Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Did he use an authentic dialect for all the dialogue? I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy an Eggers movie if I can understand everything that's being said. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Movie isn't doing so hot financially. The article is...weirdly aggressive, but has actual numbers.

quote:

Focus Features mitigated the liability by co-producing and co-financing the film with New Regency. But “The Northman” needs to become a runaway sensation in foreign markets to avoid drowning either company in red ink. So far, “The Northman” has collected just $11.5 million from 41 international markets, taking its global tally to $23.5 million.

In North America, box office sages predict “The Northman” will end its theatrical run with $30 million to $40 million. Though critics championed the film, a “B” CinemaScore from ticket buyers means word of mouth will only take it so far. (That’s probably why “The Northman” was released nationwide to start, rather than as a platform release, which is intended to slowly gain traction.)

That reality means the film has a lot of ground to make up internationally. Box office experts estimate “The Northman” has to generate at least $140 million globally to cover its production budget. However, adding in the tens of millions in marketing means a movie like “The Northman” likely needs to make almost $200 million to break even in its theatrical run. In this case, Focus has a little flexibility in its finances because of Universal’s agreement with exhibitors to put movies on digital platforms in as little as 17 days. Expect the company to put “The Northman” on premium video-on-demand and its parent company’s streamer Peacock as soon as legally possible — and then pray to Odin that the movies becomes an instant cult hit.

The Kingfish posted:

Someone upthread said that Amleth tried to rape Olga. I was day-drinking and had to take a couple bathroom breaks. Did I miss it?

I didn't particularly care for the movie, but I would not characterize any encounter between the two of them as rape. If anything, I found it a little silly how quickly they become a couple.