Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I see no reason to assume the released slaves would all immediately die. Amleth had no issue wandering around Iceland at night, and he was no more a native of the island than the rest. Not to mention the random sorcerer? (not sure if that's the right title) living in the cave. I'd also assume that sheep and trade goods weren't their only sources of sustenance. If any amount of hunting and gathering was happening, it would have been the slaves doing that work, at least partially. Same with building. It's also possible Fjolnir had at least a few personal boats that the slaves could use to leave. That's just off the top of my head, and could be off, but if they were in danger of starvation or exposure it's not mentioned in the movie.

That said, him releasing the slaves was just another part of hurting Fjolnir, in the same way killing his favorite son was. Any good that came of it was strictly incidental, and if they did happen to die soon after, Amleth wouldn't have cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU