Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Also just from the theatre - movie's great.
Was nodding along with every decision.

Really liked how tight and simple in terms of interpretations and symbolism Eggers' movie's are. I can just sit back and enjoy what's on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

1stGear posted:

Did he use an authentic dialect for all the dialogue? I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy an Eggers movie if I can understand everything that's being said. :v:

Nah, people speak English with dialects used for a few scenes where its appropriate. Its a very easy to watch movie.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
...here we go, 10 page fight about toxic masculinity

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
You seem to be angry at the movie for not living up to your dogmatic expectations of what it should have been instead of engaging with it on its own merits.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Blood Boils posted:

I mean it's a revenge story, so that kinda comes with the territory.

Yeah, exactly - its what its about. The only slight criticism that could be made, I think, is that it made the brutality and violence "look cool". But otherwise, the movie is as open as it can be about condemning them and everything that is usually described as toxic masculinity.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

RobbZombae posted:

Can it be a revenge story that makes violence look cool and a condemnation of toxic masculinity at the same time?

For me, the big part of the narrative was the dichotomy of how a person living with the ideals of that time perceived their actions and the world around them, and how the audience views them portrayed on-screen. There were multiple scenes were these versions are juxtaposed, like the fight with the undead warrior at the burial mound being the most extreme example. Amleth sees himself heroically battling the undead creature, where we would say he just robbed a grave.

Its a crucial part in the character's story - the conflict of his brutal upbringing and traditions with his inner humanity that he shares with us, that Amleth occasionally gets reminded of but, tragically, fails to follow in the end. And the movie is clear about which of those parts is the good one.

I believe they are referred to as "Love" and "Hate" in the movie. You cant be more clear than that.

Monglo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 22, 2022

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I dont know what to say, every statement you made is wrong and the exact opposite of what happened in the movie. IMO :)

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think that's intentional.

Yeah, and why the movie is ultimately against this and any accusations that it intentionaly glorifies these actions, is that Amleth laments that following these cultural traditions of vengeance and hate made him hollow until he meets Olga, who presents him with an alternative to his violent culture. Thats when he starts to question his motivation for brutal retribution and considers abandoning it.
But of course then its too late and thats when the story really turns into a classical tragedy.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

The Kingfish posted:

Someone upthread said that Amleth tried to rape Olga. I was day-drinking and had to take a couple bathroom breaks. Did I miss it?

Every sexual encounter under the patriarchy is rape, my friend.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
It makes sense that even though the movie focuses on Fjolnir homestead, its not the only settlement on the whole island of Iceland. Im sure the slaves would be recaptured in the end by other vikings.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
The supernatural isn't real. The visuals are just an expression of how the people perceived the world. If it was real, then we we wouldn't have had the burial mound fight double scene.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Spermando posted:

I dunno. The sword being stuck in the scabbard for different people has to be supernatural. It reads like they wanted to have it both ways.

I agree, from what I heard Eggers say in various interviews, he loves mysticism, "magick" and all that new age-y stuff, but is still on the materialistic side of things. Being authentic to history is extremely important to him, so I dont believe he would include supernatural, as an element that has any effect in his stories besides being a cultural background to the characters and their worldview.
The story still works if we think of it, as a retelling of a saga - something written down by people sharing the views of the characters: English settlers, seamen, Vikings.

Monglo fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 27, 2022

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Why do you want penis so much?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Hope Eggers gets to do his next lower budget, more freedom movie with all the penis he wants. Im bit of a prude so it will make me uncomfortable, if its too much penis though.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
All Eggers movies are pretty simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Good summation, Bust Rodd. I also thought that Eggers sci-fi movie would be fascinating to see. His approach to staying faithful to historical anachronism in psychology would go great with speculative fiction. Even something simple on the surface, like a Star Trek utopia, has so many things to explore.