Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The latest Robert Eggers epic, starring Alexander Skarsgård, Anya Taylor-Joy and Claes Bang, with supporting cast Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe and the swan lady herself, Björk. The film starts off with a young prince Amleth witnessing the death of his father and vows to become a bat revenge upon the usurper, his Uncle.

The film has already premiered here in Europe, but I'm given to understand that it has yet been released in the US, so be ye warned, here be spoilers

Now I can already see some of you clever clogs thinking "Hold on a second, Amleth? Young prince, uncle murdering the king? You can't fool me, this is just Hamlet with the serial number filed off" Wrong, you absolute fool. It's actually the other way around. Hamlet is actually based on the old scandinavian folktale of young Amleth seeking revenge for his fathers unjust slaying. Eggers himself called it "Viking Hamlet. Or as one studio executive said, ‘I love this Viking version of The Lion King.’"

If you can imagine the kind of Arthurian storytelling of The Green Knight applied to Viking Hamlet and add lots of blood, nudity and muscles, you've probably gotten a good idea of what The Northman is. I personally liked this film quite a bit, and I encourage you all to go see it, if nothing else to encourage studios to make more films that aren't generic action IPs filled with quips and bland action scenes.

So uh, have at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Woodenlung posted:

The Witch is one of my favourite horror films of all time and I really like the lighthouse too, so was fairly excited for this. The trailer did not do overly much to me, although I liked them. Appeared too actiony for my taste, and the viking themes are some I dont enjoy much usually. But man, it ended up having all the classic Eggers traits I wanted, which the more trailers did not show that much of... and then some.

Really surprised to hear him suggest he didnt have full creative freedom. and other people/press call it tame/watered down when it comes to gore and so on. There was some pretty brutal stuff that made that got to the people in the cinema. The guts falling out, that sword through the nose, the whole village including kids getting burnt alive, the torture, killing his own mom/step brother, and hell, his own mom trying to seduce him.... And uhm, am I out of my mind, or did we see Anya Taylor Joys chinchilla when she showed she had her period?

Enjoyed every moment of it. Felt like a good fitting run time too. The only part I didnt love was the last 10 min or so.

You are not out of your mind, she bitchslapped him with her period blood. Guess you can call that a period piece :v:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

checkplease posted:

Finally watched both the Witch and Lighthouse. I’m ready and excited to hear that the 90 million movie still feels like his weird style/taste.

When the film was over, a lady one row back said to her boyfriend "yepp, this was an Eggers film alright"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I was having trouble searching for a takeaway from this movie until I read your post

Immediately after Amleth witnesses his kingdom getting raped and pillaged we cut to Amleth and a bunch of Vikings…. Raping and pillaging a village

The gods are real and they are helping Amleth along on his quest for revenge

Amleth is at a crossroads where he could go gently caress off and be happy, build a family, etc. All the good and moral things by our modern sensibilities. But he wants to kill

So my main takeaway is that the gods are assholes.

Well, Odyn is at least, but that's very much in character

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Monglo posted:

Why do you want penis so much?

Because we're gay, monglo

Also it's a little bit weird they're fine with a menstruating vaginaslap but not hanging dong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/zeroasalimit/status/1520587152702459906?s=20&t=tp-aqgRLJIR-QKLIsSfrZQ