally liked this film quite a bit, and I encourage you all to go see it, if nothing else to encourage studios to make more films that aren't generic action IPs filled with quips and bland action scenes.

So uh, have at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
The Witch is one of my favourite horror films of all time and I really like the lighthouse too, so was fairly excited for this. The trailer did not do overly much to me, although I liked them. Appeared too actiony for my taste, and the viking themes are some I dont enjoy much usually. But man, it ended up having all the classic Eggers traits I wanted, which the more trailers did not show that much of... and then some.

Really surprised to hear him suggest he didnt have full creative freedom. and other people/press call it tame/watered down when it comes to gore and so on. There was some pretty brutal stuff that made that got to the people in the cinema. The guts falling out, that sword through the nose, the whole village including kids getting burnt alive, the torture, killing his own mom/step brother, and hell, his own mom trying to seduce him.... And uhm, am I out of my mind, or did we see Anya Taylor Joys chinchilla when she showed she had her period?

Enjoyed every moment of it. Felt like a good fitting run time too. The only part I didnt love was the last 10 min or so.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Woodenlung posted:

The Witch is one of my favourite horror films of all time and I really like the lighthouse too, so was fairly excited for this. The trailer did not do overly much to me, although I liked them. Appeared too actiony for my taste, and the viking themes are some I dont enjoy much usually. But man, it ended up having all the classic Eggers traits I wanted, which the more trailers did not show that much of... and then some.

Really surprised to hear him suggest he didnt have full creative freedom. and other people/press call it tame/watered down when it comes to gore and so on. There was some pretty brutal stuff that made that got to the people in the cinema. The guts falling out, that sword through the nose, the whole village including kids getting burnt alive, the torture, killing his own mom/step brother, and hell, his own mom trying to seduce him.... And uhm, am I out of my mind, or did we see Anya Taylor Joys chinchilla when she showed she had her period?

Enjoyed every moment of it. Felt like a good fitting run time too. The only part I didnt love was the last 10 min or so.

You are not out of your mind, she bitchslapped him with her period blood. Guess you can call that a period piece :v:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally watched both the Witch and Lighthouse. I’m ready and excited to hear that the 90 million movie still feels like his weird style/taste.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

checkplease posted:

Finally watched both the Witch and Lighthouse. I’m ready and excited to hear that the 90 million movie still feels like his weird style/taste.

When the film was over, a lady one row back said to her boyfriend "yepp, this was an Eggers film alright"

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I think at my showing, there was a lot of people who didnt quite realize what it was going to be. Which judging from the trailer, I can kind of understand. Especially the young couple who brought one of theirs mothers seemed to be a bit confused, but they all sat through the whole thing.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched the Lighthouse again last night but with the Eggers commentary. Pretty interesting as he has some good stories and lots of technical insights. Would have been nice if his dp was with him though.

Other thoughts:
Lighthouse really needs a 4K release.
Crazy that he got such a large budget for the Northman after these two excellent but niche films.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Eggers agrees with you, and was willing to give up final cut to get it.

Robert Eggers posted:

Well, OK. I knew when I gave the script to the studio that I was not going to have final cut on this movie. And that was a risk I was willing to take. The studio took a big risk on letting somebody made two sensationalist arthouse movies to make a big loving Viking movie single-camera with all of his heads of departments. Frankly, our resumes did not warrant us making this movie, and they let us do it, which is amazing. I promised them the most entertaining Robert Eggers movie I could make.

I’m not saying this is a perfect movie, but at least I can say I stand behind my choices, because I had to consider all of them so carefully.

From this interview, which has some really interesting information on the process.

I saw it a matinee. Absolutely loved it. It had the occasional Dark Soulsian vibe that I was not expecting, but in retrospect seems kinda obvious. In a way it also has that feeling of Apocalypto, you're just on a roller coaster. There are peaks and valleys, but it's not stopping.

Cataffy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 20, 2022

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
So pumped for this

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Just saw this movie, it loving ruled

I haven't seen eggers other two movies but I'm gonna watch the lighthouse asap

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Also just from the theatre - movie's great.
Was nodding along with every decision.

Really liked how tight and simple in terms of interpretations and symbolism Eggers' movie's are. I can just sit back and enjoy what's on screen

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Did he use an authentic dialect for all the dialogue? I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy an Eggers movie if I can understand everything that's being said. :v:

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

1stGear posted:

Did he use an authentic dialect for all the dialogue? I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy an Eggers movie if I can understand everything that's being said. :v:

Nah, people speak English with dialects used for a few scenes where its appropriate. Its a very easy to watch movie.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Saw this tonight with a live interview with Skarsgård after. I thought it was good, but not great. My least favorite of the directors 3. It felt like someone combined The Revenant & The Green Knight, but it had more qualities of the former.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 22, 2022

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I'm a fan of The VVitch and The Lighthouse but this poo poo was not my jam. It's the kind of cringe macho nonsense I'd expect from a wannabe throwback exploitation filmmaker; in the same vein as Bone Tomahawk. Eggers seemed like his batshit psychological magicka was what was going to seperate him from the pack and become the thinking person's genre hound now he's distancing himself from his debut feature and embracing vapid geek projects - I was so disappointed in him here. Does "authenticity" really loving matter that much? In a world where colour-blind casting has produced such amazing performances as Dev Patel in The Green Knight, Batman 2022 was vaping instead of crafting cringe abs and one neat trick modern filmmakers have picked up in the last decade or so for women characters is they are a little more than incubators. Who out there is actually interested that the "longboats used in the film have nails made in the nordic tradition"? Probably the same kind of people who think big budget vikings should stay white, as if it matters.

The guest spooks by Willem and Bjork were just short sharp reminders this story didn't have the fun pizazz and intelligence that has served Eggers previous two movies so well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like that he’s a huge nerd about historically accurate jacket buttons and nails and poo poo

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

RobbZombae posted:

Does "authenticity" really loving matter that much?

Does it detract from the film?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Spermando posted:

Does it detract from the film?

Reading the positive reviews it seems like it's the only thing the film actually has going for it.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
...here we go, 10 page fight about toxic masculinity

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RobbZombae posted:

Reading the positive reviews it seems like it's the only thing the film actually has going for it.
Wait, is this to say that you haven't actually seen the movie?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 22, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just got out of it, so gotta sort my thoughts still but this was insane and as good as his other films. The Viking setting feels so foreign but real like he has done with colonial times or sailors. The action was all brutal and shot clearly with the raid scene reminding me of the revenant. The film definitely questions the whole quest for vengeance with all the child murder and culture of slavery. it’s a culture of violence starting from their central religion that scars each generation.

There was definitely little if any studio interference. Eggers was not afraid to do weird dreams or drugs chants for extended periods.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Mordja posted:

Wait, is this to say that you haven't actually seen the movie?

No I've seen it there's just no upside to it other than the geek high production wank.

Quick quiz only real fans of Robert Eggers and The Northman will know the answer to:

If you create a scene where two naked men fight to the death inside a volcano (see that sentence trend on twitter, great cool exposure!) how do you also avoid making the studios unhappy?
Answer: Light the exploding lava cave as if it's darker than inside satan's arsehole. You can saaaay you have the scene but not actually show anything! Neat.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I dunno, maybe your theater was lower quality? That fight looked great to me, was clear and atmospheric. Saw it on the amc Dolby cinema which I guess is supposed to be higher def at least.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
You seem to be angry at the movie for not living up to your dogmatic expectations of what it should have been instead of engaging with it on its own merits.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

RobbZombae posted:

No I've seen it there's just no upside to it other than the geek high production wank.

Quick quiz only real fans of Robert Eggers and The Northman will know the answer to:

If you create a scene where two naked men fight to the death inside a volcano (see that sentence trend on twitter, great cool exposure!) how do you also avoid making the studios unhappy?
Answer: Light the exploding lava cave as if it's darker than inside satan's arsehole. You can saaaay you have the scene but not actually show anything! Neat.

That scene looked perfectly fine and I was able to see everything perfectly, sorry about your bad theater I guess. In the future, you can forego such embarrassment by asking if anyone else had the same issues first.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

You saw the dongs twitter promised, huh?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

RobbZombae posted:

You saw the dongs twitter promised, huh?
I had no expectation for such a thing because I don't hinge my expectations on movies on what social media lunatics post. I've numbed myself to that after too many instances of being told something is queer as hell and then it's one scene of two men sharing a quick smirking glance. I can only be betrayed so many times.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

I had no expectation for such a thing because I don't hinge my expectations on movies on what social media lunatics post. I've numbed myself to that after too many instances of being told something is queer as hell and then it's one scene of two men sharing a quick smirking glance. I can only be betrayed so many times.

:arghfist: :(

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I will concede the point. If you wanted swinging, sweaty full front dong. You might be disappointed. Otherwise it’s a good watch.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Monglo posted:

...here we go, 10 page fight about toxic masculinity

I mean it's a revenge story, so that kinda comes with the territory.

Monglo posted:

You seem to be angry at the movie for not living up to your dogmatic expectations of what it should have been instead of engaging with it on its own merits.

It's def a bit weird to complain about the lack of poc when the previous 2 were super white. Like sure, judge by some standard of representation (or tokenism) but at least be consistent with it!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

It's def a bit weird to complain about the lack of poc when the previous 2 were super white. Like sure, judge by some standard of representation (or tokenism) but at least be consistent with it!

The VVitch was a while ago (also at least had a fun female character arc) and The Lighthouse had two actors in it. Not weird.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah, exactly - its what its about. The only slight criticism that could be made, I think, is that it made the brutality and violence "look cool". But otherwise, the movie is as open as it can be about condemning them and everything that is usually described as toxic masculinity.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Monglo posted:

Yeah, exactly - its what its about. The only slight criticism that could be made, I think, is that it made the brutality and violence "look cool". But otherwise, the movie is as open as it can be about condemning them and everything that is usually described as toxic masculinity.

Can it be a revenge story that makes violence look cool and a condemnation of toxic masculinity at the same time? The film literally ends with the lead ascending to heaven.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

RobbZombae posted:

Can it be a revenge story that makes violence look cool and a condemnation of toxic masculinity at the same time? The film literally ends with the lead ascending to heaven.

Depiction is not endorsement

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

Depiction is not endorsement

Where is the nuance?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

RobbZombae posted:

Can it be a revenge story that makes violence look cool and a condemnation of toxic masculinity at the same time?

For me, the big part of the narrative was the dichotomy of how a person living with the ideals of that time perceived their actions and the world around them, and how the audience views them portrayed on-screen. There were multiple scenes were these versions are juxtaposed, like the fight with the undead warrior at the burial mound being the most extreme example. Amleth sees himself heroically battling the undead creature, where we would say he just robbed a grave.

Its a crucial part in the character's story - the conflict of his brutal upbringing and traditions with his inner humanity that he shares with us, that Amleth occasionally gets reminded of but, tragically, fails to follow in the end. And the movie is clear about which of those parts is the good one.

I believe they are referred to as "Love" and "Hate" in the movie. You cant be more clear than that.

Monglo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 22, 2022

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Monglo posted:

For me, the big part of the narrative was the dichotomy of how a person living with the ideals of that time perceived their actions and the world around them, and how the audience views them portrayed on-screen. There were multiple scenes were these versions are juxtaposed, like the fight with the undead warrior at the burial mound being the most extreme example. Amleth sees himself battling the undead creature, where we would say he just robbed a grave.

Its a crucial part in the character's story - the conflict of his brutal upbringing and traditions with his inner humanity that he shares with us, that Amleth occasionally gets reminded of but, tragically, fails to follow in the end. And the movie is clear about which of those parts is the good one.

In this scene Amleth clearly looks over and watches himself rob the grave after winning the cool fight, it's not just for audiences. Why that scene was there and then depicted as a dream or fantasy the character is aware of I haven't had too much thought on. Could be a simple plot where Amleth must win a battle in his mind before being rewarded a power-up or a scene that almost got deleted for straying from the mud and abs theme but got "it was all a dream"'d instead so they can have their cake and eat it, too.

As for your point about Amleth having beliefs and traditions, yes, he follows them to the death and is rewarded for it. Where was the conflict? The murder of his mother and half-brother are not depicted in a way that would wholly turn audiences against him and his goal - his mother morphs into a strange sexist archetype trying to put her tongue down his throat and dies after stabbing him in the chest and the child stabbed him multiple times and was killed in a sort of accidental way where he was cut by his sword after being thrown off his shoulders. I didn't detect the nuance or intelligence in those deaths or a commentary on revenge, as Amleth lay dying he wasn't thinking of the regret of that but that his seed lives on in two angelic little blonde babies. Skeevy.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I dont know what to say, every statement you made is wrong and the exact opposite of what happened in the movie. IMO :)

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

RobbZombae posted:

As for your point about Amleth having beliefs and traditions, yes, he follows them to the death and is rewarded for it. Where was the conflict? The murder of his mother and half-brother are not depicted in a way that would wholly turn audiences against him and his goal - his mother morphs into a strange sexist archetype trying to put her tongue down his throat and dies after stabbing him in the chest and the child stabbed him multiple times and was killed in a sort of accidental way where he was cut by his sword after being thrown off his shoulders. I didn't detect the nuance or intelligence in those deaths or a commentary on revenge, as Amleth lay dying he wasn't thinking of the regret of that but that his seed lives on in two angelic little blonde babies. Skeevy..

Idk man, but I don’t really see what’s so “skeevy” about a guy’s dying thoughts being about the woman he loves and their children, especially when the whole reason he went back to kill Fjollnir had transformed from a quest to avenge his father to a quest to eliminate a threat to his loved ones. It sounds like you’re looking to find things to be problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Monglo posted:

I dont know what to say, every statement you made is wrong and the exact opposite of what happened in the movie. IMO :)

Doctor Faustine posted:

Idk man, but I don’t really see what’s so “skeevy” about a guy’s dying thoughts being about the woman he loves and their children, especially when the whole reason he went back to kill Fjollnir had transformed from a quest to avenge his father to a quest to eliminate a threat to his loved ones. It sounds like you’re looking to find things to be problematic.