Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PS it was this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Bust Rodd posted:

I also think there’s an unspoken element of “even if I wanted to do something, I would get owned so immediately and completely that it would be meaningless”. Amleth is only effective, really, at night when he’s sneaking up on people.

lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He’s sneaking up on a fortress full of dudes at 5 AM and raiding them with a horde of his buddies, or he’s skulking around in the middle of the night stabbing people in the back. His one on one fights are against a ghost (not real), a sports game (he goes into berserker rage and wins via head butt), or against his uncle twice his age (a draw). The movie starts out with him watching his father get sniped before getting stuck like a wild boar, it’s a big part of Amleth’s character development even! He understands that he can’t just wage war, he has to destroy their minds first before picking them off, it’s literally the plot of the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the film isn't exactly realistic but I did feel like it took place in a world where even the biggest baddest dude can get taken down by a lucky idiot with a pointy stick, so yeah, best to bide his time.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Amleth is shown to be a very capable fighter. Again, his first big move is that cool spear catch, and then him killing many men. Yes other raiders are there, but we see Amleth is action in the foreground with the other raiders often in the back.

Thematically it’s important that Amleth can fight. After all, he’s been so consumed by revenge that he’s dedicated his life to learning to be a warrior. Also there’s an aspect of the culture and religion only allowing the strong to survive.

After first obtaining the Night Blade, Amleth tries to ambush Fjolnir and kill him, but a dog interrupts. Amleth interprets this as meaning he can’t break the prophecy. He believes fate governs all and it his fate to fight his battle at the Gates of Hell. So he cannot kill Fjolnir before then. He then decides that while he waits for destiny he will make Fjolnir suffer like he did for years. Then the Night Blade feeds begin. It’s not about weakening the minds of his enemies. It’s about revenge and fate .

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I watched this over the weekend. I didn't hate it, but it was very one note.

I would have liked Amleth to have more reluctance over having to avenge his dad and how doing that was loving up his life and everyone else's. The movie attempted to have a little bit of internal conflict by having him avoid killing his Uncle's son but I thought they could have done more with that angle.

Like it's more or less Viking Hamlet but one of the things that makes Hamlet such a compelling play is there's that undercurrent throughout of doubt that Hamlet has over what he's doing. I didn't feel like Amleth had a whole lot of doubt in this.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Ginette Reno posted:

I watched this over the weekend. I didn't hate it, but it was very one note.

I would have liked Amleth to have more reluctance over having to avenge his dad and how doing that was loving up his life and everyone else's. The movie attempted to have a little bit of internal conflict by having him avoid killing his Uncle's son but I thought they could have done more with that angle.

Like it's more or less Viking Hamlet but one of the things that makes Hamlet such a compelling play is there's that undercurrent throughout of doubt that Hamlet has over what he's doing. I didn't feel like Amleth had a whole lot of doubt in this.

I think he shows doubt when he agrees to just sail away with his girlfriend. He's left his revenge undone, but then when hearing that she's pregnant he switches back to killmode.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Dark Age Deadbeat Dads

"Look I'd love to stay, but you know how when we met I said that revenge is super important to me, plus there's a prophecy and it's a whole thing, so I'm gonna head out, good luck eh? Ok bye"

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched it, another brilliant flick by Eggers. This is true viking poo poo. I think this and Vinland Saga(manga) are the best pieces of fiction I've seen that capture that era without romanticizing it too much. I am sure a lot of directors would have cut out the Odin/Valkryie bits but it really added an extra authenticity flavor to the movie even though it was a bit weird.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I went back and watch The VVitch because I really liked this & The Lighthouse and it’s a fine film, a pretty cool piece of filmmaking, but I think The Northman is miles and miles and miles more entertaining, engaging, and thought provoking. The Lighthouse gripped me for very different, personal reasons (queer), The VVitch is just horrible things happening to simple people for no reason, which is probably my least enjoyable kind of media. Just left a sour pit in my stomach compared to the dark wonder and mystery of Northman or Lighthouse.

A good movie, but I think Lighthouse is his best work and The Northman is a close 2’d with The VVitch in a distant 3rd.

(I liked The Lighthouse’s singular isolated setting but I really hated The VVitch’s singular isolated setting, go figure)

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I also think there’s an unspoken element of “even if I wanted to do something, I would get owned so immediately and completely that it would be meaningless”. Amleth is only effective, really, at night when he’s sneaking up on people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRn2bm2S7KA&t=955s

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Bust Rodd posted:

I went back and watch The VVitch because I really liked this & The Lighthouse and it’s a fine film, a pretty cool piece of filmmaking, but I think The Northman is miles and miles and miles more entertaining, engaging, and thought provoking. The Lighthouse gripped me for very different, personal reasons (queer), The VVitch is just horrible things happening to simple people for no reason, which is probably my least enjoyable kind of media. Just left a sour pit in my stomach compared to the dark wonder and mystery of Northman or Lighthouse.

A good movie, but I think Lighthouse is his best work and The Northman is a close 2’d with The VVitch in a distant 3rd.

(I liked The Lighthouse’s singular isolated setting but I really hated The VVitch’s singular isolated setting, go figure)

You know I had the reverse reaction - I really wanted to like the Northman more, and I enjoyed it and its a very good piece of art, but I didn't like it as much as the VVitch or the Lighthouse. Once Amleth leaves to go to Iceland I felt less and less interested, and the more I understood it to be a Hamlet, Ur-Hamlet tale, the more wonder I had about the film left. I did appreciate the sole bit of ambiguity in the film - Amleth's mother telling him that his father was actually the monster, that he was a product of rape, that his uncle was (relatively speaking) the 'good' guy, but other than that it is an extremely straightforward film (and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that!)

The VVitch however...I share the disgust with films where horrible things happen to people for no reason, but I didn't feel that way about this film. There's lots to dig in to what befalls the family there, is it religious apostasy? A cruel coven of witches looking for a new recruit? Is it a karmic backlash on the patriarchal family for its treatment of its adolescent daughter? While its left ambiguous, it never felt nihilistic in how the family suffered, there was some sort of gnostic meaning to it, even if we weren't privy entirely to it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mike N Eich posted:

You know I had the reverse reaction - I really wanted to like the Northman more, and I enjoyed it and its a very good piece of art, but I didn't like it as much as the VVitch or the Lighthouse. Once Amleth leaves to go to Iceland I felt less and less interested, and the more I understood it to be a Hamlet, Ur-Hamlet tale, the more wonder I had about the film left. I did appreciate the sole bit of ambiguity in the film - Amleth's mother telling him that his father was actually the monster, that he was a product of rape, that his uncle was (relatively speaking) the 'good' guy, but other than that it is an extremely straightforward film (and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that!)

This is exactly how I felt about it. The momentum goes out the window when he gets back to Iceland. I loved the movie up to this point, thought the first third or so was phenomenal. But the plot comes to a screeching halt at that point and doesn't pick up until the very end. I wish the reveal with his mother happened WAY sooner, that it motivated...something else, something completely different in the plot. Maybe he did flee with Olga, had his illusions shattered and gave up on revenge until some later incident re-ignites it. Just, anything to make it feel less like it was spinning its wheels for an hour or so of runtime.

Witch and Lighthouse are still all-timers, though. Kept me very invested the whole time. I'm still on board for anything Eggers does.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Momentum loss in Iceland? What? The Nightblade feeds then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s very intriguing to read other perspectives like “oh the most compelling & dramatic part of the film? When his evil and traitorous uncle has been demoted to a meaningless feif and sheepherd? And the fabric of the vengeance fantasy begins to fray and Amleth begins to see the truth of things? Yeah, that’s the boring part that lost me!”

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s very intriguing to read other perspectives like “oh the most compelling & dramatic part of the film? When his evil and traitorous uncle has been demoted to a meaningless feif and sheepherd? And the fabric of the vengeance fantasy begins to fray and Amleth begins to see the truth of things? Yeah, that’s the boring part that lost me!”

To clarify, my point isn’t that the vengeance fantasy shouldn’t fray. Deconstructing the hyper-masculine mythology of this kind of story is good and valuable, I just wish the pacing didn’t suffer in the process.

I’m totally on board with the story painting Amleth’s mission as fundamentally hollow and childish. That part is great.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

There are some great deleted scenes on the physical release, including one where Willam Dafoe dances for a while before mooning the camera and farting viciously. The biggest problem with this film is that this was cut.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Didn’t realize the physical release was out. Good to know

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

There are some great deleted scenes on the physical release, including one where Willam Dafoe dances for a while before mooning the camera and farting viciously. The biggest problem with this film is that this was cut.

I feel like they cut that simply to deny Dafoe an Oscar out of spite. It’s the only reason I can think of to cut something like that

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
OK I'm gonna weigh in here.

Amleth looked like an awesome badass with long hair.

Amleth looked like a dork with a bowl cut.

My nephew said when he first shows up with the bowl cut, "gently caress, he looks like a guy named Tim from the Verizon store," and now all I can see is bowl-cut Timleth.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

OK I'm gonna weigh in here.

Amleth looked like an awesome badass with long hair.

Amleth looked like a dork with a bowl cut.

My nephew said when he first shows up with the bowl cut, "gently caress, he looks like a guy named Tim from the Verizon store," and now all I can see is bowl-cut Timleth.

The bowl cut was him trying to look like a slave, but yeah I was also bummed when he no longer looked like a guy from Bathory or Darkthrone

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Look…I think it’s worth it to throw another $200 million at Eggers and let him do whatever he wants.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Gatts posted:

Look…I think it’s worth it to throw another $200 million at Eggers and let him do whatever he wants.

Not financially, but sure.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Drunkboxer posted:

I feel like they cut that simply to deny Dafoe an Oscar out of spite. It’s the only reason I can think of to cut something like that

Eventually he's gonna have to receive some kind of award for fart-based acting, he's the GOAT

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Finally got to watch it because I was visiting a larger city and one theater was still showing the film.

It was interesting to see the other (all male) audience members'' reactions. Two guys who were sitting in front walked out at the fertility festival scene and didn't come back. Two other guys walked out at the valkyrie scene I think, the one where Olga rescues Amleth I mean. Another guy walked out at one point, slamming the door, came back a long time after grinning to his friends like "can you believe this movie?" Guys on one row were also laughing at odd moments.

It may be just that the movie has been on for a long time so the audience now aren't going to be keen on Eggers or hyped for the movie, they may have went in expecting a simple popcorn flick and been disappointed. It also occured to me that since this was a Norwegian audience they may have had certain expectations for how viking related media is supposed to be and this broke with those.

I listened to the Saga Thing episode with Eggers and Sjon and it's awesome how much effort went into making the movie a real saga movie. The nose stabbing with the accompanying quip for example would have fit right in.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Grevling posted:

It was interesting to see the other (all male) audience members'' reactions. Two guys who were sitting in front walked out at the fertility festival scene and didn't come back. Two other guys walked out at the valkyrie scene I think, the one where Olga rescues Amleth I mean. Another guy walked out at one point, slamming the door, came back a long time after grinning to his friends like "can you believe this movie?" Guys on one row were also laughing at odd moments.

This is basically the same experience I had a few years ago when 2001: A Space Odyssey had its special 50th anniversary release.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pioneer42 posted:

This is basically the same experience I had a few years ago when 2001: A Space Odyssey had its special 50th anniversary release.

I saw 2001 twice that week since it was in Imax and the theatre was nearly deserted both times, which was great because I could discreetly hit my weed vape during the intermission

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Was thinking a double feature of The Lighthouse & Portrait of a Lady On Fire would be great. Just the total antithesis of each other.

What would The Northman pair well with? Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain maybe?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Conan the Barbarian. Hamlet/Macbeth. Fight Club. The Last Duel.

Only God Forgives.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 27, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Those works aren't antithetical. Should be looking at something where the Main Character forgives someone for something they did. Or just watch Conan because it rocks

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gaius Marius posted:

Those works aren't antithetical. Should be looking at something where the Main Character forgives someone for something they did. Or just watch Conan because it rocks

Spider-Man 3

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
First Reformed

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Was thinking a double feature of The Lighthouse & Portrait of a Lady On Fire would be great. Just the total antithesis of each other.

What would The Northman pair well with? Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain maybe?

Freddy Got Fingered. Both movies about seeking father's approval.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Hot Rod

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I’d vote Only God Forgives. Choose to break the cycle of violence.

Edit: And there's also the mother thing.

Pioneer42 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 27, 2022

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The Straight Story.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lmao

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

IMO the most unsettling scene was after Amleth & his raiding party raid the small walled community in Rus, they lock all the children in a hut & set it on fire.

This scene stuck with me the entire time I watched this movie and really took away enjoyment I may have had for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you’d like a version of the movie where the main character isn’t a total piece of poo poo I can recommend 1994’s “The Lion King”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think Eggers has come out and said that one of his main goals in making this movie was to undercut the mythos of Viking culture as being heroic warriors full of martial virtue. White supremacists have done their best to coopt Norse iconography and this was Eggers basically giving those people the finger.

I think it makes the film richer by having Amleth compromised by these heinous acts. He is most certainly not a hero.