Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I really liked this movie and I thought it was thematically similar to The Witch where it's just, "let's take this legend and treat it with a straight face and sell the gently caress out of it." This is a viking story, have at it seemed to be the amount of thought Eggers put in and it's an interesting exercise.

Obviously it's less interesting subtext than women's treatment in New England and the religious parallels to a lot of modern audiences, and doesn't have as much fun with the concept, but it's really interesting seeing values and ideas from centuries ago placed onscreen in a blockbuster. Like in comparison to Hamlet's endless hesitation Amleth can't kill Fjollnir literally because fate won't let him even unsheathe his sword.

It obviously loves its text though I thought him saying "I don't kill women", and later killing his mom and half-brother in arguable self-defence tried to make him too palatable. But hey it's an $80M movie that's gonna lose a lot of money: I can imagine the studio interference.

I don't really care much for all the costuming accuracy, the whole time I was just thinking this is pure entertainment and I'm here for its spectacle.

And I think all of S. Craig Zahler's films are thinly veiled reactionary propaganda. I was waiting to cringe given the awful history Nordic themes have in the modern world but Eggers makes it very difficult to read that into his movie and I always do that. (Christopher Nolan's Batman is also reactionary bullshit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU