Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

RobbZombae posted:

Where is the nuance?

The Northman purposely leaves his children fatherless so he can kill his own mother, nephew/brother, and uncle in a Nordic murder-suicide. He’s a raider and a slaver. I don’t think he does a single decent or kindhearted thing the entire movie. If I had to guess, his line about not killing women was added by the studio. Possibly the self defense killing of his nephew/brother as well.

E: it was a very good movie, but I thought the ending was a little weak. Could have packed a bit more emotional weight with a less outrageous setting imo. A thunderstorm would have added more tension than a volcano to my mind, but still very strong.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Amleth immediately stabbing his nephew after his mom tries to force herself on him nearly got a laugh out of me in the theater. Almost too on the nose,

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Hand Knit posted:

One particular thing about the Northman I did like was how often there were little things going on in the background, often showing characters maybe having more agency than you'd expect. The one that stands out in particular was when they were sacking the Rus village, you get this short vignette of a woman coming forwards and falling to her knees to offer the raiders bread, but it's all a ruse as she lunges at one with a knife.

Pretty sure that woman was Olga.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

checkplease posted:

We see the former slaves burning the long house and cheering indicating a successful rebellion. I guess you could assume they died, but that’s like assuming that somehow they cannot survive without their rulers.

Oh, for sure they all died. They’re transplants to Iceland from Russia who, when told to do what they please, burn every last building in the settlement. This a movie about murder suicide at every level.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

During that sequence I kept an eye out for what foes Amleth engaged and he didn't go for any "innocents", he seemed to seek out armed men to kill. And when the other raiders were participating in various atrocities, Amleth stood apart and I got the impression that he had a degree of self awareness / loathing about being a part of it. I think that's a pretty interesting way to handle it because it allows the audience to draw their own conclusions about how sullied Amleth's soul is by killing the guards but distancing himself from the real carnage. Is there any real difference?

I didn’t get the sense Amleth stood apart from the slaughter; he was simply acting as the perfect raider. Amleth took care, even in his drug-induced frenzy, not to harm the “chattel” (as his fellow raider described the village’s women and children). At any rate, the idea that Amleth could somehow “distance” himself from active participation in a slave raid is preposterous.

Imo, the weakest parts of the movie are where Amleth is portrayed as somehow more moral than the bloodthirsty psychos that surround him. His line about not killing women is just preposterous. Why on earth would this raider and slaver not kill women? Where would he get the notion this was a bad thing to do?

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 26, 2022

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Someone upthread said that Amleth tried to rape Olga. I was day-drinking and had to take a couple bathroom breaks. Did I miss it?

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 26, 2022

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I really enjoyed Ethan Hawke’s line about the unknowable world of women. Can’t recall exactly how it went, but very well written. Also the phrase: “women’s tide” in reference to menstruation. I’m sure that’s an old one but it got me to crack a grin.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Spermando posted:

I think he said men shouldn't practice women's magic, which apparently was a very dishonourable thing in the viking age. And then you see his brother doing just that in his little temple.

Could you recount that for me? I took the line to mean something along the lines of: “the women are up the same insane poo poo that we are right now and you can never understand it.” The obvious implication being that women have their own secret internal spiritual/ritual life.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 29, 2022

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

What are you folks talking about when you say you can clearly see the studio interference? A woman pulls out her genitals and rubs period blood all over a guys face, and you still think this movie was numbed or defanged by studio influence? Where?

The parts of the movie that felt incongruous to me all had to do with Amleth’s reluctance to cross certain moral lines. His behavior during the raid, his comment about not killing women, and killing his step brother in self defense all felt at odds with who he should have been as a character.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

This scene stuck with me the entire time I watched this movie and really took away enjoyment I may have had for it.

I had sort of the opposite reaction. The scene stuck with me the entire movie and vastly improved my enjoyment of it.

The scene firmly grounds Amleth and establishes him as a man of his circumstances. Everything Amleth does in the film is done on the backdrop of his participation in the raid. The viewer recognizes that Amleth’s journey bears no moral weight, which lends the film a sense of narrative purity. There is no good and bad here, no right and wrong. Amleth is a hero in the classical sense, but we are not asked to identify with him or to justify his terrorization of Fjölnir’s settlement.