Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Finally got to watch it because I was visiting a larger city and one theater was still showing the film.

It was interesting to see the other (all male) audience members'' reactions. Two guys who were sitting in front walked out at the fertility festival scene and didn't come back. Two other guys walked out at the valkyrie scene I think, the one where Olga rescues Amleth I mean. Another guy walked out at one point, slamming the door, came back a long time after grinning to his friends like "can you believe this movie?" Guys on one row were also laughing at odd moments.

It may be just that the movie has been on for a long time so the audience now aren't going to be keen on Eggers or hyped for the movie, they may have went in expecting a simple popcorn flick and been disappointed. It also occured to me that since this was a Norwegian audience they may have had certain expectations for how viking related media is supposed to be and this broke with those.

I listened to the Saga Thing episode with Eggers and Sjon and it's awesome how much effort went into making the movie a real saga movie. The nose stabbing with the accompanying quip for example would have fit right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

What bothers Amleth isn't killing and enslaving a whole village or murdering some foreigner just for the hell of it because those are normal things in his world. It's his responsibility for taking revenenge and not to run from his fate which weighs on him. I think his motivations are deliberately alien to the audience. It's not the romantic and heroic viking story we're used to but a whole different experience we can't really sympathize with at all.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

One thing I noticed which it would be fun to read about if someone wanted to explore it is that both Amleth and Fjölnir talk about the other's evil and the necessity to extinguish it. I only watched the movie once but I distinctly remember the word evil being used that way.