Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

What are you folks talking about when you say you can clearly see the studio interference? A woman pulls out her genitals and rubs period blood all over a guys face, and you still think this movie was numbed or defanged by studio influence? Where?

The parts of the movie that felt incongruous to me all had to do with Amleth’s reluctance to cross certain moral lines. His behavior during the raid, his comment about not killing women, and killing his step brother in self defense all felt at odds with who he should have been as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

His posture is because he’s spent his life rowing longboats, it was to help symbolize his dehumanization as an instrument of war & pillage, I thought that detail really made the whole thing seem more authentic.

Nope. You tend to do this in every thread I see you post, where you speak like your interpretation is the only correct one, and shoot down all others as if you're the ultimate authority. Like your post here isn't exactly an invitation for a dialogue, so I just found this interview, just for you:

"Amleth carries himself like a beast. How did you create his animal-like walk? How did the physical transformation help you get into the psyche of this character?"

"I tried to revert back to something more primal, but it’s all in his warrior name: Bjorn Ulfur, which means bear-wolf. There’s this scene, the shamanic ritual that he goes through before the raid in which he sheds his humanity and becomes his spirit animal, the hybrid of a wolf and a bear. I felt that it was imperative to try to embody that and feel that in Amleth’s physique, which would be a bit more bear-like in his posture and the way he moves. You see it in his eyes as well. After he completes the ritual, the abandoned little boy who also exists within him is completely gone. He’s a predator."

https://time.com/6169996/alexander-skarsgard-the-northman-interview/

Besides which rowers don't have a rounded forward posture, if anything they have overdeveloped backs pulling their shoulders back, not forward.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that hunch forward look happens when you overemphasize pushing movements.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I enjoyed this movie. I did not love it. It created an itch that The Green Knight very much scratched and this one did not. Amleth's intermittent invincibility and his goofy-rear end gym bro hunch really took me out of it the most. He was absolutely unreasonably jacked to a distracting degree in a very movie-roids sort of way, which made the "ah these slaves are weak" moments extra goofy.

I think I just expected more to think about about after all the hype. I've never seen his other stuff so maybe I didn't know what to expect, or maybe it just wasn't super for me.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

The Kingfish posted:

The parts of the movie that felt incongruous to me all had to do with Amleth’s reluctance to cross certain moral lines. His behavior during the raid, his comment about not killing women, and killing his step brother in self defense all felt at odds with who he should have been as a character.

Some of this is history based. I linked a Reddit thread earlier where some historians discussed old Viking tales where they thought it was dishonorable to kill women. But it is the internet so it could just all be lies.

But I dont think it’s incongruous behavior so much as just some character complexity. People and religions always have these moral justifications (don’t kill civilized, or killing sinful). Plus it just adds to the tragedy. Like you can see there is a part of him that could lead a less savage life. These moral lines tie in with his chance to leave with Olga. But the anger wins out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Glottis posted:

I enjoyed this movie. I did not love it. It created an itch that The Green Knight very much scratched and this one did not. Amleth's intermittent invincibility and his goofy-rear end gym bro hunch really took me out of it the most. He was absolutely unreasonably jacked to a distracting degree in a very movie-roids sort of way, which made the "ah these slaves are weak" moments extra goofy.

I think I just expected more to think about about after all the hype. I've never seen his other stuff so maybe I didn't know what to expect, or maybe it just wasn't super for me.

Amleth is exactly the size the average man should be

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly have no clue how accurate anything in the movie is, and I’m not sure it matters.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nestharken posted:

Spoilers for The VVitch, just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet (you should!):
Eggers has mentioned in interviews before that the corn had a fungus known as ergot growing on it that can cause a bunch of health problems, including hallucinations. I haven't seen the movie in a minute, but I *think* the only supernatural thing that any of the main characters witness before the tainted corn is revealed is the baby being carried off right at the beginning by what looks like an invisible person, but that could also be a wolf or coyote parting the tall grass, IIRC.

I never bought that theory. Like 10 minutes into the movie we see The Witch putting a knife to the baby, making some ointment and then flying on a goddamn broom, with nobody else around witnessing it. The ergot and stuff is better for explaining why they're all at each other's throats but the witch(es) in that movie seem unambiguously real..

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Henchman of Santa posted:

I never bought that theory. Like 10 minutes into the movie we see The Witch putting a knife to the baby, making some ointment and then flying on a goddamn broom, with nobody else around witnessing it. The ergot and stuff is better for explaining why they're all at each other's throats but the witch(es) in that movie seem unambiguously real..

Hard agree. The core theme of all of Eggers' movies is that the supernatural is real, and it exists in tandem with the real. The physical and supernal are intertwined. The Devil is real, witches are real, they are hunting this family, and the threat is real. That is what drives the conflict through the movie. Otherwise the sense of danger is muted.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
It's 'out'. Rewatching right now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched tonight, this was so loving amazing. I loved it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=679oLpzZkGw
Pro-click.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just watched it. I rate it 3rd out of Egger's movies. There were a couple of times my mind wandered to other things. This did not happen with The Witch or The Lighthouse.

I think the pacing (?) was a bit off. Or maybe it just varied too much. I feel like the reveal from Nicole Kidman should have been more of a catalyst for something, and that the pacing should have changed from there. You know how in 28 Days Later there is a very dramatic change in tone and character once the main guy starts going Rambo around the house? That sort of thing.

But I enjoyed it very much and I really liked the melding of the myth and reality.

Also it was good to see Finchy back on screen.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Alexander Skarsgård can't really carry an entire movie on his shoulders but that aside I really enjoyed this simple story about culturally imposed self-destructive behaviour. Brutal, sad and imaginatively shot.

The nods to Slavic myth and folklore makes me hope that Eggers makes something based on that 'cause unlike Viking poo poo it's woefully unexplored in media.

Kinda nuts that a big studio pumped I don't know how many millions of dollars into this but I'm glad that they did.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
This was very good but not quite as good as Valhalla Rising in terms of trippy viking poo poo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

This was very good but not quite as good as Valhalla Rising in terms of trippy viking poo poo

Yeah this made me wanna rewatch Valhalla Rising.

Easy pick for Eggars' worst movie imo. People are too hooked on long take action scenes now, just give me some well-edited fight scenes! Best scene by far was when they played field hockey.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can confidentially say the pacing in this movie never flags, because every ten minutes or so something brutal or horrifying happens.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Memnaelar posted:

I feel like there's a drive to find subtext in this movie because Eggers couldn't possibly have written a movie this simple, this *just text*.

But I'm fairly certain he did. There's no hidden directorial meaning or intent. No subversion. Everything he meant to say he put right out there, just like Amleth or Olga or anyone else in the movie screaming into the wind.

And it was fine. But I feel like in five years people will still be talking about The Lighthouse and even the Witch, but there just won't be much Northman discourse because, at the end of the day, there's just not that much to talk about there.

There is no hidden space underneath/behind/above. Texts achieve meaning through the process of reading, which means it’s the responsibility of the reader to posit the hidden space in the text, and then be judged as such.

For example, rather than pity the characters in this film for conceding their own agency to some imaginary myths, we can instead question our own contemporary sense of agency — that is as free-willed beings who have outgrown dumb superstitions.

“Back in 2007, former Fed chair Alan Greenspan had been asked by the Zürich daily Tages-Anzeiger which candidate he was supporting in the upcoming presidential election. His response was striking. How he voted did not matter, Greenspan declared, because “(we) are fortunate that, thanks to globalization, policy decisions in the US have been largely replaced by global market forces. National security aside, it hardly makes any difference who will be the next president. The world is governed by market forces.”
- Adam Tooze

At least the characters in this film do not take their agency for granted.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Drug fueled Volcano duel for next presidency.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

How would this movie rate in terms of disturbing, graphic violence, using Game of Thrones as a median?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

This ruled. I'll be surprised if I see something I enjoy more this year.

It's been a while since I saw The Witch, so I'm unsure how I'd rank The Northman against it, but I did like it a lot more than The Lighthouse (Which I did enjoy, just less so). Love that there's a 360 world going on around the camera and how the depth of the frame is filled with poo poo going on. Scratches a very specific itch for me.

I'm kind of befuddled by the comparisons to The Green Knight, a movie I loved but that had utterly different ambitions, methods, and vibes. An Arthurian adaptation that goes hard on the fairy tale aspects but with a modern morality spin vs a stripped down Norse period piece showing the insanity of period "morality" with some flourishes of religion as the characters would have seen it. Aside from starting from old legends, there's not a lot tying them together. I don't feel like these films would be mentioned together if not for being released in consecutive years.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How would this movie rate in terms of disturbing, graphic violence, using Game of Thrones as a median?

There are a couple points with graphic violence but it's not a gore fest at all. The themes of madness and abject cruelty are the actual disturbing elements of the film, imo.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I would say that there's enough violence that if you're upset by that sort of thing, you should avoid this. Certainly, if GoT was difficult to watch, this will be as well. But it's not exploitation film levels of gore. More like the camera just never cuts away when someone gets stabbed or loses an appendage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s also a lot of desecrated corpses

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's not as big on the spurting blood as GoT (which got almost cartoonish in places) but it's still pretty grim.

One of the things that struck me while watching it is it's kind of a reverse horror movie. Amleth is coming back night after night to do horrible violence to a community of people who are pretty much all various shades of terrible (bar maybe the kid) but not actually responsible for the acts he's nominally seeking revenge for, while they're stuck flailing against an apparently supernatural force that they're unable to properly deal with. Only this time the monster is the protagonist and he essentially wins in the end.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IMO the most unsettling scene was after Amleth & his raiding party raid the small walled community in Rus, they lock all the children in a hut & set it on fire.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

This was very good but I see why people say they prefer his previous two films

The witch hit hardest because it was the first time we were exposed to his style, and lighthouse had dafoe just going 10 out of 10 the whole drat time

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This didn't work for me at all. Bummer.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Count Thrashula posted:

That's a shame, I loved Odyssey and Origins, and after seeing the Northman I figured I'd pick up Valhalla.

Mount and Blade Viking Conquest Mod my friend

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Deformed Church posted:

It's not as big on the spurting blood as GoT (which got almost cartoonish in places) but it's still pretty grim.

One of the things that struck me while watching it is it's kind of a reverse horror movie. Amleth is coming back night after night to do horrible violence to a community of people who are pretty much all various shades of terrible (bar maybe the kid) but not actually responsible for the acts he's nominally seeking revenge for, while they're stuck flailing against an apparently supernatural force that they're unable to properly deal with. Only this time the monster is the protagonist and he essentially wins in the end.

The horror is just the day to day life of living in that society.

It seems like a lot of people who disliked it really wanted a morality tale but what was special to me about it was that the movie is about how the Norse (at least, the warrior class) viewed the world and their role in it. Having a “and that’s terrible” aside to the viewer constantly would have been awful, I feel like it’s sorta the moral equivalent of insultingly over the top exposition, like the fact the protagonist just rips a dudes throat out with his teeth while his friends burn children for shits and giggles without anyone commenting on it shows you how normalized horror and violence is for them. He’s a normal well adjusted member of a society that is unimaginably casually brutal and cruel. That’s what’s really horrifying. He chases after his own self destruction and refuses opportunities to raise his family or have a life beyond his revenge quest. Having a reluctant Viking that feels bad about killing children so he can be more relatable while raping and pillaging his way through the world seems a lot worse both as a movie and a morality tale imo.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Android Apocalypse posted:

IMO the most unsettling scene was after Amleth & his raiding party raid the small walled community in Rus, they lock all the children in a hut & set it on fire.

I just saw the movie and this was easily the most harrowing thing for me. Just to be clear, one doesn’t see anything particularly gory here, but it’s a very disturbing scene. It invoked the cold opening of “Son of Saul” to me.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Having a reluctant Viking that feels bad about killing children so he can be more relatable while raping and pillaging his way through the world seems a lot worse both as a movie and a morality tale imo.

The film does exactly this though. Amleth refuses to kill women (personally, his mates can do it in front of him and that's fine) and "accidently" kills both Nicole Kidman and her other son after they attack and injure him first, in order to keep him "good-guy-ish" for the audience.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

It's a good movie, though definitely not as good as his previous two. Valhalla rising is a superior religious mysticism revenge movie and Mads Mikkelson is a better psychotic viking. Though I haven't seen Valhalla Rising in a few years, I should re watch it.

The stick and ball game that's depicted looks a lot to me like a form of hurling.

It's Ireland's national sport, it's modern form was codified by the Gaelic Athletic Association at the end of the 19th century as part of the Gaelic revival but its a game that has very very old roots. Probably old enough that it's accurate to the time period in the film.
No idea if the vikings played it, though they definitely had lots of links with Ireland.

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2011/09/hurling-its-ancient-history/

Helmets were only made compulsory around 2010.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The film does exactly this though. Amleth refuses to kill women (personally, his mates can do it in front of him and that's fine) and "accidently" kills both Nicole Kidman and her other son after they attack and injure him first, in order to keep him "good-guy-ish" for the audience.

I see your point there, I interpreted it differently since he did still kill the kid. In my opinion feels bad because it’s his half brother and mom and that he literally did kill off his own kin, and not to humanize him. It still felt to me like the characters reactions were because that’s something even someone raised old Norse religion might frown in rather than an attempt to make us sympathize with him.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Amleth tries to avoid directly killing women & children because he's obsessed with honour. He doesn't see the hypocrisy because he's a dummy conditioned not to think about it. He does feel bad about killing his family, he even feels bad about that fisherman's son who gets sniped before the big raid kicks off - but his quest is more important to him than anything else, and the ends justify the means.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also think there’s an unspoken element of “even if I wanted to do something, I would get owned so immediately and completely that it would be meaningless”. Amleth is only effective, really, at night when he’s sneaking up on people.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I don't know about that. Amleth is consistently shown as being a very capable warrior. Additionally, being a sneaky and vicious bastard is inline with Viking "honor". In that sense, Amleth's nightly terror raids is just another expression of his (supernatural) prowess.

He allows himself to be captured, subconsciously or by divine intervention, because ultimately his journey is one of self-destruction. He needs to be sufficiently weakened so that he can die in battle and receive his reward — death and a golden ticket to psychopath heaven.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I dunno, Amleth kills very effectively during the berserker raid. In fact his first big moment as an adult is catching a spear and throwing it back. He is also shown to be quite effective at Viking ball. I think it’s just that Fjolnir the Brotherless is quite an experienced fighter also. We did see him first coming back from war after all.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Amleth is only effective, really, at night when he’s sneaking up on people.

I know "goons suck at watching movies and tv" is a tired trope but wtf

The first thing we see Amleth do as a grown man is an impossible feat of arms that the director specifically put into the film to show us how supernaturally gifted the story version of this person is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

bust rodd