Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Movie was an elemental force onscreen. While we are awash in fantasy films that are readily unfantastical, we get this history-based film that is far more alien and unsettling in both form and content. Our own alienated positions in history, including wars that don’t feel like wars, clashes gorgeously with the characters’ deep-rootedness in family and Destiny.

Woodenlung posted:

Really surprised to hear him suggest he didnt have full creative freedom. and other people/press call it tame/watered down when it comes to gore and so on. There was some pretty brutal stuff that made that got to the people in the cinema. The guts falling out, that sword through the nose, the whole village including kids getting burnt alive, the torture, killing his own mom/step brother, and hell, his own mom trying to seduce him.... And uhm, am I out of my mind, or did we see Anya Taylor Joys chinchilla when she showed she had her period?

That's interesting that the press thinks the violence was tamed down, but my guess is that the studio's pushback was not with the violence/sex, but other stuff like the English dialogue and the editing's effect on storytelling pace.

DeimosRising posted:

drat they named their kid dumbass?

lol.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Monglo posted:

Why do you want penis so much?

Is this some kind of sick joke?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Not to dismiss your experience of the film, but I don't think one needs to root for the protagonist of a story to have a happy ending to be invested. What do you mean by the 'same old story'? Because to me, while the plot is purposely simplistic, the narrative as a whole is quite unique: that it's predictable is part and parcel of the Destiny story-line, which in and of itself distinguishes it from most contemporary films.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 2, 2022

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

I feel like there's a drive to find subtext in this movie because Eggers couldn't possibly have written a movie this simple, this *just text*.

But I'm fairly certain he did. There's no hidden directorial meaning or intent. No subversion. Everything he meant to say he put right out there, just like Amleth or Olga or anyone else in the movie screaming into the wind.

And it was fine. But I feel like in five years people will still be talking about The Lighthouse and even the Witch, but there just won't be much Northman discourse because, at the end of the day, there's just not that much to talk about there.

There is no hidden space underneath/behind/above. Texts achieve meaning through the process of reading, which means it’s the responsibility of the reader to posit the hidden space in the text, and then be judged as such.

For example, rather than pity the characters in this film for conceding their own agency to some imaginary myths, we can instead question our own contemporary sense of agency — that is as free-willed beings who have outgrown dumb superstitions.

“Back in 2007, former Fed chair Alan Greenspan had been asked by the Zürich daily Tages-Anzeiger which candidate he was supporting in the upcoming presidential election. His response was striking. How he voted did not matter, Greenspan declared, because “(we) are fortunate that, thanks to globalization, policy decisions in the US have been largely replaced by global market forces. National security aside, it hardly makes any difference who will be the next president. The world is governed by market forces.”
- Adam Tooze

At least the characters in this film do not take their agency for granted.