Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Sorry to have to tell everyone that little Boomtastic didn't make it. I'm pretty sure she had some profound internal development issues that she just couldn't overcome, poor baby.

Everyone else looks great. Arson is now the only chick we hatched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

She looked like she was struggling a lot today, I wondered what the repeated twitching/head bobbing was. Glad she's at peace :(

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Oh no! That's very sad but glad they had a lovely time surrounded by pals. God speed Mr Boombastic Call Me Fantastic..

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
She tried, but she seemed to have some sort of issue with her glands not producing growth hormones, which was causing physical arrested development - if it was that it was genetic rather than anything to do with the hatching.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Gonna light a candle for every little chick we lost, they will peep on in our hearts and memories

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hello. My Name is
[Bid for freedom]

(she flew up there)

E: please enjoy the picture I accidentally uploaded and now can't delete.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^ LOL

Yeah, this batch is uppity and I fully expect them to be leaping out of the box left and right.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for taking good care of the chicks. It's sad and I'm not happy that it's happening, but given the circumstances being with you they had their best chance and life.

I loved watching them attack the corn last night. They were so enthusiastic but still needed help cutting it. What fierce predators :kimchi:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

she's now flapping her wings as fast as she can but is a chicken not a harrier jump jet.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I can't believe it was like a minute ago when they just hatched and were little floof balls and now they're already looking like chicken highschool all the way, it's insane how fast they grow!!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’m so sorry about Boom! I really hoped she’d pull through, I thought she looked a little better 2-3 days ago since she was going nuts for the corn and actually snuggling up to the others to sleep. It’s too bad she didn’t make it. She was well-cared for and she had the best conditions possible. :love:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yeah, this batch is uppity and I fully expect them to be leaping out of the box left and right.

I’m excited to see who breaks out first. Bu Lu is so tall that I’m thinking it could be her, but she seems like less of a troublemaker than Apricot and Enkidu…

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Odds are they wake up to find Arson on the pillow.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Just had an episode of Mjolnir vs The Dirt Clod.
spoiler: The dirt clod won.

Mjolnir sees her prey: an unsuspecting dirt clod!

CHARGE!!!

Ha ha, but the treacherously crafty dirt clod trips our tiny hero!

...who goes rear end over teakettle while the humans struggle NOT to laugh.

Also, Mjolnir needs her lil' porthole cleaned again.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
am now skellington with my skin on the floor

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Baby snek had two pinkies at his feed on Thursday without regurgitating and today let me handle him good as gold, he's going to be ok :)

As cruel as mother nature has been this year, there is one little life still with us because Brock fascinated him enough for him to take an interest in coming out to watch chickam. Once he started coming out to watch her instead of hiding he realised that "hey I don't need to hide in this one place 24/7" and started to thermoregulate properly - without that his digestive system wouldn't have recovered. So I'm not just saying all this without reason, Brock and boom may have gone to the great cornfield in the sky, but because they lived 4500 miles away a baby snake launched himself at a mouse and gave himself a self-satisfied little hiss.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
I heard you asking the babies if they wanted to go play in the snow on cam yesterday, VS. Snow?? Those birds have got to be wondering how they can get out of this chickenshit outfit :haw:

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 10, 2022

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

"We do not know what this snow is but we know we don't like it"

Had a bit of a downward spiral this evening, re: the state of women's rights in this country, amongst other things. I was kindly reminded to check on the little baby birds.

What a balm. Thank you, little chickies :kimchi:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Turned the hay and gave the chicks a new grassy dirt clod, so all is happiness right now.

And yeah, day before yesterday it was snowing. Today is almost 80 degrees.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Baby snek had two pinkies at his feed on Thursday without regurgitating and today let me handle him good as gold, he's going to be ok :)

As cruel as mother nature has been this year, there is one little life still with us because Brock fascinated him enough for him to take an interest in coming out to watch chickam. Once he started coming out to watch her instead of hiding he realised that "hey I don't need to hide in this one place 24/7" and started to thermoregulate properly - without that his digestive system wouldn't have recovered. So I'm not just saying all this without reason, Brock and boom may have gone to the great cornfield in the sky, but because they lived 4500 miles away a baby snake launched himself at a mouse and gave himself a self-satisfied little hiss.

Awww.... :neckbeard:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Turned the hay and gave the chicks a new grassy dirt clod, so all is happiness right now.

:kimchi:

I also caught this a couple nights ago - Arson trying to be tall like Bu Lu.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

bu lu is a trend setter

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

kaom posted:

:kimchi:

I also caught this a couple nights ago - Arson trying to be tall like Bu Lu.

LOL. By the way, Arson is looking to be at least part bantam. Also, kaom was right and Enkidu is the first to make it up to the edge of the box, she flew up there right in front of us and perched. Won't be long 'til they are all rampaging through the house...

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Velvet Sparrow posted:

LOL. By the way, Arson is looking to be at least part bantam. Also, kaom was right and Enkidu is the first to make it up to the edge of the box, she flew up there right in front of us and perched. Won't be long 'til they are all rampaging through the house...

Out of curiosity what do you do with them at that point? Do you move them outside to a coop or do they just get to wander around the house for a while?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

They’re growing up so fast :kimchi:

Someone was asleep on top of the camera yesterday too lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Back when we raised chicks we always had a couple stages of box sizes, starting with a smaller box inside the house. When they'd start getting feathered and trying to make their way out of the original one, they'd graduate to the bigger setup out in the garage (think like a refrigerator box on its side). After being out there for a while, they were big enough to introduce to the outdoor coop with the bigger birds.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

They are so big already!! I can't believe how fast these babies grow, what is this sorcery

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Out of curiosity what do you do with them at that point? Do you move them outside to a coop or do they just get to wander around the house for a while?

Stuff 'em back in the box over and over. Actually, we have a hardward cloth cover we can put over the box when needed. The chicks start to spend daytime hours out in the small run at around 7 weeks of age. Seperate from the adults and safe, but it gets them used to being outside. At 8 weeks old they go out into the yard for good and Chickam ends...unless I get another hatch.

Still debating if I want chickens in my house for 4 months and over summer. I may end up running a hatch early next year instead.

New view, we moved the camera up to the edge of the box! Also, it is now warm enough, and the chicks are feathered, so we can turn off the lights during the day. It makes for a better view, and you guys can see the true colors of the chicks. We left the pole over the middle of the box that the big light was hung on, the chicks enjoy perching on it. So if you see chicks dive-bombing their siblings from above, that's why.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Gonna start turning the light off over the chicks at night as long as it's warm enough. They need to start getting used to darkness as night. There may be some anxious peeping at first, they're okay!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I prefer odd-shaped eggs too. You never know what you can find.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lick your eggs, or have a friend lick them.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

They’re getting so big :3:

Have any escaped the box yet, aside from perching?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

watching them eat eggs when not too long ago they were eggs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They really are getting big. They're actual chickens now!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love them so much. Any idea which are roosters?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPc6Jsw7E8

Somebody linked me this earlier, pretty neat. Warnings for the falcon feeding pigeons to the babies, though.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

BTW, at night when the lights are off, the chicks like to engage in Chick Bowling--waiting until two of your sisters are roosting/sleeping on the edge of the box, then jump up and cannonball into BOTH of them, knocking them off onto the floor in the dark.
If you're wondering the cause for all of the outraged screaming. Last night was a flippin' free-for-all. The chicks are getting restless and VERY obnoxious about wanting to roam the house/raid the fridge.

The chicks will be 7 weeks old this weekend. Weather permitting, we'll be putting them out in the small run during the day to get them used to the great outdoors/the big chickens, and to give the adult chickens time to get over their snit and adjust their attitude. At 8 weeks old the chicks will go out into the yard for good and Chickam will end for this year, I'll take more pictures of the chicks at that time.

The kid said she heard crowing the other morning, but nothing since. Possibly Arson is a roo, or Mjolnir. All of the others are certified girls. Time will tell!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The kid said she heard crowing the other morning, but nothing since. Possibly Arson is a roo, or Mjolnir. All of the others are certified girls. Time will tell!

I’m so curious how this will turn out. You wouldn’t be able to keep any additional roosters, right?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Is it hard to introduce the babbies to the adult gang? I can imagine some being like, what the gently caress is it about these youngsters!

Also the chick bowling is very much my kind of thing to observe, it's hilarious

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

We can't keep any additional roos. We have too many now as it is...
We are members of a poultry club that holds a chicken swap once a month so rehoming fresh rooboys isn't a problem.

As for mixing the new chicks into our existing flock, as long as we ease the chicks into the flock by housing them in the small run so everyone can Meet & Greet in a safe way it's not a problem. Interestingly, usually it's hens that are in the middle of the pecking order ladder that pick fights. But by having them spend a week in the small run, it gives everyone the time they need to get over themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPc6Jsw7E8

Somebody linked me this earlier, pretty neat. Warnings for the falcon feeding pigeons to the babies, though.

Nice, love a good falcon cam. Giant floppy babies with beaks that mean absolute business, and I get to practice my French reading the chat!

Meanwhile:

>freeze-frame< I bet you're wondering how I got into this mess. Well, let me back up a second, my name's Arson and I was just minding my business perching on the camera when-

Oh wait I have wings lol, mess averted, carry on