Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like that he’s a huge nerd about historically accurate jacket buttons and nails and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Really happy Egger’s brought the farts back.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
In defense of RobbZombae’s posts earlier I can definitely see how someone could suspect that the film makers might be trying to tell some kind of right wing fantasy. I read this earlier and it’s sounds like Egger’s thought a lot of the same things:

quote:

I didn't have a ton of knowledge 'cause originally I wasn't interested in Vikings. I didn't like the macho stuff, and the right wing misappropriation of Viking culture put me off even more. But when I took a trip to Iceland, the landscapes were so brutal and inspiring and epic that it made me pick up some Viking sagas and learn about them.

I always try to present the worldview of the culture that I'm telling the story about without judgment. But it's tricky because like the ending of the film, it needs to be happy ending for Alexander Skarsgård's character. But like I don't necessarily personally see it that way, you know? So it's a tight rope.

I also get not digging it because the plot is simplistic, I mean it’s literally Hamlet but more pared down. The visuals, the choreography and all the screaming really carried it for me. Really liked the screaming valkyrie, the screaming berserkers and when Taylor-Joy’s character summons the wind (by screaming).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

checkplease posted:

Eggers states the simplicity is intentional. He assumes most people know the basics of a revenge story and hamlet, and in this way people could just absorb the weird mysticism and viking setting.

Oh yeah I mean it works for me, I was just saying I get someone not liking it because the plot’s simple.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I read that Gleiberman article and I definitely didn’t get a feeling of “extreme video game awe” from the village massacre. It’s a slick sequence but I felt (and I think you’re supposed to feel this way) shocked by our hero butchering a village of innocents. He also says that in an “authentic viking saga” the hero shouldn’t be “indomitable like mighty Thor” or something and idk where he’s going with that one of course he should be. That’s what those legendary sagas are.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 25, 2022

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Me on my way to avenge my father’s death

Back when men were men. When’s the last time you’ve seen a dude carrying around a princely orb? You never do anymore, they just carry around their friggen phones

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Lighthouse was the most historically accurate movie about chugging lamp fuel with my bro (who I am NOT attracted to) that I have ever seen

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Carillon posted:

Lastly I was really impressed by how The Northmantackled the supernatural. I felt it made clear that the power of a culture comes from how people engage with these myths and give them power. It's not that Valhalla existing that's important, but that people in the culture believe it's important and shapes how they act. This includes big issues like Ethan Hawke's obsession with dying in battle and spitting at his brother-killer, the indoctrination of Amleth into a cult of revenge, and the ease at which Fjölnir reaches for human sacrifice. The tree vision also ties into this theme. Why is the potentially silly scene of them barking like dogs important? Because the scene ties them into a cultural web and makes the instructions there feel double or triple layered with meaning.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the film. I don't generally enjoy horror so took a pass on The Witch, but might actually catch up with The Lighthouse because of this.

If you think you can stomach a slow burn version of the genre you should try The Witch because it sort of handles the supernatural in the same way. Not that there’s any real ambiguity about whether or not something supernatural is happening (it is), but it’s presented as a straight folk tale from the period.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Orca, The Killer Whale (1977, d. Michael Anderson) begs to differ

That whale was loving pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

There are some great deleted scenes on the physical release, including one where Willam Dafoe dances for a while before mooning the camera and farting viciously. The biggest problem with this film is that this was cut.

I feel like they cut that simply to deny Dafoe an Oscar out of spite. It’s the only reason I can think of to cut something like that