Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

It's a good movie, though definitely not as good as his previous two. Valhalla rising is a superior religious mysticism revenge movie and Mads Mikkelson is a better psychotic viking. Though I haven't seen Valhalla Rising in a few years, I should re watch it.

The stick and ball game that's depicted looks a lot to me like a form of hurling.

It's Ireland's national sport, it's modern form was codified by the Gaelic Athletic Association at the end of the 19th century as part of the Gaelic revival but its a game that has very very old roots. Probably old enough that it's accurate to the time period in the film.
No idea if the vikings played it, though they definitely had lots of links with Ireland.

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2011/09/hurling-its-ancient-history/

Helmets were only made compulsory around 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU