Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think Eggers has come out and said that one of his main goals in making this movie was to undercut the mythos of Viking culture as being heroic warriors full of martial virtue. White supremacists have done their best to coopt Norse iconography and this was Eggers basically giving those people the finger.

I think it makes the film richer by having Amleth compromised by these heinous acts. He is most certainly not a hero.

Yeah, it makes clear that he has gained martial prowess at the almost total cost of his humanity. That thin sliver of hope that he is not a total beast is shown when he doesn't partake in the massacre of the unarmed and shows some kinda-sorta disdain when the fisherman is shot earlier. It's not much. When he went back to the burned-out town hall, I was hoping he'd look for survivors or kneel and ruminate over their ashes but no, it's because he heard Björk' call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU