Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Sesame (the Smokey Pearl with the dark grey face/legs) has developed a dot of black feathers almost *exactly* over her vent. :v:

Can't put the chicks out in the small run yet during the day because out weather has turned cold/windy, threatening thunderstorms. When we do start putting them out during the day, the cam will be off for those hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

The weather is nice, not a cloud in the sky and it's warming! :v:
So later on when the kid gets up (she got back from a con yesterday and is pooped) we'll take the chicks out into the small run for the day!

The cam will be turned off for the hours they are outside, turned on again when they come back in this evening. This will be the first step in safely acclimating them to the outdoors. We'll also get them a new dirt clod today.

If all goes well, this is the final week of Chickam and the chicks will be turned out into the flock for good this weekend. I'll be sure to take new pictures of the little beasts before we do.

This has been one of the more troublemaker-laden groups, LOL. And it's ALL of them. Constantly jumping out/knocking each other off the edge of the box. With much vocal drama. I keep finding them wandering the dining room/kitchen/living room, especially at night when there is light in the room then go to. Nosy Parkers, every one of them.

EDIT--Yesterday didn't work out, so...
The babies are going outside to the small, enclosed run for the day NOW, the livestream will resume this evening when they come back inside. Everyone wish them well on their first day outside!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 7, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Chica wow boom!

Thanks.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'm so excited for them, I hope we can get some pictures of them in the flock going about their business in the future, too, they have many stories to write

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thank you for all of this, and megatron thanks you too.

Latest picture, he's turning into a round shape and smashing fluffs, so we can say with certainty that out of this year's batch there was an extra little one who made it too.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

learnincurve posted:

Thank you for all of this, and megatron thanks you too.

Latest picture, he's turning into a round shape and smashing fluffs, so we can say with certainty that out of this year's batch there was an extra little one who made it too.

What a beautiful snek. A fine reptilian.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The chicks have been spending the days out in the small run and our weather is holding, so on Sunday the kid and I will get pictures of them and their fluffy little butts will get booted out into the flock for good--and Chickam will end for this year.
Then I have some major investigating on our equipment to see what is causing our problems.

But until then, they insist on sleeping atop the protective cage we made for the laptop (they kept walking on it and changing settings) next to the brooder box. They ignore the pole across the top of the box, or even the edges of the box itself and all seven insist on packing together like this:

The old towel is there so the laptop doesn't get pooped into oblivion.

But THIS is how Bu Lu sleeps, silly girl.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The best darn hens right there.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

This is the gang coming together for a photo shoot

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Man they are HUGE

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

have good happy lives CHICKENS

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Velvet Sparrow posted:

But until then, they insist on sleeping atop the protective cage we made for the laptop (they kept walking on it and changing settings)

:lol:

But they're looking great, feels like they're growing like crazy every time I see them.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Honestly it is such a miracle to think that just two months ago these absolute babies were just small little eggs and now they're teenagers about to rock the park!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It was so wonderful as it is every year to watch this miracle of life from the start, hurdles and valleys and dirt clods and all. Big thanks to the velvet sparrow family for continuing to host this.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

They are adorable, I love the chicken pile :kimchi: Thank you for everything you do to run this!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

But THIS is how Bu Lu sleeps, silly girl.

:kimchi: So proud of this strange, feathered child.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

bu lu rules

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

This thread always makes me smile.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for hosting another year of chickam, VS! Despite all the troubles it was still very enjoyable, and I hope you can figure out what's up with your gear without too much stress and/or money spent.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This thread always makes me smile.

I'm sure it does, Professor Crocodile

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Okay, decent chick pics taken...not great, as they ALL gave us trouble. I'll get them posted on my blog later, with a link to it here and on our Twitter Chickam page.

Last chance to see the chicks, the kid and I are trimming their wings right now (there will be MUCH hollering) , then they'll go outside for good and Chickam will end.
They'll be in the small run today, at dusk they go into the big run with the adults (darkness minimizes bullying) and tomorrow run the yard with everyone else.

Thanks for everyone sticking with us, I know the last two years have been a baby chick snuff film. I'll get it figured out, I promise.

EDIT-- Baby chick pics! Not the best quality, but hey. Uncooperative subjects and dark, thunderstormy weather which my camera HATES.
https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2022/06/baby-chick-pics-at-two-months-old.html

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2022

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Best of luck chickens!! :love: Thanks again for Chickam!

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Why do the feathers need to be trimmed?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I think it's because some chickens, depending on size and such, can fly relatively well and like to get away, which can lead to them being hit a car or ending up as meal for some other eager animal roaming the streets. You cut off half of a single special feather on one side of the chicken, which makes their balance go funky and they don't even try to get airborne. As far as I know, apart from being unable to fly they do not notice that their feather is cut short and they can't feel pain there or anything, so it's probably like having an annoying hair cut.
I just remembered reading about this, though, might be wrong and there are more or other reasons to do it.

Also

kaom posted:

Best of luck chickens!! :love: Thanks again for Chickam!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

We sometimes used to trim our chickens' wings when we were able to let them roam out in the yard just so they wouldn't get any ideas about flying too much or hurting themselves making clumsy landings. The feathers on their wings stick out enough that trimming them down is perfectly safe, it really is like giving them a haircut and and the discomfort is just how receptive they are to being held and having their wings moved around.

It's also fun when you forget to do the trimming. Sometimes we'd go out in the evening to make sure all the chickens were rounded up. The tamer ones often go back into the coop on their own, but some of the fancier ones would be like "we're forest birds now" and we'd find them roosting eight feet up in trees instead :buddy:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

best bale posted:

Why do the feathers need to be trimmed?

Yup, exactly as others have said. Youngsters are light in weight and brains, and not being wise to the ways of the world can easily fly over fences (or leapfrog from one object to the next and make it over that way). The yards around us are home to dogs that would happily kill them. Once they get older and heavier, and realize that chickens belong on the GROUND and that dogs are dangerous, they'll be okay. Generally we only trim wings on the little bantams once they get to be adults.

I've got enough of a problem that the adult bantams have discovered that they can get up into my plum tree (when it bloomed they LOVED the blossoms), so the d'Uccles hang there like fruit and shred the leaves, the stinkers. The kid is constantly going out to pluck banties out of the tree.

Also, the babies are doing great out in the yard, Day 2 of being mixed with the flock. Mostly they are hanging around in the run, as expected.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you the extremely informative and thorough replies!

Captain Hygiene posted:

some of the fancier ones would be like "we're forest birds now" and we'd find them roosting eight feet up in trees instead :buddy:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The kid is constantly going out to pluck banties out of the tree.

Both of these are amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also, the babies are doing great out in the yard, Day 2 of being mixed with the flock. Mostly they are hanging around in the run, as expected.

Thanks as always for blessing the internet with these fine friends.