Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Just saw it. I thought it was just short of great. I could very clearly see the seams between what Eggers wanted, and what the studio wanted. I feel like the final line by Anya Taylor Joy was very much tacked on go, we're free, thanks to you, everything's good now when the movie itself was very much saying no, this dude's an idiot for jumping off the boat.
The final decision actually very strongly reminded me of Heat, when De Niro is free and clear with his prisoner-girlfriend, and makes the decision to turn back and get himself killed for some dumbass Real Man reasons (I haven't seen or read Hamlet so don't @ if this is lifted from there..

I feel like for the end, a more Eastern Promises bathhouse-style style fight might have fit better, where nudity was important to getting across how vulnerable and exposed you are, but the studio wanted a more traditional fight. I mean that's just my own theory but I feel like the fight as-is didn't really fit in with the rest of the imagery or tone. Like all the parts are there, but it should have been more knockdown dragout desperate kind of fighting. IMO. But at least it wasn't framed as this honourable thing to do, at that point he'd already killed his half-brothercousin and his mom, so gently caress that guy.

What's great with Nicole Kidman's character sayingshe was laughing, and her whole speech there, is that you could read it any way you wanted. Was she telling the truth? Was this a lie she's convinced herself of to psychologically manage what her life is? Does it really matter either way?

I think Skarsgard's body posture was kind of goofy. I knew he was going for a barely human, verging on animalistic kind of thing, with his hunched over posture, but all I could see is that thing that skinny people do when they pop their shoulder blades out to embiggen their traps to make them look bigger than they actually are. Meanwhile Skarsgard was a brick shithouse. What a beefcake.
And I really don't get the Green Knight comparisons itt. I wasn't reminded of it at all.

edit: Oh yeah I'm surprised it's not doing well financially, I checked around various theaters and they were all 1/2 to 3/4 sold out. Considering Dr Strange has taken over the box office, that's still pretty good.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

His posture is because he’s spent his life rowing longboats, it was to help symbolize his dehumanization as an instrument of war & pillage, I thought that detail really made the whole thing seem more authentic.

Nope. You tend to do this in every thread I see you post, where you speak like your interpretation is the only correct one, and shoot down all others as if you're the ultimate authority. Like your post here isn't exactly an invitation for a dialogue, so I just found this interview, just for you:

"Amleth carries himself like a beast. How did you create his animal-like walk? How did the physical transformation help you get into the psyche of this character?"

"I tried to revert back to something more primal, but it’s all in his warrior name: Bjorn Ulfur, which means bear-wolf. There’s this scene, the shamanic ritual that he goes through before the raid in which he sheds his humanity and becomes his spirit animal, the hybrid of a wolf and a bear. I felt that it was imperative to try to embody that and feel that in Amleth’s physique, which would be a bit more bear-like in his posture and the way he moves. You see it in his eyes as well. After he completes the ritual, the abandoned little boy who also exists within him is completely gone. He’s a predator."

https://time.com/6169996/alexander-skarsgard-the-northman-interview/

Besides which rowers don't have a rounded forward posture, if anything they have overdeveloped backs pulling their shoulders back, not forward.