Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
So pumped for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Monglo posted:

...here we go, 10 page fight about toxic masculinity

I mean it's a revenge story, so that kinda comes with the territory.

Monglo posted:

You seem to be angry at the movie for not living up to your dogmatic expectations of what it should have been instead of engaging with it on its own merits.

It's def a bit weird to complain about the lack of poc when the previous 2 were super white. Like sure, judge by some standard of representation (or tokenism) but at least be consistent with it!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

RobbZombae posted:

The VVitch was a while ago (also at least had a fun female character arc) and The Lighthouse had two actors in it. Not weird.

That witch is also in this one, and there were 4 actors in lighthouse. All white (except for a blurry shot of passing indigenous hunters/traders). Why wasn't that a concern for you before?

Norse imagery is popular with racists so I can understand giving it the side-eye, but it really depends on how it's depicted. A story about bad people isn't necessarily endorsing their actions or beliefs.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

This was very good but not quite as good as Valhalla Rising in terms of trippy viking poo poo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Amleth tries to avoid directly killing women & children because he's obsessed with honour. He doesn't see the hypocrisy because he's a dummy conditioned not to think about it. He does feel bad about killing his family, he even feels bad about that fisherman's son who gets sniped before the big raid kicks off - but his quest is more important to him than anything else, and the ends justify the means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Dark Age Deadbeat Dads

"Look I'd love to stay, but you know how when we met I said that revenge is super important to me, plus there's a prophecy and it's a whole thing, so I'm gonna head out, good luck eh? Ok bye"