Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Thanks, whoever stickied the thread! :neckbeard:

Hey, it’s Chickam time again, and this is our 14th year, yay!

You can watch the hatch, with sound and chat, here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

What The Hell Is *Chickam* You Ask?
Why it’s a live webcam feed of baby chicks hatching in my ReptiPro incubator, in my dining room! After the hatch, we’ll move the cam to the brooder box for the next 8 weeks, it will run 24/7, with sound, so you can watch the chicks grow up! You will also hear our family, since the chicks are taking over my dining room for the next 8 weeks.

If you have a question, fire away!

Hope everyone is ready for some hot chick action, ‘cause we’ve got eggs pipped and chicks on the way…

How Many?
This year, we started with 29 in the incubator, a variety of standard and bantam sizes. All of the bantam eggs are from our flock, but this year we bought some mixed-breed eggs from a neighbor in our valley.They run a mixed flock of Dark & Light Brahmas, Salmon Faverolles, Australorp, and Barred Rocks. So out of the 29 eggs, 17 eggs were from from our flock, the remaining 12 were from our neighbor’s hens.

After ten days I candled the eggs, 11 eggs were duds and were removed. That left us with 18 eggs that have embryos! 10 of ours, 8 of the neighbors. So a possible hatch of 18, though it will likely be less than that. Mother Nature ultimately makes the call and sometimes pulls the plug at the last minute. Bantam eggs like to hatch a day or so earlier then the usual incubation period of 21 days, though!
Here they are in lockdown, all ready to hatch!

By the way, after last year’s disaster we finally got the materials for a permanant brooder box and made one of a PVC framework with corrugated plastic sidewalls. We’ll be able to break it down from year to year and reuse it—no more whacking together a brooder out of cardboard, which makes me *very* happy.

So Club Flamingo is ‘Go!’

Will There Be A Mama Hen This Year?
MAYBE. Right now only 3 banty (small) hens in our flock have gone broody (gone over to the Dark Side and are in killer mama mode). Brick, Sophie and Bobo, all bantam Cochin mix hens. None of our big standard size hens are broody. Big hens can easily cover a bunch of chicks, but bantam hens cannot. Several mama hens would tend to fight over the chicks, so we’d only be able to use one hen for a foster mom. BUT--if all the eggs hatch, there will be too many chicks for one bantam hen, and when this happens mama gets pissy and can peck/hurt the chicks. So if roughly 7 or fewer chicks hatch, YES we can try to introduce a broody hen, if MORE than that hatch, no mama, sorry. Hopefully we can get the kids a foster mom, because watching a mama hen interact with her chicks is a blast. And no, broody hens don’t care if she laid those eggs or not, all she cares about is OMG CHICKS.

What’s With The Missing Sequential Numbers Of Eggs?
I candled (shined a bright light through each egg in a darkened room to see if there was an embryo inside) the eggs 10 days in and removed some duds, that’s why you’ll see a break in the numerical sequence of the eggs.

In addition to being numbered, the neighbor’s eggs are marked with an ‘N’ at the large end of the egg. Also, each egg is marked with an X on one side and an O on the other, this is for us to keep track of which egg was turned every time we turned the eggs—5 times a day for three weeks, by the way, because I wanted no life other that EGGS for the last three weeks.

What’s Taking So Long?! And ICK!
Patience, little one. When chicks hatch they pip first (peck a small airhole), then hours later (sometimes up to 24 hours later) start to ‘unzip’ their shell (peck in a line as they rotate in the shell) then finally kick free all at once. It’s hours of waiting with a sudden payoff at the end, but once they start to unzip they can be out of the shell anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour later—or anywhere in between. And YES, they are icky and slimy and lay around like wet noodles when they first hatch, don’t worry they get cute and fluffy as they dry and get stronger. Also, hatched chicks can be quite rough and step on each other, or flip over onto their backs and have trouble righting themselves—they’ll be okay, no damage is done; so don’t worry. We monitor them carefully and will lend a hand where needed. Ditto for any that require assistance hatching. Once dry and strong we move them and the cam to the brooder box, where mama will be installed overnight if we can use one this year.

I’ll list the eggs that have pipped and hatched here, with their progress and names, mama hen if known is noted:

1 (Mom—Nyx):
2 (Mom—Nyx):
5 (Mom—Peanut):
6 (Mom—Peanut):
7 (Mom—Rapunzel): Pipped 4/15 9A, Unzipping 11P, Hatched 4/15 at 6:30P, named 'Chris' Died 4/19 10PM
8 (Mom—Slick Charlie): 4/17 Pipped 2:30P, unzipped & hatched 11P. Named: 'Mr Boombastic Call Me Fantastic' by everyone wear hats now Died 5/4 8PM
9 Bantam egg: Pipped 4/14 2:30P, Unzipping 11P, Hatched 4/15 1:20P, named 'FLICKER' by SLICK GOKU BABY Died 4/19 7AM
10 Bantam egg:
11 Lt. Blue:
12 Lt. Blue: Pipped 4/14 4:30P, Hatched 4/15 8AM. Named: 'Become Ungovernable' by Sharpest Crayon Died 4/19 10PM

Neighbor’s Eggs also marked with ‘N’ on end:
18 Large Dark Brown:
22 Large Dark Pink-Brown:
23 Small Dark Brown: Pipped 4/15 7:45P, unzipped and hatched 4/16 9:15A. Named 'Arson' by Calvin on YouTube chat
24 Small Dark Brown:
25 Small Dark Brown:
27 Large Light Brown:
28 Large Light Brown:
29 Medium Slender Light Brown: Pipped 4/15 7:45P, Assisted hatch 4/16 9P. Named 'Brock Samson' by Beefed Owl Died 4/20 9PM

Two chicks from the feed store have been added:
One is a Danish Brown Leghorn named 'Frittata' by Mr. Barnesworth
The other is a Welsummer named 'Apricot' by kaom

The four new chicks from the feed store:
The buff Orpington (yellow/gold one) is 'Mjolnir', named by ChibiSheDevil
The Jersey Giant (black one) is 'Bu Lu', named by my cat is norris
The Smokey Pearl (white with black flecks) is 'Sesame', named by mustache ride
The last Smokey Pearl (the one with the black heart on her left thigh) is 'Enkidu', named by Like Clockwork

BTW—please keep the YouTube chat CLEAN. Lots of kids watch Chickam every year, likely moreso during the pandemic than ever. We have zero tolerance for over-the-top bad language, racism, hate or other things of that nature and will kick & ban anyone not being a decent human being.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART: YOU GUYS GET TO NAME THE CHICKS!
I continue to add names to the hat right up till the last chick hatches--so either post them here or in chat. Egg number has no bearing on what name they get, it’s just whoever hatches first gets named first. Post your name suggestions here, ONE per Goon, please--be advised we already have chickens named things like ‘Dinner’, ‘Burger’, etc.--so use your imagination and give us some good/weird/fun chicken names! If your name suggestion was chosen in the past and a chicken named, I’ll let you know and you can repost a new name. BUT--If your name wasn't chosen, feel free to use it again! These are CHICKENS after all, and should have silly names. As each chick hatches we will draw a name for it out of a hat!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

#9 is sloooowly unzipping and *might* hatch by morning, so just in case, we're kicking things off now...'cause I gotta sleep.

The YouTube channel will be up in a few minutes, hang in there!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It isn't Easter without Chickam! :neckbeard:

My name for a chicken is Snyder.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Has there ever been a Darth Vader before? If not, that's my contribution.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Probably unoriginal but I think Beeker would be a fab name.

Edit: there's a solid chance I suggested this in a previous year.

So actually let's go T-rex Manning since it's so close to Rex manning day.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 15, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I imagine all the good puns have been taken

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For this year I want to suggest the name Tractor.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Such good news!

I nominate Sherbert as a name for one of these floofballs-to-be.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Glad you've found a brooder box solution, the new one looks great!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Every year I submit Brock Samson and I hope this is the year.

Although I can't remember if it was used in a previous year

Beefed Owl fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 15, 2022

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It isn't spring without Chickam!

I'd like to see one named Chunk after our cat.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
So happy to see the traditional easter chickam again.

I'd like to suggest the name Become Ungovernable

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! Thank you for letting us peep into your peeps, it's the highlight of spring

Name for consideration: Toast

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yay, Chickam!!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I was literally thinking about my childhood chickens the other day :unsmith: I'm assuming Henrietta has already been used in the past so I'd like to throw in Sailor Mars for the pile!

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Maxine von Chicksworth, just because.

And yay! Chickam time

yippeekiyaymf fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 15, 2022

Sugar Hiccup
Dec 15, 2009

oh no
I love Chickam season, I'll throw Shindy into the hat.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
Please consider - Margit, The Shell Open

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Name a chick FLICKER in all caps. Very important.

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
Love is the stuff inside.
Please name a chick Pumpernickel.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Chickam!

May the God-Empress of Fowlkind bless us with their presence. If it's a rooster he can be an Emperor, if he wants.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Hell yes, ground floor! :stoked: I missed the hatch last year so I'm glad I caught the thread in time this year.

Tossing the name Tortoise into the ring. Tortie for short :3:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Not sure if name ideas carry over from the backyard thread, so just in case I'm submitting Boop!

Yay Chickam :3:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Putting in my names:

Kung Pao
Parmesan
Alfredo
Sesame

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 15, 2022

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Yay Chickam!!

Because I’m a nerd I’d like to suggest Crow T. Chicken for one of them. :3:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sir Reginald Featherbottom III would make a great name for a chick

edit: just wanted to bold the name for clarity.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 15, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

12 just started making an attempt at a break out. I think that's called pipping? I normally just watch them after they are hatched.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The pip is a little hole they open with their beaks so that they can start letting in air! 12 is unzipping, which is the process of actually hatching.

Adexia on YouTube (former goon) is requesting Video Games be entered into the naming hat.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Hello yes i'd like to request the name Mr boombastic call me fantastic please and thank you

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Name one goose or some other kinda bird. Give them an identity crisis later in chicken life

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

12 appears to be mostly out of the egg now and ready for life!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I request the name Patatas Bravas for one of these birdos

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#12 has hatched! No name as yet, I'm making the list now and a name will be chosed by the kid when she wakes up

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yay chickam!

please name one Willabirb

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Baby chickens (:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Chickam! :neckbeard:

I suggest Fogleg Hornhorn as a name, preferably for a chick with a southern accent.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
May I offer these contributions as names:

Wheeljack
Cliffjumper
Perceptor
Seaspray
Powerglide

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If the BYC thread names aren't carrying over, then I pick "the rubber one", otherwise I'll stick with Lulu, to go with lu bu and bu lu.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Obie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Fluffernutter