Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think that's intentional. He's not an evil man through and through, but the choices he makes (fighting with the berserkers, etc.) end up making him functionally indistinguishable from those that revel in it. And I think the character is self aware to know all this, which makes his choices more tragic.

It was a poignant moment when he grieved his mother and half brother at the base of the mountain. To modern sensibilities it's an outrageous paradox, given that he killed them himself. But I think the film triumphs mainly in its exploring of these strange and foreign concepts of justice and righteous action. I enjoyed it and plan on seeing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
During that sequence I kept an eye out for what foes Amleth engaged and he didn't go for any "innocents", he seemed to seek out armed men to kill. And when the other raiders were participating in various atrocities, Amleth stood apart and I got the impression that he had a degree of self awareness / loathing about being a part of it. I think that's a pretty interesting way to handle it because it allows the audience to draw their own conclusions about how sullied Amleth's soul is by killing the guards but distancing himself from the real carnage. Is there any real difference?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Right - one of the things I liked about the film was that it shows the viking culture is supremely hosed up and that it was basically a glorification of mass murder, rape, and theft. These weren't "good" people and their concept of honor was pretty awful. I see a lot of dipshits in the armed forces, police, etc. identify with vikings and the more we're collectively confronted with the harsh realities of that way of life, the better. These weren't heroes protecting their people or whatever. They were thieves and pirates who largely avoided battle to steal from peaceful people who posed no threat to them. Not really something to be glorified and the film doesn't really shy away from that.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember the exact line but I think it is in reference to the common notion in Norse Viking Age culture that only women can practice magic without breaking major norms. Not all magic is permitted for women, but no magic is permitted for men.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Should've made it more like Conan

I do agree with this somewhat, though the endings are quite different and may make that impossible. The shot of Conan sitting on the steps of the temple, contemplating the moment and his future, is probably the most powerful of the film. There's no real correlation here as amleth dies to achieve his goal. There's no future to ponder, no asking "what now?" which is the heart of that film.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How would this movie rate in terms of disturbing, graphic violence, using Game of Thrones as a median?

There are a couple points with graphic violence but it's not a gore fest at all. The themes of madness and abject cruelty are the actual disturbing elements of the film, imo.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Amleth is only effective, really, at night when he’s sneaking up on people.

I know "goons suck at watching movies and tv" is a tired trope but wtf

The first thing we see Amleth do as a grown man is an impossible feat of arms that the director specifically put into the film to show us how supernaturally gifted the story version of this person is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think Eggers has come out and said that one of his main goals in making this movie was to undercut the mythos of Viking culture as being heroic warriors full of martial virtue. White supremacists have done their best to coopt Norse iconography and this was Eggers basically giving those people the finger.

I think it makes the film richer by having Amleth compromised by these heinous acts. He is most certainly not a hero.