Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Woodenlung posted:

He does set the other slaves free, telling them to do what they please or something like that. But it's true, the good be does is very minimal

While the life they had wasn't great, they're all almost certain to be killed by starvation, animals, or other slaveholders. So, even that minimal good is questionable but, hey, agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mae posted:

As someone who liked the witch and loved the lighthouse, this one kind of left me cold.

Its like someone read all the bad reviews for The Green Knight saying it needed more action, and made a much weaker film overall. Pretty visuals, but less behind them and a fairly threadbare plot

Word. I just had no emotional connection to the movie whatsoever. Witch and Lighthouse both had moments that grabbed me, creeped me out, made me laugh out loud, made me *feel* something and generally speaking, this one didn't have any moments that really surprised or moved me. Gleiberman wrote a pretty scathing review of it, saying it was basically just the movie that Conan wanted to be 40 years ago, and says that while Eggers is a great talent, there's just not enough *weird* here.

I went in with high hopes, but agree that it's the least of his movies, by a pretty long shot, where I'm concerned. My wife and friend asked me if I'd want to see this movie again and I said that I'd maybe want to refresh my thoughts on it in 5 or 10 years, whereas I'd happily watch either of the other two in the next month or two.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Drunkboxer posted:

I read that Gleiberman article and I definitely didn’t get a feeling of “extreme video game awe” from the village massacre. It’s a slick sequence but I felt (and I think you’re supposed to feel this way) shocked by our hero butchering a village of innocents. He also says that in an “authentic viking saga” the hero shouldn’t be “indomitable like mighty Thor” or something and idk where he’s going with that one of course he should be. That’s what those legendary sagas are.

Yeah, I don't buy into the Gleiberman article wholeheartedly, but I did agree with him that it just isn't up to Eggers' other work. I did feel like the village scene was a weird choice of action because the movie goes REAL slow for a while after that scene and, frankly, never rises to the same heights in terms of the action itself, at least for me. It's an interesting choice, but not one that really worked for me.

I also disagree with Gleiberman in that I think Conan's the better movie, but that's just me. ;-)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

checkplease posted:

We see the former slaves burning the long house and cheering indicating a successful rebellion. I guess you could assume they died, but that’s like assuming that somehow they cannot survive without their rulers.

The movie goes to great lengths to describe Iceland as a barren place and I believe there's even a line in the movie where one of the guards comments on the futility of running away in that climate, although admittedly he has every reason to try and keep the slaves docile. I think it's a pretty long shot to assume many of them will survive a year in that environment, but hey, at least they have a shot, I suppose. I think the movie's pretty ambivalent about anything that happens to a slave that isn't one of our leads otherwise, hence why I hesitate to call this a "good" Amleth perpetuates. Like most of the rest of the film, it leaves us to draw our own conclusions, I guess. Spartacus, it ain't.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

The Kingfish posted:

Someone upthread said that Amleth tried to rape Olga. I was day-drinking and had to take a couple bathroom breaks. Did I miss it?

I believe that person was talking about Fjolnir's interest in doing so, not Amleth's.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

DeimosRising posted:

uh, you do know what happens at the end of the servile war right

Bud, if you can't see the difference between Amleth's intentions and Spartacus's, regardless of the result, I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I feel like there's a drive to find subtext in this movie because Eggers couldn't possibly have written a movie this simple, this *just text*.

But I'm fairly certain he did. There's no hidden directorial meaning or intent. No subversion. Everything he meant to say he put right out there, just like Amleth or Olga or anyone else in the movie screaming into the wind.

And it was fine. But I feel like in five years people will still be talking about The Lighthouse and even the Witch, but there just won't be much Northman discourse because, at the end of the day, there's just not that much to talk about there.