Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I'm a fan of The VVitch and The Lighthouse but this poo poo was not my jam. It's the kind of cringe macho nonsense I'd expect from a wannabe throwback exploitation filmmaker; in the same vein as Bone Tomahawk. Eggers seemed like his batshit psychological magicka was what was going to seperate him from the pack and become the thinking person's genre hound now he's distancing himself from his debut feature and embracing vapid geek projects - I was so disappointed in him here. Does "authenticity" really loving matter that much? In a world where colour-blind casting has produced such amazing performances as Dev Patel in The Green Knight, Batman 2022 was vaping instead of crafting cringe abs and one neat trick modern filmmakers have picked up in the last decade or so for women characters is they are a little more than incubators. Who out there is actually interested that the "longboats used in the film have nails made in the nordic tradition"? Probably the same kind of people who think big budget vikings should stay white, as if it matters.

The guest spooks by Willem and Bjork were just short sharp reminders this story didn't have the fun pizazz and intelligence that has served Eggers previous two movies so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Spermando posted:

Does it detract from the film?

Reading the positive reviews it seems like it's the only thing the film actually has going for it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Mordja posted:

Wait, is this to say that you haven't actually seen the movie?

No I've seen it there's just no upside to it other than the geek high production wank.

Quick quiz only real fans of Robert Eggers and The Northman will know the answer to:

If you create a scene where two naked men fight to the death inside a volcano (see that sentence trend on twitter, great cool exposure!) how do you also avoid making the studios unhappy?
Answer: Light the exploding lava cave as if it's darker than inside satan's arsehole. You can saaaay you have the scene but not actually show anything! Neat.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

You saw the dongs twitter promised, huh?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

I had no expectation for such a thing because I don't hinge my expectations on movies on what social media lunatics post. I've numbed myself to that after too many instances of being told something is queer as hell and then it's one scene of two men sharing a quick smirking glance. I can only be betrayed so many times.

:arghfist: :(

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

I mean it's a revenge story, so that kinda comes with the territory.

It's def a bit weird to complain about the lack of poc when the previous 2 were super white. Like sure, judge by some standard of representation (or tokenism) but at least be consistent with it!

The VVitch was a while ago (also at least had a fun female character arc) and The Lighthouse had two actors in it. Not weird.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Monglo posted:

Yeah, exactly - its what its about. The only slight criticism that could be made, I think, is that it made the brutality and violence "look cool". But otherwise, the movie is as open as it can be about condemning them and everything that is usually described as toxic masculinity.

Can it be a revenge story that makes violence look cool and a condemnation of toxic masculinity at the same time? The film literally ends with the lead ascending to heaven.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

Depiction is not endorsement

Where is the nuance?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Monglo posted:

For me, the big part of the narrative was the dichotomy of how a person living with the ideals of that time perceived their actions and the world around them, and how the audience views them portrayed on-screen. There were multiple scenes were these versions are juxtaposed, like the fight with the undead warrior at the burial mound being the most extreme example. Amleth sees himself battling the undead creature, where we would say he just robbed a grave.

Its a crucial part in the character's story - the conflict of his brutal upbringing and traditions with his inner humanity that he shares with us, that Amleth occasionally gets reminded of but, tragically, fails to follow in the end. And the movie is clear about which of those parts is the good one.

In this scene Amleth clearly looks over and watches himself rob the grave after winning the cool fight, it's not just for audiences. Why that scene was there and then depicted as a dream or fantasy the character is aware of I haven't had too much thought on. Could be a simple plot where Amleth must win a battle in his mind before being rewarded a power-up or a scene that almost got deleted for straying from the mud and abs theme but got "it was all a dream"'d instead so they can have their cake and eat it, too.

As for your point about Amleth having beliefs and traditions, yes, he follows them to the death and is rewarded for it. Where was the conflict? The murder of his mother and half-brother are not depicted in a way that would wholly turn audiences against him and his goal - his mother morphs into a strange sexist archetype trying to put her tongue down his throat and dies after stabbing him in the chest and the child stabbed him multiple times and was killed in a sort of accidental way where he was cut by his sword after being thrown off his shoulders. I didn't detect the nuance or intelligence in those deaths or a commentary on revenge, as Amleth lay dying he wasn't thinking of the regret of that but that his seed lives on in two angelic little blonde babies. Skeevy.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Monglo posted:

I dont know what to say, every statement you made is wrong and the exact opposite of what happened in the movie. IMO :)

Doctor Faustine posted:

Idk man, but I don’t really see what’s so “skeevy” about a guy’s dying thoughts being about the woman he loves and their children, especially when the whole reason he went back to kill Fjollnir had transformed from a quest to avenge his father to a quest to eliminate a threat to his loved ones. It sounds like you’re looking to find things to be problematic.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/afraidofwasps/status/1517572463139373058

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

I feel like there's a drive to find subtext in this movie because Eggers couldn't possibly have written a movie this simple, this *just text*.

But I'm fairly certain he did. There's no hidden directorial meaning or intent. No subversion. Everything he meant to say he put right out there, just like Amleth or Olga or anyone else in the movie screaming into the wind.

And it was fine. But I feel like in five years people will still be talking about The Lighthouse and even the Witch, but there just won't be much Northman discourse because, at the end of the day, there's just not that much to talk about there.

He does say he wanted a simple story so he could play in this time period without confusing audiences. Wish I knew that going in, I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Was thinking a double feature of The Lighthouse & Portrait of a Lady On Fire would be great. Just the total antithesis of each other.

What would The Northman pair well with? Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain maybe?

Freddy Got Fingered. Both movies about seeking father's approval.