Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Count Thrashula posted:

That's a shame, I loved Odyssey and Origins, and after seeing the Northman I figured I'd pick up Valhalla.

Mount and Blade Viking Conquest Mod my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Deformed Church posted:

It's not as big on the spurting blood as GoT (which got almost cartoonish in places) but it's still pretty grim.

One of the things that struck me while watching it is it's kind of a reverse horror movie. Amleth is coming back night after night to do horrible violence to a community of people who are pretty much all various shades of terrible (bar maybe the kid) but not actually responsible for the acts he's nominally seeking revenge for, while they're stuck flailing against an apparently supernatural force that they're unable to properly deal with. Only this time the monster is the protagonist and he essentially wins in the end.

The horror is just the day to day life of living in that society.

It seems like a lot of people who disliked it really wanted a morality tale but what was special to me about it was that the movie is about how the Norse (at least, the warrior class) viewed the world and their role in it. Having a “and that’s terrible” aside to the viewer constantly would have been awful, I feel like it’s sorta the moral equivalent of insultingly over the top exposition, like the fact the protagonist just rips a dudes throat out with his teeth while his friends burn children for shits and giggles without anyone commenting on it shows you how normalized horror and violence is for them. He’s a normal well adjusted member of a society that is unimaginably casually brutal and cruel. That’s what’s really horrifying. He chases after his own self destruction and refuses opportunities to raise his family or have a life beyond his revenge quest. Having a reluctant Viking that feels bad about killing children so he can be more relatable while raping and pillaging his way through the world seems a lot worse both as a movie and a morality tale imo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The film does exactly this though. Amleth refuses to kill women (personally, his mates can do it in front of him and that's fine) and "accidently" kills both Nicole Kidman and her other son after they attack and injure him first, in order to keep him "good-guy-ish" for the audience.

I see your point there, I interpreted it differently since he did still kill the kid. In my opinion feels bad because it’s his half brother and mom and that he literally did kill off his own kin, and not to humanize him. It still felt to me like the characters reactions were because that’s something even someone raised old Norse religion might frown in rather than an attempt to make us sympathize with him.