Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Bust Rodd posted:

I went back and watch The VVitch because I really liked this & The Lighthouse and it’s a fine film, a pretty cool piece of filmmaking, but I think The Northman is miles and miles and miles more entertaining, engaging, and thought provoking. The Lighthouse gripped me for very different, personal reasons (queer), The VVitch is just horrible things happening to simple people for no reason, which is probably my least enjoyable kind of media. Just left a sour pit in my stomach compared to the dark wonder and mystery of Northman or Lighthouse.

A good movie, but I think Lighthouse is his best work and The Northman is a close 2’d with The VVitch in a distant 3rd.

(I liked The Lighthouse’s singular isolated setting but I really hated The VVitch’s singular isolated setting, go figure)

You know I had the reverse reaction - I really wanted to like the Northman more, and I enjoyed it and its a very good piece of art, but I didn't like it as much as the VVitch or the Lighthouse. Once Amleth leaves to go to Iceland I felt less and less interested, and the more I understood it to be a Hamlet, Ur-Hamlet tale, the more wonder I had about the film left. I did appreciate the sole bit of ambiguity in the film - Amleth's mother telling him that his father was actually the monster, that he was a product of rape, that his uncle was (relatively speaking) the 'good' guy, but other than that it is an extremely straightforward film (and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that!)

The VVitch however...I share the disgust with films where horrible things happen to people for no reason, but I didn't feel that way about this film. There's lots to dig in to what befalls the family there, is it religious apostasy? A cruel coven of witches looking for a new recruit? Is it a karmic backlash on the patriarchal family for its treatment of its adolescent daughter? While its left ambiguous, it never felt nihilistic in how the family suffered, there was some sort of gnostic meaning to it, even if we weren't privy entirely to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU